• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NYPD sentenced to pay up $98.000 to cyclist.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wed 31 Mar 2010, 5:00 pm | "While I'm pleased with the monetary victory for myself and the other plaintiffs, there will be no real justice until the higher-ups in the NYPD are held accountable for their actions, and it is not just the low ranking officers who are punished," said plaintiff Richard Vazquez.

The Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB) CCRB reopened the case when an audio of Sgt. Horohoe's previous statement regarding the incident did not correspond to recent footage of the incident found on a (You Tube Video).
Sgt. Horohoe testified before the CCRB that Vazquez rode into him. However the YouTube video clearly shows Sgt. Horohoe pushing Vazquez off his bike.

"This validates our concerns over the years that the NYPD is wrongfully harassing cyclists, especially cyclists that choose to ride in groups," Barbara Ross from Times Up said. "We believe cyclist group rides are constitutionally protected if all the rules of the road are being followed."

More than that, Ross sees this case as a victory for cyclists rights.

Whole report: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/five-new-york-cyclists-awarded-98000-in-police-lawsuit-25591

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
Wed 31 Mar 2010, 5:00 pm | "While I'm pleased with the monetary victory for myself and the other plaintiffs, there will be no real justice until the higher-ups in the NYPD are held accountable for their actions, and it is not just the low ranking officers who are punished," said plaintiff Richard Vazquez.

The Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB) CCRB reopened the case when an audio of Sgt. Horohoe's previous statement regarding the incident did not correspond to recent footage of the incident found on a (You Tube Video).
Sgt. Horohoe testified before the CCRB that Vazquez rode into him. However the YouTube video clearly shows Sgt. Horohoe pushing Vazquez off his bike.

"This validates our concerns over the years that the NYPD is wrongfully harassing cyclists, especially cyclists that choose to ride in groups," Barbara Ross from Times Up said. "We believe cyclist group rides are constitutionally protected if all the rules of the road are being followed."

More than that, Ross sees this case as a victory for cyclists rights.

Whole report: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/five-new-york-cyclists-awarded-98000-in-police-lawsuit-25591

this value estimates that **** Vazquez's bicycle is worth $97,999.98 he is worth less than 2 cents. The cop was totally wrong for knocking the guy on the ground. The guy and all his other Times Up azzbags should take the 98k and move to Vermont.Spiting on police, taunting them,disrespecting rules of public safety should be at a very minimum punishable but decking a guy. Time is up for Timesup. Riding fixed gear bikes through groups of tourists to prove any point is fu-king stupid. Sorry some of the TU injuries were not more serious.NYPD should use water cannons on these clowns

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
spike61 said:
fatandfast, do you live and ride in NYC?

Best place I have ever trained and raced. Mountains 30 min by bike from the city. The fixed gear as-holes are just a part of the landscape. Such a big cycling scene that there are bad and good within. Tats and rebel yellers on brakeless junk claiming that the cops are the reason they ran the light or were smashed by a cab while barreling brakeless down a busy street. F them. People training.working, going to school need not be combined with the rebel dix looking to party on a police buck.NYC has great cops,roads and cyclists the cashers of this check are not any of them. Critical Mass/Times Up/Trans Alt should all be put in jail for a cool off. You can ride your bike to the beach,bar,grocery or date in NYC w/o event until the people who got this cash got involved. Their cycling life will be short thank god.NYPD I am the guy,bent elbows,eyes straight ahead pushing the gear riding in whatever conditions,honk or yell at me and I will stop to listen.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Ya Fastandfat, I agree that there are bad and good within the cycling scene here in NYC. Probably the same in the cop scene, and the pedestrian and tourist contingent.

When I first got to the city, I got some clients and worked as a bike messenger to learn the streets. As a middle-aged woman on a beater mountainbike I definitely didn't fit into the "culture" but it was a great view. After getting hit a couple times by parkingspotinsanity driven drivers, I lost my edge, and only got it back by watching the fixi'ed "old-timers" flow through mid-town, downtown, relaxed pedaling circles. Not to be too corny (I'm a martial artist too) they were like samurai in the middle of battle, entering cutting entering cutting. So I found my flow again, kept working.

