• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
To be replaced with.... Cookson?? Plant?? The management committee would hire one of their own, not get themselves into more controversy. It's damage control only. Contain the controversy!

You'd get a slightly different organization, but all the inconsistencies, secret list of favored riders, blacklisted riders, rules enforcements of the day/month/year would still be there.

Which Cookson has pledged to eradicate by making anti-doping independent.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Good stuff. It's why I always called the guy "the talent" portion of the team that did the fraud. Based on Race Radio's prior posts, he's not on speaking terms with the guy who allegedly inflated the scam, Thom Wiesel, and probably a few others. No more management team preparing him for interviews where he would improvise PR gold, hopelessly mixing a for-profit and non-profit, and more.

Without a team doing all the prep, Wonderboy 2013 as described in the article is exactly what you get.

Good?

He's following the "Omerta caught doper mould". Say nothing, or the bare minimum no matter what, sure he said he doped but what else? Nothing, no solid methods or ways like, we obtained product X from so an so and then we took it this way and met here and there... etc. Sure the R.D. confessors listed out some of it but Lance never has. (or did I miss it?)

Anyone surprised he has not said more really hasn't been following cycling for very long, his admission has been very cookie cutter from the Omerta mould. Not sure how a story saying he's said nothing is of any news? Sure it was a good short recount of some of what has transpired but is him calling Betsy Fat a real clincher in the whole story? