• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oakley Radar

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a pair of Oakley Radars, but am confused about the different lens shapes.

Can any of you provide any insight into what lens shape I should get? What shape is "best" for cycling?

- Path
- Pitch
- Range
- Path XL

Thanks in advance!

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have these sunglasses. This is the deal. The "Range" lens is for big faces, and offers lots of coverage. I wear contact lenses, so I especially like those lenses if it's windy out, in fact I've worn them while skiing and they give great coverage. More recently they came out with a "Blade" lens, they are huge- a shield, in fact. I don't think that is necessary unless you have some kind of special needs.
The "Pitch" lens is next in size and coverage, and has a convex lens shape at the bottom, which gives the more ample coverage. I like that lens also when I'm planning fast riding/ skiing. Lastly, and slimmest profile is the "Path" lenses. This is the lens you see more of in the peloton. Most of those guys have smaller faces. It has a concave shape at the bottom that gives it the slimmer profile. I use that lens too, but not as much due to my needs for coverage due to my contacts (too much air on my eyes = dried up contacts).
I obviously don't have any use for the "vented" lenses in any of the shapes, and I've never really understood the need for ventilation into your eyes. But hey, I guess somebody has those needs.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I love my Oakleys, especially my Radars, Good Luck:cool:

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
nowhereman said:
I have these sunglasses. This is the deal. The "Range" lens is for big faces, and offers lots of coverage. I wear contact lenses, so I especially like those lenses if it's windy out, in fact I've worn them while skiing and they give great coverage. More recently they came out with a "Blade" lens, they are huge- a shield, in fact. I don't think that is necessary unless you have some kind of special needs.
The "Pitch" lens is next in size and coverage, and has a convex lens shape at the bottom, which gives the more ample coverage. I like that lens also when I'm planning fast riding/ skiing. Lastly, and slimmest profile is the "Path" lenses. This is the lens you see more of in the peloton. Most of those guys have smaller faces. It has a concave shape at the bottom that gives it the slimmer profile. I use that lens too, but not as much due to my needs for coverage due to my contacts (too much air on my eyes = dried up contacts).
I obviously don't have any use for the "vented" lenses in any of the shapes, and I've never really understood the need for ventilation into your eyes. But hey, I guess somebody has those needs.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I love my Oakleys, especially my Radars, Good Luck:cool:

hey thanks for the thoughtful write up!

I just did a bit more research, and it does look like the "Path" is geared towards cycling. However, I just found out that the "Path XL" has 7mm more up top to give you more coverage when you're down in the drops.

Anybody have any experience with that?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am all about oakley

the heater and now the radar

on my nut they fit well and are optically correct. meaning I don't have to move my head to look around a frame

May 24, 2010
Visit site
ViaPagliano said:
hey thanks for the thoughtful write up!

I just did a bit more research, and it does look like the "Path" is geared towards cycling. However, I just found out that the "Path XL" has 7mm more up top to give you more coverage when you're down in the drops.

Anybody have any experience with that?

Hi again, just one more note. As far as I know there is no "Path XL". It is the (XL)Blade, I mentioned previously. If you are looking for(IMO) an overwhelmingly big lens then this might be good. Check out the Oakley site for more info.