• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official 2011 Cricket World Cup Thread

Boeing said:
Pick 'em

You heard it here first: Australia over India

I have to disagree......besides Brett Lee being in really good form, Aus quick bowlers aren't that good IMO. Johnson is erratic one game, brilliant the next, Bollinger still looks underdone IMO and Tait is much like johnson at the moment but change the word 'game' to 'ball' in my description of johnson to get one of Tait.

Also the world cup is in the subcontinent, a place where spinners come into their own and as i said above Aus have come loaded with quicks and their frontline spinner is their third choice behind Hauritz who was infact cleared to play by the medical staff and also behind Xavier Doherty. The other spinners Aus are planning to use are Dave Hussey and Steve Smith. Both part-timers at best. Also the fact that Aus are missing some of their best players (or they are playing with injury. ie. M.Hussey, N.Hauritz are out and R. Ponting and S. Smith playing with injury.

I still think they will give it a good shake, semi-final or something like that but will probably end up short losing to someone with a good spin attack ie. India, Sri Lanka or another big team like South Africa, or Pakistan. (WTF i cant eve use the word pakistan without it being censored)

Just my opinion, feel free to shred it to bits.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Australia don't have a chance. tbh, england very much under done and tired in the ODI's and probably should of won 3 games but were very tired. Australia in the practise matches have proved that they aren't up their with India, Sri lanka or South Africa. I hope we get knocked out first round. That will hopefully teach the selectors. It is shocking that Hodge doesn't get a go in the ODI squad.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am not an expert.

But I pay attention because it is part of family culture on the Brit side and we have family and friends in OZ. I have work mates from India as well.

I find it quite difficult to explain the game I think I understand and equally difficult to understand my Indian friends explanation compared to the Brits. I remember watching my first match on Tele in GB with family more than 20 years ago. The camera panned the field to see guys dressed in white sitting drinking tea from a full china set while waiting to bat.....I was told by grandpa that we cheer for the country drinking Tetleys....

I guess the game has evolved and with 50 overs there is less time for tea and biscuits

Can someone please explain how a match can end in a Draw when one team has more wickets? :confused:

May 2, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Australia don't have a chance. tbh, england very much under done and tired in the ODI's and probably should of won 3 games but were very tired. Australia in the practise matches have proved that they aren't up their with India, Sri lanka or South Africa. I hope we get knocked out first round. That will hopefully teach the selectors. It is shocking that Hodge doesn't get a go in the ODI squad.

Actually we (Australia) have a very good chance, particularly if we send Hussey over. Don't read too much into the practice match form. Remember, the group stages take forever, and we only need to beat either Canada or Kenya to get through. There is still plenty of time for players to find their form.

What is it with Victorian's and their love affair for Brad Hodge? Granted he's a good batter, but hes 36 years old now and never reached any great heights as an ODI player.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thrawn said:
Actually we (Australia) have a very good chance, particularly if we send Hussey over. Don't read too much into the practice match form. Remember, the group stages take forever, and we only need to beat either Canada or Kenya to get through. There is still plenty of time for players to find their form.

What is it with Victorian's and their love affair for Brad Hodge? Granted he's a good batter, but hes 36 years old now and never reached any great heights as an ODI player.

He was averaging 88 in ODI cricket leading into the WC selection if my memory is correct. Yet they select other players some older who are in shocking form.

I wish Ponting would just get lost. I am kinda sick of him.

Btw, the WC is a joke!

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Can someone please explain how a match can end in a Draw when one team has more wickets? :confused:

Basically in a Test match (two innings for each team allowed over 5 days game) a draw is attained when there is no winner and loser at the end of the 5th day. In other words, if one team is not all out (no wickets left) in two innings at the end of the last over on the last day.

For a full description see http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-21-the-result,47,AR.html

May 2, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
He was averaging 88 in ODI cricket leading into the WC selection if my memory is correct. Yet they select other players some older who are in shocking form.

I wish Ponting would just get lost. I am kinda sick of him.

Btw, the WC is a joke!

One day domestic cricket, not ODI's. As I previously stated, his career in ODI's is pretty ordinary. His 3 50s were against NZ, and his lone century was against the cricketing powerhouse of the Netherlands. Against other opposition his scores in ODI's are:

From these scores in India he averaged 9.83 at a strike rate of 54.62.

