• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Obama Victory=Indictments??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Lance threatened to use the multimillion person LiveStrong email list to criticize the entire Democratic party if Obama wouldn't join McCain at a LiveStrong event during the last election cycle. Obama went to Europe instead. I think there are postings in the Clinic showing Betsy A was with Kerry and he read LA's email out loud when he received it.

Jump forward 4 years - Clinton (Bill) reported to have gotten the message to Birotte that it was unwise to prosecute a national hero. Clinton, for those not present in the USA lately, was regularly put into the field to sell Obama this election cycle.

Clinton (Bill) has regularly crossed LA's path over the years as both are essentially personal brands driven by the need for media coverage to stay afloat. Clinton's 2011 speaking fees totaled around 13 million USD - and he has his own foundation too. Clinton Global Initiative and all that. How novel - a 2nd career straddling a "cause" foundation and a "voice" business.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
reginagold said:
Lance threatened to use the multimillion person LiveStrong email list to criticize the entire Democratic party if Obama wouldn't join McCain at a LiveStrong event during the last election cycle. Obama went to Europe instead. I think there are postings in the Clinic showing Betsy A was with Kerry and he read LA's email out loud when he received it.

Jump forward 4 years - Clinton (Bill) reported to have gotten the message to Birotte that it was unwise to prosecute a national hero. Clinton, for those not present in the USA lately, was regularly put into the field to sell Obama this election cycle.

Clinton (Bill) has regularly crossed LA's path over the years as both are essentially personal brands driven by the need for media coverage to stay afloat. Clinton's 2011 Speaking fees totalled around 13 million USD - and he has his own foundation too. Imagine that. A career straddling a "cause" foundation and a "voice" business. Wonder if he used the same lawyers to set it up.

Fabiani is a partner of Chris Lehane and they were the firm who navigated PR for President Clinton during the Lewinsky/impeachment fiasco. Lanny Breuer, who is now at the DOJ was also involed with the Clinton mess...

Tangled web for sure.

I have my doubts about the DOJ joining the qui tam suit. The smart way to do that would have been to keep the criminal investigation open and use that as a cudgel to force a civil settlement. Without the pressure of possible criminal indictments, Armstrong and co. have much less incentive to settle.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I'd expect news, one way or the other, on the qui tam.

Anybody thinking criminal indictments now, based on Postal fraud, is ignoring the SOL. Maybe there is some good recent stuff, like illegal fund transfers, but ancient doping and ancient fraud indictments just are not happening.

RICO. Criminal enterprise actively functioning right up to the present. No s of l problems. Pre litigation attachments of assets derived as proceeds of the criminal enterprise. Omerta has its price.
Civil RICO is also possible.

Cimacoppi49 said:
RICO. Criminal enterprise actively functioning right up to the present. No s of l problems. Pre litigation attachments of assets derived as proceeds of the criminal enterprise. Omerta has its price.
Civil RICO is also possible.

Same argument you made when the investigation was ongoing. Hope it works better for you this time around.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Same argument you made when the investigation was ongoing. Hope it works better for you this time around.

Your usual pessimistic defeatist comments. And the personalization thereof (ie "works better for you"). Very easy to "predict" a status quo. Harder to predict a future possibility. Even harder to do something active about it.

Have a go at something positive. Or at least stop trying to generate momentum on defeatism. Or just stay away from posting all together.

Tinman said:
Your usual pessimistic defeatist comments. And the personalization thereof (ie "works better for you"). Very easy to "predict" a status quo. Harder to predict a future possibility. Even harder to do something active about it.

Have a go at something positive. Or at least stop trying to generate momentum on defeatism. Or just stay away from posting all together.

If you want to read a lot of nonsense how Armstrong is going to get charged, and how Armstrong is going to go to prison, there's a one million view thread that's made just for you.

When somebody actually articulates a chargeable case, and the facts that would make up that chargeable case, then there's something worth discussing.

"Momentum on Defeatism?" That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read here.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
If you want to read a lot of nonsense how Armstrong is going to get charged, and how Armstrong is going to go to prison, there's a one million view thread that's made just for you.

When somebody actually articulates a chargeable case, and the facts that would make up that chargeable case, then there's something worth discussing.

"Momentum on Defeatism?" That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read here.

"That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read here"

Nothing can top the combination that Armstrong is not a target of the Fed investigation/Grand Jury and he could have been offered immunity from prosecution by the same Feds.

That is real phanboy logic and hope.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:

Not for me, plenty of others interested in this. I have long moved on from LA, in fact for me it was never about LA per se but about the sport of cycling and its administration. But then, what would you understand about my motivations :D

MarkvW said:

If you are a Lance fanboy yes. If you are interested in the case against Lance you would be discussing how such a case may be articulated. Sorry for once again outing you.

MarkvW said:
Most stupid indeed. Try work that one out.

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Fabiani is a partner of Chris Lehane and they were the firm who navigated PR for President Clinton during the Lewinsky/impeachment fiasco. Lanny Breuer, who is now at the DOJ was also involed with the Clinton mess...

Tangled web for sure.

LA's lawyer Robert Luskin also helped President Clinton navigate the media hazards during the Lewinsky fiasco.

Luskin has particular experience with money laundering cases and RICO.

TRENDING THREADS