• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 137 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Man, this just gets wilder and wilder. As a start, this must mean the government is going to join the QT suit, right? Why else would they refuse $5 million?

Second, if they are joining the suit, the feds want to recover double or even triple damages of $60-90 million, so they will have to go after all the Tailwind heavies. So they wouldn't accept any settlement offers at this time, unless one was large enough to cover the entire sum they want? Right? So this doesn’t necessarily mean LA will actually have to pay more than $5 million, but only that they want to make sure they get all that money, so they can’t settle with any one of the players at this time.

But this is just my guess. Lawyers please weigh in.

More on the level playing field myth:

Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure his marathon results were PED free, because in the emails between Armstrong and Ferraris son Stefano he is discussing how he wants to meet "schumi" so he can run sub 2:50.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57564168/cbs-news-government-rejects-armstrongs-$5m-restitution-offer/

13z03ya.jpg
[/IMG]

eq8y.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure his marathon results were PED free, because in the emails between Armstrong and Ferraris son Stefano he is discussing how he wants to meet "schumi" so he can run sub 2:50.
once a doper
always a doper

why run for an extra 15 minutes over 42km if you dont 'av' 2?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
They're all running scared now. They all thought Lance would never confess. Now he is they're all sucky back with Lance.

What is Wiggins hiding?
he is hiding that his runny nose is actually venereal disease.

Lance

got

a

round

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

I asked before about this as either you or someone else mentioned he might have been on the program for the marathon's.

I asked if anyone had any information that pointed to this. Interesting that there is some evidence that he was doing something. Is there anything further?

Here and other places I posted that he is a horrible runner. If he was on the program and ran the race that slow then he should throw away any running shoes he owns. Or spend a couple of years at 80+ mile weeks in order to sort out his running troubles. Seems he will have the time since he won't be doing any IronMan's. The ****** bags that participate in IronMan's don't even want him. Sorry but I'm laughing at this because in my opinion the largest group of cry babies on the planet are involved with and participate in I.M.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mark Chapman lifts the lid on the secret world of drug abuse in cycling. With contributions from former Tour de France cyclists Tyler Hamilton, Matt De Canio, Christophe Basson. Lance Armstrong's former soigner Emma O'Reilly tells us about an abuse that was rife inside his US Postal Service Team during their period of dominance. British cyclist David Millar also outlines how the present and future of the sport are a different proposition.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/5live/5lspecials/5lspecials_20130115-1716a.mp3

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Man, this guy ain't got no friends: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/u-s...s-dollar-5-million-offer-in-whisteblower-case

Hey BPC...er mountainrman, you better start your campaign against the US government now for not playing nice with Wonderboy. Too bad they saw through his bullsh!t (like we see through your's).

That ship can't find a port in a storm, right? I guess he should have come to Jesus back when Tygart graciously offered to let him in on the deal. That narcissistic personality disorder is a mother****er, right?

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
reginagold said:
I'm guessing it might be difficult to sell yourself as a cooperating witness if you were already the direct subject of a criminal investigation.

Not necessarily. Senior mafia figures have been rewarded in plea bargains for being "cooperating witnesses"

Also this is not just a "Lance thing" There were many involved not just lance, the team was systematic doping before Armstrong was ever involved as Mercier said, so fingers point elsewhere to "who started it and made it happen" to for example a very rich Thomas Weisel who is probably also good for the money.

In any event these same links have been on the Qui Tam thread for some time - more information is in the CBS news article I put up a long time ago . Decision day is tomorrow for whether they join Qui Tam - although I gather DoJ can launch their own action without Landis - which I would prefer, since I do not see why Landis should get rich out of this.

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
mountainrman said:
Not necessarily. Senior mafia figures have been rewarded in plea bargains for being "cooperating witnesses"

Also this is not just a "Lance thing" There were many involved not just lance, the team was systematic doping before Armstrong was ever involved as Mercier said, so fingers point elsewhere to "who started it and made it happen" to for example a very rich Thomas Weisel.

Lance's problem is he was the one constant player in his doping realm. The partners varied over time. The government does have a bit of experience taking down drug lord empires.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
I asked before about this as either you or someone else mentioned he might have been on the program for the marathon's.

