• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NPR Selena Roberts interview

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Or rather lack of "on the record" response.

Thanks for posting it. I heard it on the way home last week.

The very final bit says that Don Catlin is about to come with a more detailed statement soon.
Anybody know of of anything?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
The very final bit says that Don Catlin is about to come with a more detailed statement soon.
Anybody know of of anything?

I heard it too. She read a prepared statement from him. Selena may have a long wait.

stood_up.JPG

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Seems like Catlin has two paths to choose from:

1. Absolute honesty and clarity

2. CYA

Anyone wish to make a poll?

He's had a week to respond to NPR's questions and nada, so I pick #2

Alpe d'Huez said:
Seems like Catlin has two paths to choose from:

1. Absolute honesty and clarity

2. CYA

Anyone wish to make a poll?

He can't say anything- or rather-He won't be allowed- due to his involvement with the Olympic committee.

on topic- the fact that NPR picked on the topic, indicates that this case has a potential to reach national attention-even if LA & his PR operation want the story to stay on Forums & within inside the sport.....

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
wow. Listened to that and can't help but be encouraged for Armstrong. She wrongly explains what EPO is, she gives a timeline of 2 weeks for Armstrong to get counsel and respond to remarks before they are printed in one the the largest sports mags. She classifies fellow team mates as employees of Armstrong. Then tries a government weave on the Postal Service..like congress or the Pres. gave authorization for the sponsorship..next she may want to go over postal rate increases..just to see in any have any tie to Lance's financial needs. Says she gets a sense of totality from all the people she has spoken with..She talked to Bug George or Ekimov for the story ? You would think that after NPR almost got there goose cooked over Juan Williams that they would be a little more careful. Catlin helped Lance? They should just have swimsuit issues all the time..or ask Frank Deford to talk w Lance

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
wow. Listened to that and can't help but be encouraged for Armstrong. She wrongly explains what EPO is, she gives a timeline of 2 weeks for Armstrong to get counsel and respond to remarks before they are printed in one the the largest sports mags. She classifies fellow team mates as employees of Armstrong. Then tries a government weave on the Postal Service..like congress or the Pres. gave authorization for the sponsorship..next she may want to go over postal rate increases..just to see in any have any tie to Lance's financial needs. Says she gets a sense of totality from all the people she has spoken with..She talked to Bug George or Ekimov for the story ? You would think that after NPR almost got there goose cooked over Juan Williams that they would be a little more careful. Catlin helped Lance? They should just have swimsuit issues all the time..or ask Frank Deford to talk w Lance

You've gotta have a story written (with spaces for rebuttal) before you bother contacting him for comment. His lawyers interfered so much, it took time actually write the damn thing.

He knew about the story long before it was written. But see, not everything is about Lance. This story had an angle, and that angle wasn't something up for being controlled by Armstrong. He was given an opportunity to comment after his attorneys knew they couldn't make certain parts go away, but instead of commenting, he threw a tantrum. As usual.

fatandfast said:
She wrongly explains what EPO is

"a drug called EPO, which is a blood oxygenator. It really helps you so much in the mountains, and it gives you an incredible boost."

What's wrong with that?

she gives a timeline of 2 weeks for Armstrong to get counsel and respond to remarks before they are printed in one the the largest sports mags.

"Well, for two weeks, we reached out to Lance Armstrong"

That's how long she tried. Nothing here about a timeline, whether this was the last two weeks before publication, whether she wouldn't have extended the time if LA's team had been serious about responding.

She classifies fellow team mates as employees of Armstrong.

"did he pressure his fellow riders, who would be considered sort of his employees, to take drugs?"

You are aware that LA basically made the hiring decisions on his teams, aren't you? And that he paid them bonuses from his TDF winnings?

Then tries a government weave on the Postal Service..like congress or the Pres. gave authorization for the sponsorship..

Where does she say that? I can't find it.

Says she gets a sense of totality from all the people she has spoken with..

" I think that if you take the totality of who we talked to, maybe one or two of the people we spoke to had been in litigation."

You really like to misrepresent what people say, don't you? Wouldn't it just be easier if you said, I really hope this investigation goes nowhere? No need to spend so much time and effort twisting what others say to fit your desires.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
You really like to misrepresent what people say, don't you? Wouldn't it just be easier if you said, I really hope this investigation goes nowhere? No need to spend so much time and effort twisting what others say to fit your desires.

Their (paid) job isn't to cheer the visiting team and to boo us, their job is to obfuscate and lay-down deliberate distortions of fact in the hopes that we'll remember their words and go on to repeat them ourselves (so that we destroy our own credibility). They know that journalists come in here looking for data, and whatever they can do to make the data flawed, is good in their eyes. They want the journalists to think we're not credible so they'll stop coming.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
"a drug called EPO, which is a blood oxygenator. It really helps you so much in the mountains, and it gives you an incredible boost."

What's wrong with that?

"Well, for two weeks, we reached out to Lance Armstrong"

That's how long she tried. Nothing here about a timeline, whether this was the last two weeks before publication, whether she wouldn't have extended the time if LA's team had been serious about responding.

"did he pressure his fellow riders, who would be considered sort of his employees, to take drugs?"

You are aware that LA basically made the hiring decisions on his teams, aren't you? And that he paid them bonuses from his TDF winnings?

Where does she say that? I can't find it.

" I think that if you take the totality of who we talked to, maybe one or two of the people we spoke to had been in litigation."

You and I just totally disagree on math.
The majority of EPO users are not athletes. Chronic conditions dictate the drug being administered not sport performance. Selena was lose with that the drug was never legal in sports.

As a figurehead/spokesman of an organization that employs 1000s and controls millions of dollars..2 weeks or 2 months are not enough time to conduct a possible cause and effect on comments made by Armstrong directly.

His team mates were never his employees. Completely wrong on it's face.

Caution by Armstrong dealing with Selena Roberts is justified just from her record. When she wrote a work of science fiction about the Duke Lacrosse rape case. She spent weeks on racism and the back round of rich white parents getting unfair advantage in the court room and criminal process. She was completely wrong and helped ruin lives and futures of people involved. She is the journalism equiv of Landis..a complete hack and a person with a very questionable history.

She is desperate. One thing is for sure. Over his 20 year career LA has had relationships with lots of people, her lean on that a majority think his legacy is something sinister is again science fiction

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
The majority of EPO users are not athletes. Chronic conditions dictate the drug being administered not sport performance. Selena was lose with that the drug was never legal in sports.

As a figurehead/spokesman of an organization that employs 1000s and controls millions of dollars..2 weeks or 2 months are not enough time to conduct a possible cause and effect on comments made by Armstrong directly.

Caution by Armstrong dealing with Selena Roberts is justified just from her record. When she wrote a work of science fiction about the Duke Lacrosse rape case. She spent weeks on racism and the back round of rich white parents getting unfair advantage in the court room and criminal process. She was completely wrong and helped ruin lives and futures of people involved. She is the journalism equiv of Landis..a complete hack and a person with a very questionable history.

She is desperate. One thing is for sure. Over his 20 year career LA has had relationships with lots of people, her lean on that a majority think his legacy is something sinister is again science fiction

Ahh....the smear campaign has begun.

SI gave Armstrong well over a month to respond. As usual his legal played games. Their intent was never to respond but to delay and diminish the article as much as possible by scaring the SI Editor.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

"Lance wasn't held to that standard, but since he was the boss, we figured it was O.K.": Dylan Casey.

He had ownership in Tailwind Sports, the employees of the team considered him to be "the boss" (this is only one in a long list of similar comments by other riders), and he acted in a way which impacted the employment of others.

I think by pretty much any legal standard, he was indeed an employer. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that's what the courts will decide.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Even when Floyd was maintaining innocence in his book, he made it very clear that Lance was the boss. Clearly the boss. No mistaking he was the boss. Everyone understood it and treated him as the boss. And he expected that treatment.

There's no hiding this anymore.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:

I don't know what you mean by "disagree on math." Was Roberts making the case that EPO was designed or promoted as a drug for athletes as you all but state above? In the context of this article, discussing EPO in terms of sports performance seems apropos. Its prima facia that EPO is a medical drug first.

Armstrong should easily be able to respond to these allegations in two weeks, because his time frame to think about this has been since Landis made his announcements and Novitsky began his investigation. He has had months to formulate a response. Furthermore, if the article contained nothing new, as his lawyer claimed, then he's had years.

I agree that use of the term employer is problematic. I wish that I knew more about Armstrong's role on the team. Was he part owner? Did he make personnel decisions for the team. Was he simply an equal teammate or was he like a boss or a manager? I guess the question is, did he have a role of authority over the other riders? Do you believe the answer to that question is "no"?

The Duke Lacross incident was unfortunate for everyone involved. I think its clear that the Duke students did not rape the stripper, but acted with significant racial prejudice toward the strippers. Roberts, along with many other reporters, was fooled by this woman and the prosecutor who both lied. Roberts was using this event to make a larger argument about white privilege. Roberts was right was right about white privilege and how it operates in elite academic settings. The woman who lied and the prosecutor who supported her undermined Roberts' larger point about race which was and still is accurate. Your attempt to paint her as desperate is inappropriate and unfair unless you have substantial support for that position.

TRENDING THREADS