• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oakley glasses Advice

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Buying myself a new pair next week, usually wear giro's but going to spoil myself! whats model range should I be buying?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I finally splurged on some Oakley Radar Paths after years of buying cheaper sunglasses. I cannot emphasize how great of a purchase these were - they don't slide off when your head is down, are lightweight (forget you have them on after a while), and are stylish. Also, the lens quality is top notch.

My brother has the Jawbones, and those are equally great. However, they had more of that goggle feel which I did not like so I opted for the Radars instead.

In conclusion - Oakleys are totally worth it!

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Rudy's.......

Yup. You can get Rydons in a 5 lens kit for $195 off the website. Rudy's warranty service is unbeatable. They do *not* expect you to throw out your investment. I've gotten replacement frames for stuff that should have been out of warranty twice now.

If you're a little guy . . .

scottcr1 said:
Hi Guys,

Buying myself a new pair next week, usually wear giro's but going to spoil myself! whats model range should I be buying?

Thanks

I'm a big guy with a big head. The Jawbone was too small for me. My best advice is try on for fit and also try to get one that lets you have different lenses for different conditions. Clear or yellow lenses can be great when the wind is whipping the rain.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Rudy's.......

Buy 'em because it's always the right thing to do. Or buy some other glasses. Phoakleys from the guy along the highway are good too and you won't weep when you lose/break $5 worth of Chinese sweat labor that actually cost you $5 instead of $150.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
all of the humanistic socioeconomic hogwash stated above aside; I have both and use the oakleys most because I don 't have to move my head to see beyond a frame

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
scottcr1 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

I am going to join a few others and suggest something other than Oakleys. I have had several pairs of Oakleys and have been unimpressed with the quality. I sweat profusely so the rubber bits quickly become distended. Also, it is hard to avoid scratching the lenses and sweat tends to eat away the finish within a season. I could go on.

A few years ago I bought a pair of OGKs because I liked the style and they were cheap. They came with three lenses and a case for the equivalent of about 30 USD. They still look like new and I wear them more than any other sunglasses.

I have the green ones.
335132faa2.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:

Interesting. How well do the Adaptalite© lenses work? Does the tinting wear out over time? I seem to remember that early versions of adjustable lenses eventually lost their ability to change tint.

Has anybody every used Transitions© lenses? I need new lenses for my glasses and I was thinking about these, but I don't know anybody with any experience with them.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
Interesting. How well do the Adaptalite© lenses work? Does the tinting wear out over time? I seem to remember that early versions of adjustable lenses eventually lost their ability to change tint.

Has anybody every used Transitions© lenses? I need new lenses for my glasses and I was thinking about these, but I don't know anybody with any experience with them.

I like my transitions. They don't get super dark but they adjust quickly and they're nice when it gets late.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In 1988 I tried Rudy and the lenses were so bad they made me dizzy. I expect they have improved since then but I never tries since I had some factory pilots that had great lenses. I switched to M frames with heater lenses and I still use them for low light and night riding since they provide such great eye protection. The cover a big area and offer from the side protection too. These make pretty good safety glasses for coverage.
My more recent Oakley is a radar and I am very pleased. Less prone to fogging and pretty good protection. there are 2 if not 3 lens shapes to give you the coverage you need and same great lenses.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have tried most of the major brands at one time or another. They all seem to make a good product any more. I find going to a well equiped LBS with a lot of selection the key. Not all brand or models will fit you right. Try on several and see what you think.

I am personally using Oakley flak jackets right now. They fit me pretty well and have a wide selection of lens.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
To everybody who has Oakleys or wants to buy them, don't you find the price to be a scandal? Look, I am not averse to spending money for a high quality product. I have a watch that cost more than 10,000 USD. It's just a watch. Its appeal is its simplicity, beauty, craftsmanship, and rarity---not everyone has one. And it will never go out of style. I can wear it with a suit, a tux or with jeans.

Oakleys are not bad, but they are everywhere. They are expensive and of dubious style outside of the peloton. There are better quality, more unique products at half to one-tenth the price.

Just sayin':cool:

gregod said:
To everybody who has Oakleys or wants to buy them, don't you find the price to be a scandal? ...

Oakleys are not bad, but they are everywhere. They are expensive and of dubious style outside of the peloton. There are better quality, more unique products at half to one-tenth the price.

Of course sunglasses are a rip off. The frames cost a few cents to make. The lenses do not cost much more. That is the reason why everyone and their dog makes sunglasses.

What put me off Oakley is that they have a history of using incredibly crappy plastic for the frames. They lost their cool when rednecks started putting Oakley stickers on the back window of their jacked up trucks.

The smartest strategy would probably be to buy five pairs of $40 glasses instead of one pair of $200 glasses. Buy them in different colors so you can, in true euro style, match your sunglasses to the rest of your kit.

Brodeal, I think you are correct! There are some real cheapies out there that you don't want to buy, but many low-priced options now...
The last few years I have noticed some good ones that are decent and still are'nt compromising your eyes.

Check out Tifosi, Ryders, some Bolle's still a good deal and others...Native, Suncloud...
Most look really similar to uber-$$$$ models.
cheers

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Agree, Oakleys are rip off.
If you want Oakley ask some friend in US Army to buy, or order it through APO, then you will see real prices up to 50-60% down of regular.
I am wearing SH+ for 30euros, so far so good.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I waited for a promotion and got my Radar's at a 50% discount. Amazing what retailers will do to prices in the middle of a north European January :D

TRENDING THREADS