Teams & Riders Offical Wout Van Aert isn't a new Zdenek Stybar

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The article said he underwent an operation. I don't know how severe this is, but I wouldn't expect it to influence him much.
The article said he underwent an operation. I don't know how severe this is, but I wouldn't expect it to influence him much.
An appendectomy is one of the most common surgery procedures. He should be back on the bike after a few days and back to his strongest self in a week or two.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
An appendectomy is one of the most common surgery procedures. He should be back on the bike after a few days and back to his strongest self in a week or two.
An appendectomy is common and not problematic for a non-athlete. But two weeks rest is needed. Then, one can reboot carefully. A top riser also can start cycling after two weeks, but not yet really train. In fact, Van Aert is going to miss almost three weeks of training. Fortunately for him, this happens during a training period, and not during a competition period. But Van Aert will somehow have to make up for those three weeks. He will be able to train properly, at the end of May, being at a much lower level then early May. But the Dauphiné is starting on may 30th. It would be irresponsible to let him start there. The best thing to do is start altitude training, not as planned from 11 to 19 th of june, but starting a week earlier. And hoping he will be ready for the Tour without competition. Exc the Belgian championship on june 20 th.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Impossible to be in an good shape at the start of the Tour. No stage wins and and not cycling in the lead for Roglic, for miles, in a hard climb. The only thing Van Aert can do, is regain a good shape by participating in the Tour. And be at a top level for the Olympics.

I still hope he goes for the points jersey in Le Tour
I hope not.

I think any attempt to win anything other than the yellow jersey this summer would be a waste of energy & miscalculation for Jumbo, that includes Van Aert & whatever personal ambition he might have. This year (more than ever) should be about bringing Roglic to Paris in yellow, end of story.

Reactions: jmdirt
Court decides: Wout van Aert must pay €662.000 to Nick Nuyens after he broke his contract with his then team in 2018 to switch to Jumbo-Visma. The Labor Court in Antwerp decided on this on Wednesday. (source Sporza)

Hope not. He'll be wasting enough energy keeping Roglic out of the wind. I'd like to see him in decent form for the Olympics and not be completely knackered. Better to focus on a few stages for stagewin, than trying to go for points every day.
I think he'll go for green in 2022. If MvdP decides to do the same thing, that could literally be enough to make it the greatest Tour of all time. Imagine their battle for green giving color and drama to every single stage - would be far more compelling than the usually uneventful and boring GC battle or breakaway faux-drama

I think he'll go for green in 2022. If MvdP decides to do the same thing, that could literally be enough to make it the greatest Tour of all time. Imagine their battle for green giving color and drama to every single stage - would be far more compelling than the usually uneventful and boring GC battle or breakaway faux-drama
Or maybe he'll go for yellow in 2022. :) Who knows.

Court decides: Wout van Aert must pay €662.000 to Nick Nuyens after he broke his contract with his then team in 2018 to switch to Jumbo-Visma. The Labor Court in Antwerp decided on this on Wednesday. (source Sporza)
I wondered what ever happened with this case...now I know. That's a pretty big chunk of change, about $800,000 USA.

Or maybe he'll go for yellow in 2022. :) Who knows.
His original plan was to grab yellow after the stage 5 TT this year. Might still be a feasible scenario despite his medical setback. If he can gain some time on the muritos on stage 1 and 2 vs the other time trialists, he won't even have to beat Dennis or Ganna on day 5.

I wondered what ever happened with this case...now I know. That's a pretty big chunk of change, about $800,000 USA.
A big chunk that Lefevere wishes he had paid a few years back when he had the chance.

ASK THE COMMUNITY