• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nys/Pauwels Sprint...

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Yep have to agree schoolboy error. He was coming from behind and he had all the road and chose the barrier side. Pauwels is a bad losers especially against Nys, last year at Oostamalle was another fine example of his hand waving skills!
Nys was a popular winner we were stood on the dunes at the back of the course and when the Pauwels took the lead towards the finish the crowd went silent, but as soon as the commentator started 'here comes Nys' the crowd went berserk. As for Mario de Clerq stating the crowd judging the result by the podium applause age must be getting the better of hearing.

I think Pauwels form is starting to lose its edge, he did plenty of wheel sucking at Gieten the day after and still had to admit Nys was stronger in the sprint.

Still all good stuff for the crowds...

Lol at Oostmalle he punctured and accepted his loss. Bad loser? :D

In Asper-Gavere 2010, some argued the sprint was unfair. He not. Bad loser?

In Hamme-Zogge 2011, Mr Nys argued that Pauwels had to chase Stybar because his manager organized the race and the Pauwels simply said "That's a pity". Bad loser?

He was not coming from behind. He was already on the barrier side.

In cyclocross you can hardly gain anything from wheelsucking. If you're good you're in front, if not you're behind. He was behind. Yeah he was not in form.

I've seen the sprint again and I definitely claim that Pauwels was at the level of his back wheel from the very start of it. His claim is legit.

I fail to see why KP should deserve so much disrespect. I think he really behaved with dignity. Waving in the heat of the moment but at the interview he gave his opinion with as much calm as usual for him. The likes of Nys or Albert would've wept.

A wheelsucker? Sure, the French see him that way. I've seen all his televised wins since Overijse (but Kop'berg). He's not more of a wheelsucker than an attacker. Winning a cross through drafting and taking advantage of someone else's job? I've never seen that actually. This is not road racing.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
I've seen the sprint again and I definitely claim that Pauwels was at the level of his back wheel from the very start of it. His claim is legit.

I fail to see why KP should deserve so much disrespect. I think he really behaved with dignity. Waving in the heat of the moment but at the interview he gave his opinion with as much calm as usual for him. The likes of Nys or Albert would've wept.

A wheelsucker? Sure, the French see him that way. I've seen all his televised wins since Overijse (but Kop'berg). He's not more of a wheelsucker than an attacker. Winning a cross through drafting and taking advantage of someone else's job? I've never seen that actually. This is not road racing.

Yeah, Albert would weep because he lost a sprint :rolleyes:

Echoes said:
He was not coming from behind. He was already on the barrier side.

Pauwels doesn't get to choose the line if he's not in front. Want to choose it? Be in front. Nys chose that line every lap pretty much. Pauwels knew where Nys was going and was whining because he didn't get to have it and be sheltered from the wind. Nys never looked back. He chose his line and went for it. Pauwels had the whole other side.

Pauwels is a great crosser, but he sucked a lot of wheels this past weekend. Nys was the deserved winner both days.

You're inventing your own rule. You can't choose a line if your opponent is at your side. Pauwels was at his side.

KP did not suck wheels. In Koksijde, he attacked or chased. In Gieten he missed his start (bad form) and chased on his own. He was not on top and admitted it. Yeah he did not deserve to win that one because he wasn't at his best.

Echoes said:
You're inventing your own rule. You can't choose a line if your opponent is at your side. Pauwels was at his side.

KP did not suck wheels. In Koksijde, he attacked or chased. In Gieten he missed his start (bad form) and chased on his own. He was not on top and admitted it. Yeah he did not deserve to win that one because he wasn't at his best.

Dude I watched both races twice. I'm not sure what you were watching, but if Nys and Stybar were riding Zipps, Pauwels would have sucked the dimples off their rims.

Pauwels wanted to be protected from the crosswind. Nys said no. Nys would have placed himself at a disadvantage by letting Pauwels in on the right.

Inventing your own rules + rewriting the facts.

Pauwels wanted to outsprint him, hence was on his side. He couldn't go above and on the other side were the barriers. He was faster than Nys, hence Nys said no. It's easy to win sprints that way.

And yeah, KP missed his start in Gieten and had to chase alone + took the lead for quite a while. There ain't no crosser that I can call wheelsucker. It belongs to road racing.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
Inventing your own rules + rewriting the facts.

Pauwels wanted to outsprint him, hence was on his side. He couldn't go above and on the other side were the barriers. He was faster than Nys, hence Nys said no. It's easy to win sprints that way.

And yeah, KP missed his start in Gieten and had to chase alone + took the lead for quite a while. There ain't no crosser that I can call wheelsucker. It belongs to road racing.

Kevin almost never took initiative before this season.

TRENDING THREADS