I asked if anyone had any information that pointed to this. Interesting that there is some evidence that he was doing something. Is there anything further?

Here and other places I posted that he is a horrible runner. If he was on the program and ran the race that slow then he should throw away any running shoes he owns. Or spend a couple of years at 80+ mile weeks in order to sort out his running troubles. Seems he will have the time since he won't be doing any IronMan's. The ****** bags that participate in IronMan's don't even want him. Sorry but I'm laughing at this because in my opinion the largest group of cry babies on the planet are involved with and participate in I.M.

I'm anti-Lance, known he's a doper for many years like 90% plus of posters here (defensive context for the following comment :D) - I have run enough marathons to know not to compare mara performance to other endurance sports -why? injuries, pure and simple. Unless a runner is in the very small percentage who are perfectly build and aligned for running, injuries are a fact of life. I've had mara times vary by 30 minutes depending on state of ITB, PF and bursitis injuries. So I don't think it is reliable to say that a (relatively) crap mara time of 2:50 is a sign of being a (relatively) crap cyclist. 80+miles per week is the dream, but very very few can sustain that level of running uninjured.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
laziali said:
I'm anti-Lance, known he's a doper for many years like 90% plus of posters here (defensive context for the following comment :D) - I have run enough marathons to know not to compare mara performance to other endurance sports -why? injuries, pure and simple. Unless a runner is in the very small percentage who are perfectly build and aligned for running, injuries are a fact of life. I've had mara times vary by 30 minutes depending on state of ITB, PF and bursitis injuries. So I don't think it is reliable to say that a (relatively) crap mara time of 2:50 is a sign of being a (relatively) crap cyclist. 80+miles per week is the dream, but very very few can sustain that level of running uninjured.

Absolutely.

As an ultra trail and mountain runner, I have spent 8 of the last 11 years out injured primarily a consequence of far too many 80-100 mile weeks in the early nineties. I have had three operations in that time. So too has Paula Radcliffe. Running form and being lucky with your biomechanics matters a lot more in running than other endurance sports. It is not just about VO2 max or W/Kg.

In general terms top tour riders are taller (and heavier) than top runners - so different body structures matter.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
mountainrman said:
Absolutely.

As an ultra trail and mountain runner, I have spent 8 of the last 11 years out injured primarily a consequence of far too many 80-100 mile weeks in the early nineties. I have had three operations in that time. So too has Paula Radcliffe. Running form and being lucky with your biomechanics matters a lot more in running than other endurance sports. It is not just about VO2 max or W/Kg.

In general terms top tour riders are taller (and heavier) than top runners - so different body structures matter.

Ha Ha, that story is WAY too familiar:D That's why I love cycling so much - I haven't had a serious injury since I gave up running to focus on cycling. Of course, touch wood, no serious crashes which would rather tip the balance the other way!

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
laziali said:
Ha Ha, that story is WAY too familiar:D That's why I love cycling so much - I haven't had a serious injury since I gave up running to focus on cycling. Of course, touch wood, no serious crashes which would rather tip the balance the other way!

Sad to say I have had both.

As a cyclist I hate motorists with a passion, I have been pushed off the road several times by head on overtaking motorists leaving me nowhere to go but the ditch. **ouch** . Believe me it hurts coming off at 40K+/hour to a dead stop. No broken bones as yet touch wood.

So I try to find long trail rides, disused railways, and hill bridleways and so on.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:

I said nothing about him being a crap cyclist.

Based on his endurance performance in the TDF you would think his ability to run might be better but he sucks at running and it is not just his times. His stride, form, and apparently training regime sucks.

I said that if he was on the program and training for a marathon and all he can manage is a 2:50 well he sucks at the marathon and should not run them.

Laughing at you for saying that 80 miles a week for an elite athlete is not a sustainable level. I mentioned he needed to be doing that for sometime because a athlete in his supposed condition should have been able to do it in my opinion.

Funny but I have run for years and much of that is between the 60 to 90 mile week levels and have never had all those injuries you point out that you have had. I would recommend to you NEVER RUN AGAIN because your body can't take it. Point being not everyone are made to run and most people should stick to doing things that does not make their body break up.

If my marathon varies by 30 minutes from one to the next then I will never do another one ever again....period.

TRENDING THREADS