There are posers, a-holes just like anywhere else. And if I had a firehose, I'd probably use it on the tourists wandering through streets and bikelanes without a clue to even look to see if I'm coming. Transalt, Critmass, and TimesUp are maybe more confrontational than I would choose to be, but the changes I've seen here in terms of bike advocacy and infrastructure are definitely largely because of them. So here's to the "Wild wild West" of the East.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
spike61 said:
Ya Fastandfat, I agree that there are bad and good within the cycling scene here in NYC. Probably the same in the cop scene, and the pedestrian and tourist contingent.

When I first got to the city, I got some clients and worked as a bike messenger to learn the streets. As a middle-aged woman on a beater mountainbike I definitely didn't fit into the "culture" but it was a great view. After getting hit a couple times by parkingspotinsanity driven drivers, I lost my edge, and only got it back by watching the fixi'ed "old-timers" flow through mid-town, downtown, relaxed pedaling circles. Not to be too corny (I'm a martial artist too) they were like samurai in the middle of battle, entering cutting entering cutting. So I found my flow again, kept working.

There are posers, a-holes just like anywhere else. And if I had a firehose, I'd probably use it on the tourists wandering through streets and bikelanes without a clue to even look to see if I'm coming. Transalt, Critmass, and TimesUp are maybe more confrontational than I would choose to be, but the changes I've seen here in terms of bike advocacy and infrastructure are definitely largely because of them. So here's to the "Wild wild West" of the East.

Transportation Alt have a lot of dedicated people working for them and do things for lots of people not only cyclists. My beef with them is that they don't speak out when Critical Mess announces a ride on the Brooklyn Bridge at midnight in July ( not making this up) they ride behind tourists and knock drinks and cameras out of their hands(witnessed it myself) People riding 52x15's with no brakes in a crowd make all cyclists look stupid.Critical Mass is putting a bad face on cycling and cyclists all over the US in big cities. I believe that when people take action like jamming them into a trash can or broomstickinging the front wheel of a Critical member it is extreme but needed behavior.When I ride through Brooklyn or over the GW and some driver comes completely unglued on me I have to think he or she may have been exposed to some Critical Mass shananagans.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think the posers on fixies with no helmets and no brakes make cyclists look stupid and foolish.
I see them all the time where I live.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I also cringe when I hear of Critical Mass in Philly. This mentality of taking over the road, while blowing every stop light and stop sign on the route, just makes the already tense situation with cars and bikes even worse. On April 10th in Philly there is a ride along the same theme, except on this ride all traffic laws will be obeyed. These are the kind of rides that need to happen, to give us cyclist a better view in the public.

I'v seen some crazy Youtube footage of Mass rides around the country and mostly they just seem to be about how much they can annoy the general public, not about if they even try to do any good in the community.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Another East Coaster here...

IMO, the groups mentioned above do more harm than good to the 'cycling image'.

They command respect instead of earning it and that creates a negative (read: look like as_holes) perception of the 'cycling image'. Largely unmeasurable, guaranteed there tho...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, hipsters on fixies are annoying, and yeah, Critical Mass is a bunch of kids out provoking people and calling it a cause, but did you see the video of the cop taking the kid out? It was vicious and pointless. Whatever else happens from this case, one good thing came out of it: that guy clearly had no business being a police officer. One thing you don't want is a guy with a badge who likes to hurt people.

fatandfast said:
I believe that when people take action like jamming them into a trash can or broomstickinging the front wheel of a Critical member it is extreme but needed behavior.
that's just b*llsh*t
get a grip sunshine - purposefully injuring someone is never "needed behaviour" in an instance like this. regardless of who is doing what...

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
that's just b*llsh*t
get a grip sunshine - purposefully injuring someone is never "needed behaviour" in an instance like this. regardless of who is doing what...

Yup, that's what the dix driving think. That they're teaching you a "lesson."

Stay on the sidewalk!

I'm going out for a ride. I guess I have to block out the fact of the dix in the world and their "needed behaviour."

