• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oakley glasses Advice

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
oakley Radar, are very nice.
little pricey..but stylish, comfortable..and great lens.Lot of the pro wear them..and they do for 4 to 6hrs a day, must be a reason? no? beside sponsorship.
They have been around for a long time..I am assuming they know what they are doing

I have some cheaper..ryders, smith..but they don't compare.
my 2 cents.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
gregod said:
To everybody who has Oakleys or wants to buy them, don't you find the price to be a scandal? Look, I am not averse to spending money for a high quality product. I have a watch that cost more than 10,000 USD. It's just a watch. Its appeal is its simplicity, beauty, craftsmanship, and rarity---not everyone has one. And it will never go out of style. I can wear it with a suit, a tux or with jeans.

Oakleys are not bad, but they are everywhere. They are expensive and of dubious style outside of the peloton. There are better quality, more unique products at half to one-tenth the price.

Just sayin':cool:

lefrancais said:
oakley Radar, are very nice.
little pricey..but stylish, comfortable..and great lens.Lot of the pro wear them..and they do for 4 to 6hrs a day, must be a reason? no? beside sponsorship.
They have been around for a long time..I am assuming they know what they are doing

I have some cheaper..ryders, smith..but they don't compare.
my 2 cents.
Agreed. Radars are my pick, and I have a drawer full of different brands of sunglasses. Since I wear contacts I like the Range lens. But there are at least three other sizes to fit you comfort zone. Whether the Jawbone is cool or not, I don't like it for riding because it interferes with my peripheral vision, because of the frame. All other opinions aside, you asked about Oakleys, I've given my opinion. And my final thought is, cost aside, they are a top quality product.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
Interesting. How well do the Adaptalite© lenses work? Does the tinting wear out over time? I seem to remember that early versions of adjustable lenses eventually lost their ability to change tint.

Has anybody every used Transitions© lenses? I need new lenses for my glasses and I was thinking about these, but I don't know anybody with any experience with them.

I haven't noticed it not working. I like the adaptalite lenses because I can wear them later into the evening (for eye protection). I also find the frames very comfortable.

I did have some issues with the nose piece coming loose, but I used some glue to re-secure it.

I'm sure Oakley makes some nice gear. I just find the pricing outrageous. And damn if it doesn't suck when you lose a pair.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I haven't noticed it not working. I like the adaptalite lenses because I can wear them later into the evening (for eye protection). I also find the frames very comfortable.

I did have some issues with the nose piece coming loose, but I used some glue to re-secure it.

I'm sure Oakley makes some nice gear. I just find the pricing outrageous. And damn if it doesn't suck when you lose a pair.
I've got an older pair of Specialized Tarzos with the adaptalite lenses that I really like when I'm going to be out late in the afternoon too! they're one of my favorite glasses when I want to give my Oakleys a break. I also like the Uvex Crow which comes with three lenses for differing light conditions, and they're a bit cheaper.:cool:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Oakleys

Okay, I currently wear the Oakley Split Jacket. I have a medium sized face and the fit nicely. Basically they are the smaller version of the Jaw Bones. They come with an extra set of lenses too. Ive had them for about 7 months and love them. Prior to that, I wore some old school M frames...they are still my backup frames.

Boeing said:
all of the humanistic socioeconomic hogwash stated above aside; I have both and use the oakleys most because I don 't have to move my head to see beyond a frame

they are a quality product made right here in OC. i have friends that work there, and they love the place.i started with the Factory Pilot way back when.
i like the Half Jacket XJ, myself. M frame are great for windy conditions.
i also like Bolle products.
Oakley's optics are very good,very good indeed. and the warranty service if needed, is good.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I still have my Factory pilots from back in 89
Truly the most functional glasses ever

These days I need optical glasses, and cant wear contacts so choices are limited
Clip ins are crap (although I use them in my yellow glasses) so getting a ground main lens is the way to go, which means you are forever looking out for the right product, and often non-cycling, that actually covers the entire field of vission

Notso Swift said:
I still have my Factory pilots from back in 89
Truly the most functional glasses ever

These days I need optical glasses, and cant wear contacts so choices are limited
Clip ins are crap (although I use them in my yellow glasses) so getting a ground main lens is the way to go, which means you are forever looking out for the right product, and often non-cycling, that actually covers the entire field of vission

Oakley can do prescription lenses

http://www.oakley.com/store/prescription

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Interesting that we don't get Radar or Flak jacket in script and the others I have tried either block vision or let light in, which isn't the idea

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Try Maui Jim's

They aren't specifically for riding but I wear Maui Jim's. I llove them. The polarization is so clear it is unreal. I wear prescription. You want to talk pricey. I broke my first pair after a year and about ten months. They replaced them with a new pair for the cost of shipping, no questions asked. Check out the warranties.

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Oakley.;) You won't look back!! Yes they are more money but well worth it. If you can, get the polarized lens. I like the Jawbone but as mentioned above they are a bit goggle like, so Radar is the way to go.

I love my Jawbones. I find the full frame doesn't interfere with peripheral vision although it does take a few rides to get used to. I also personally like the full frame for wearing them off the bike. Yeah they were a little expensive, but I considered it money well spent.

I used to have Specialized Helix, and while the Adapalite was nice I felt that sweat stuck to the lenses like glue affecting vision after about an hour. The nose piece also came off mine, but that was after about 3.5 years so I can't complain much.

TRENDING THREADS