I agree that Ponting needs to go. Although I'm not a big fan of Clarke it is quite clear he is a tactically superior captain and actually had the team playing well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thrawn said:
One day domestic cricket, not ODI's. As I previously stated, his career in ODI's is pretty ordinary. His 3 50s were against NZ, and his lone century was against the cricketing powerhouse of the Netherlands. Against other opposition his scores in ODI's are:

From these scores in India he averaged 9.83 at a strike rate of 54.62.

I agree that Ponting needs to go. Although I'm not a big fan of Clarke it is quite clear he is a tactically superior captain and actually had the team playing well.

Erm by those avearges and score then quite a few people in the team should be dropped. I think those scores mis-represent hodge's quality as a batsman. NZ was a quality cricket side many years ago so don't knock those scores. Even though he was dropped after that I think his form in the domestic cricket which is a strong competition warrants another chance but obviously he has ****ed off the selectors so he won't get another chance at it.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I like the South Africa team to win, they havnt fired yet but they have good players - Morkel and Steyn the best 2 pace bowlers in the comp.

England have been useless but scraped through somehow, with the usual selection blunders and tired and injured players dropping out but hanging in there somehow.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ponting is seriously in denial.

"IT'S a bit too early to say it's the end of an era."

We all know it is Ricky. Time to admit that Australian cricket is not what it was.

"It was a pretty good game tonight. I didn't think we were far away from winning a game against a very good Indian team on their home soil.

"I thought we were very competitive tonight. We've lost our last two games in the World Cup, I'm disappointed with that. I thought we were a better team than we probably showed in the last few games, but I think it's a bit too early to say it's the end of an era."

Gee, haven't we heard that many times before from Ponting:rolleyes:. India got the target with 14 balls despair. When you get 274 on a ground which is proven hard to chase on and you get the target with 14 balls then you have been beaten badly. We got beat in the ashes. Ponting denied we aren't that bad. Then people jumped back on the band wagon when we beat the "Party Poms" in one day cricket who nearly got beaten by the DUTCH in the world cup!:eek:

And now because Ponting has made one good innings in many many bad ones and that puts a bandaid on his captaincy and career as a australian cricketer. He won't retire, like a few others, because of the money they are paid which is way higher then they deserve.

Ponting is a stubborn old fool who needs to go.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
I like the South Africa team to win, they havnt fired yet but they have good players - Morkel and Steyn the best 2 pace bowlers in the comp.

Well my prediction went toes up.

India v ****stan will be good in the semi's Depends if ****stan turn up or decide to throw the game. I hope India win the tournament as my team England are phucking useless..

Oh dear the censor system has kicked in. :rolleyes:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
A joke that P-akistan is in the filter. I know the first four letter's is a racial insult (or failing that, get a punch to the face) in the UK, but how does the whole country get censored out.

I'm going to say India v Sri Lanka in the final.

I dont care much for cricket (whats that about watching paint dry;)) but i do love india. 1 of 5 countries i a while back developed a particular respect for and interest in.

The worlds biggest democracy, multi religious, elected a minority into office and a billion innocent people who live in hardship and tend to be ignored.

Also with their love for cricket, not football, and their size, they make a mockery of the idea, popular here in europe that football is the only sport that actually means anything.

With Bollywood, Cricket premier league, and their annoying little bangle music they have developed, uniquely among such countries, a small resistance to Western Culture, (even though Pepsi sponsored this event) and I strongly support this.

Im glad they have something to cheer about. I hope it means something to the billion and i hope they continue to prosper.

Now we wait for an Indian cyclist to win a GrandTour one day.

One day:)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont care much for cricket (whats that about watching paint dry;)) but i do love india. 1 of 5 countries i a while back developed a particular respect for and interest in.

The worlds biggest democracy, multi religious, elected a minority into office and a billion innocent people who live in hardship and tend to be ignored.

Also with their love for cricket, not football, and their size, they make a mockery of the idea, popular here in europe that football is the only sport that actually means anything.

With Bollywood, Cricket premier league, and their annoying little bangle music they have developed, uniquely among such countries, a small resistance to Western Culture, (even though Pepsi sponsored this event) and I strongly support this.

Im glad they have something to cheer about. I hope it means something to the billion and i hope they continue to prosper.

Now we wait for an Indian cyclist to win a GrandTour one day.

One day:)

bollywood chicks are soooo hot!

TRENDING THREADS