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
that's just b*llsh*t

That's your opinion. I wouldn't even glance back if I listened to a critical mass skull crack on the pavement.They constitute less than 1% of the riders of bicycles and in my opinion are responsible for 75% of anti-bike legislation and opinion. No other cycling group alerts the press and police that they intend to do something stupid and illegal and hope to cash in on somebodies misstep and create a confrontation .Riding through Times Sq at night through a bunch tourists with kids on vacation,running red lights is f-cking stupid. Yes the cop was wrong...only because he didn't night stick the guy afterward.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cop in Critical Mass cycle-slam case: I was ordered to "do what you have to do" to stop protesters

Ex-cop 'never intended to lie' in NYC cyclist case
(AP) – 1 day ago

NEW YORK — A former New York City police officer accused of knocking a bicycling activist off his bike and lying about it says he was just trying to blunt a collision as the cyclist leaned a shoulder toward him.

Patrick Pogan also told jurors Friday that he "never intended to lie at any point" in his report.

He had said in his report that cyclist Christopher Long steered into him and knocked him to the ground. A tourist's video of the July 2008 incident showed otherwise. The footage was posted on YouTube, drawing millions of views.

Pogan said Friday he was forced to the ground later in his encounter with Long. It happened during a pro-cycling demonstration in Times Square.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/04/23/2010-04-23_cop_in_critical_mass_cycleslam_case_i_was_ordered_to_stop_protesters_by_any_mean.html

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
We had a guy in Regents Park last week, he drove at the pedestrian, braked ,swerved, braked again and went over the handle bars, smack onto the road at low speed, the worst way to hit the tarmac. The pedestrian was crossing the Baker street pedestrian crossing, from the park, on a green light, to walk. He was and presumably still is an idiot. He wanted to play his scene and F%k everyone else.

If I have the green and a pedestrian is going to bring me down, I go straight into them, I've even taken one down with me to cushion the fall. He just walked off, like your average London zombie.

The guys on video doing the NY thing, lock 'em up. Cops as thugs, lock 'em up.
The idea that you can wilfully endanger others and calmy dismiss the danger as being part of the buzz, that is criminal.

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
D Avoid said:
I'm liking the ex bit!!

In London, he'd still have a job, error of judgement and all that.

Not in our London (Ont. Canada). We had a cop who gave an old guy a hard time and was going to write him a ticket for riding on the sidewalk and not having a bell on his bike. The old man looked like he was on a (small) fixed income, so could ill affort a (useless) ticket and was trying to tell that to the officer. She then stood there and gave the old guy a real dressing down for breaking the law, etc. The old man got so upset, he had a heart attack and died right there on the sidewalk. The cop got fired.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hoekstyn said:
Not in our London (Ont. Canada). We had a cop who gave an old guy a hard time and was going to write him a ticket for riding on the sidewalk and not having a bell on his bike. The old man looked like he was on a (small) fixed income, so could ill affort a (useless) ticket and was trying to tell that to the officer. She then stood there and gave the old guy a real dressing down for breaking the law, etc. The old man got so upset, he had a heart attack and died right there on the sidewalk. The cop got fired.

Horrible news that.

The cops in London attacked a news vendor who was making his way home during, I think , May day protests, they killed him and denied it, saying he was one of the dangerous protesters, the Youtube video proved otherwise. He had his hands in his pockets as the riot cop attacked him, he died from the blow he got from hitting the ground, every cop there , who saw what was done, should be sacked. When it happens, you need to open your mouth right away, the black arts of the Met Police then popped in to discredit this guy, who was just making a few quid. Nobody has been charged and he is dead because they killed him, then lied through their teeth. What a ****ty World we have to live in.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
That's your opinion. I wouldn't even glance back if I listened to a critical mass skull crack on the pavement.They constitute less than 1% of the riders of bicycles and in my opinion are responsible for 75% of anti-bike legislation and opinion. No other cycling group alerts the press and police that they intend to do something stupid and illegal and hope to cash in on somebodies misstep and create a confrontation .Riding through Times Sq at night through a bunch tourists with kids on vacation,running red lights is f-cking stupid. Yes the cop was wrong...only because he didn't night stick the guy afterward.

yor an idjiet.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
yor an idjiet.

Sheconded, is that what the fright wing looks like on here. I've seen truncheons being indiscriminately waved, the reality is that they love doing it, it was one those thugs who murdered the news vendor in London last year, May day I think it was.

TRENDING THREADS