• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 136 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why go to Oprah for this? Is he bankrupt already? This changes nothing. This doesn't make him better. Apologize to every single fan of cycling, every rider that you have defamed or sued or threatened. Give your winnings back. Donate personally to cancer research and other charities. Then, go away and stay away.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You might need more popcorn - from the NYTs.

Another excellent NYT article. Haven't had time to read all the threads so apologies if this is old news to some of you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/s...ound-together.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&src=recg

Given the sensitivity of writing anything negative about a cancer charity (it was even a taboo topic here at the clinic not too long ago!), this article details the background reasons for the unexpected turn of events we're now witnessing. This article is as good as a death sentence for all things Livestrong. It's difficult to see the charity or the brand to survive.

Top stories in the online edition of the largest newspaper i Norway this morning.

ubbthreads.php

BullsFan22 said:
Why go to Oprah for this? Is he bankrupt already? This changes nothing. This doesn't make him better. Apologize to every single fan of cycling, every rider that you have defamed or sued or threatened. Give your winnings back. Donate personally to cancer research and other charities. Then, go away and stay away.

-Because he wanted the last word in the court of public opinion.
-Not bankrupt yet. Though, I see it coming. That's how he dodges the payouts.
-His apology was calculated anyway. It's not about other people. It's about him. Jail time is appropriate, but may have dodged that outcome with this strategy.

Oprah on CBS

I just watched her live. Key points:

She did her homework said it was like cramming for a college exam. Read the RD, 7DS, LA Confidential, watched 60Min show with Tyler and Travis etc.
She had 112 questions prepared, ended up covering 100 of those.
LA was very responsive; he was prepared to reveal all.
LA was 'forthcoming', 'Riveting', 'Mesmerizing'
She will let people make their own judgements on his demeanor
She believes people will be 'satisfied' that he has answered what people want to know.

The interview will be shown in 2 segments of 90 min each as it was to much to cut into one and all of it was important.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:

She did her homework said it was like cramming for a college exam. Read the RD, 7DS, LA Confidential, watched 60Min show with Tyler and Travis etc.
She believes people will be 'satisfied' that he has answered what people want to know.

The interview will be shown in 2 segments of 90 min each as it was to much to cut into one and all of it was important.

I am sure my description will differ in content from her.

ChewbaccaD said:
I am sure my description will differ in content from her.

I'm sure mine will also depending on whether he gave her load of crap answers. She did say she was prepared depending on his answers to refer to RD page 76, etc. but didn't need to.

Hoping the mesmerizing part didn't distract her from the Relevance!

We shall see shortly.....personally I do not believe he accepted personal responsibility for anything!! After all he is Lance :(:(

Carols said:

Here's video of Oprah on the show, starting at the 1:17 time mark in the video:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57563952/lance-armstrong-admits-doping-to-oprah/

Oprah is being Oprah. Hopefully her Armstrong interview is as "satisfying" as she claims. She did mention some mumbo-jumbo about meeting Lance in Hawaii last month to discuss the interview. That smells kinda stinky to me!

Carols said:
Well this is the first time in my 62 years that I have chosen to watch Oprah say anything, so I'm totally incapable of making a call on that one!

Oh, my mom was a huge fan of Oprah way back when. Now she can't stand her. She says, "That woman got too big for her big britches."

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
one interesting thing from her interview on cbs was she said she will let others make the judgment as to whether armstrong comes off as contrite...she seems fairly ambiguous on that...

abc is reporting, and maybe it is old news but first I have heard so apologies if old...is that australian government has decided to go after the millions he took from them for the tour down under farces...

Bosco10 said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57563952/lance-armstrong-admits-doping-to-oprah/

Oprah is being Oprah. Hopefully her Armstrong interview is as "satisfying" as she claims. She did mention some mumbo-jumbo about meeting Lance in Hawaii last month to discuss the interview. That smells kinda stinky to me!
She says - the 2h30m interview will be broadcast in full - over two nights. Hope it's not a snoozefest

Carols said:
Well this is the first time in my 62 years that I have chosen to watch Oprah say anything, so I'm totally incapable of making a call on that one!

Haha I am with you carols!
I've never watched her....not sure if I can stand that much of watching Lance barf though...I might need to go outside and kick something! :D

Btw..does it surprise anyone that he ended up 'controlling' the convo??
She "didn't have to ask much" ....

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Bosco10 said:

Well I'm hooked. I think it may be what many, including those here, are looking for. Even if only in part.

I will be watching.

Man, this just gets wilder and wilder. As a start, this must mean the government is going to join the QT suit, right? Why else would they refuse $5 million?

Second, if they are joining the suit, the feds want to recover double or even triple damages of $60-90 million, so they will have to go after all the Tailwind heavies. So they wouldn't accept any settlement offers at this time, unless one was large enough to cover the entire sum they want? Right? So this doesn’t necessarily mean LA will actually have to pay more than $5 million, but only that they want to make sure they get all that money, so they can’t settle with any one of the players at this time.

But this is just my guess. Lawyers please weigh in.

More on the level playing field myth:

In 2006, in retirement from cycling having won his seventh Tour, Armstrong ran the New York City Marathon. He called it ''without a doubt the hardest physical thing I have ever done.'' He had sore shins and said he didn't train enough. He barely broke his goal of three hours, with 800-plus runners finishing ahead of him. It was pretty impressive for a marathon debut but hardly world class. If Armstrong did that run for fun drug-free, is that a good gauge of his natural athletic abilities?

''I think his New York marathon results are the closest we can get to understand how he'd perform alongside other non-doped athletes when he races without a needle. Good result, but definitely not someone you'd regard as the world's greatest endurance athlete,'' Australian anti-doping scientist Michael Ashenden said by email, responding to questions.

''Sport has thousands of athletes who succeed at under age or national level but who fail to emulate that success on the international stage. Everyone also realizes that winning a one-day world championship is not the same as winning a three-week major Tour. We have some insight into Armstrong's physiological limits from published results and those indicate he is a good athlete, capable of making a living as a pro. But his lab results definitely don't suggest he was great.''

TRENDING THREADS