• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Obree is Awesome

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Here is a guy who is just an obsessed cyclist. He rides. Everywhere. His engineering brain won't shut off. A completely amateur World Record. A complete disdain for the UCI foolishness, way before it was trendy. And now, at an age when most ex-champs would be eating and drinking for free, he's got another record as a goal.

Someone should sponsor this guy. He doesn't need $1billion, but he'd be faster if he didn't have to worry about where he's going to sleep in the states...

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I would highly recommend his book "Flying Scotsman" as well as the movie of the same name. His story of his battle against depression is just as good as his cycling stories. A true inspiration in both cases.

Also the movies portrayal of Hein Verbruggin is hilarious!! I remember watching it (having never heard of the guy) thinking that there was no way this guy could be such an arrogant idiot. Well apparently...

williamp78 said:
I would highly recommend his book "Flying Scotsman" as well as the movie of the same name. His story of his battle against depression is just as good as his cycling stories. A true inspiration in both cases.

Couldn't agree more. Good luck in your latest project Graeme if you are reading and have a happy life mate:)

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
His new bike "Beastie" is pretty wild.

Good guy to remember during these days of cheating and big money in professional cycling. The guy loves building and riding bikes. Period.

Obree is a fascinating man, half athlete half mad scientist. He really embodies the dance between technology and athleticism that's always there in cycling. Sometimes it is about the bike, at least partly. Many of us are interested in the ways that technology can make us faster, Obree more than most and he has the lungs and legs to drive his machines. If he weren't such a singular character, I'd say that cycling needs more Graeme Obrees.

TRENDING THREADS