• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NTT in 2020

There seems to be a bit of an uptick in results. Surely the Bjarne effect can't be that swift.

Tactically they are riding like his teams always did - aggressively and creatively, with a high degree of coordination.

So I'd say yes :)

Where he has had very little impact, as of yet, is what riders are in the team, that change will only occur for the 2021 season.

Also, it should be mentioned, that Riis is the overall strategy guy, the "big idea" guy..... Michaelsen is the lead DS who implements it all and worries about the nitty-gritty.

None of what Riis wants would be possible without Michaelsen, so he is at least as responsible, in any changes we see in NTT this year.

Because of Riis' history people under estimate how much he does know about the sport, just like shudder Bruyneel shudder. On paper NTT has a decent squad that is underperforming, rather than a very weak one and their wins have come from decent riders like Nizzolo and O'Connor who have some handy wins in the past.

If you look back at the peak years of CSC, sure they had an excellent squad (Basso, Sastre, Schlecks, Cancellara, O'Grady, Julich, Voigt etc) but what Riis seemed to excel in was binding it all together into something cohesive. Watch Overcoming and you'll see.

What I like best is how the tactic for stage 4 in Etoile has been described. Basically (paraphrased):
"I have this idea. It's kind of crazy, but let's try." And - based on a post in the LKRR thread about it actually being Valgren they were supposed to ride for - it seems to then have become a case of: "Oh, ***! Michael doesn't have it. You go Ben!"

BTW, should this thread be merged with this one?

Reactions: postmanhat
What I like best is how the tactic for stage 4 in Etoile has been described. Basically (paraphrased):
"I have this idea. It's kind of crazy, but let's try." And - based on a post in the LKRR thread about it actually being Valgren they were supposed to ride for - it seems to then have become a case of: "Oh, ***! Michael doesn't have it. You go Ben!"

BTW, should this thread be merged with this one?

Probably, yes. Mods ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts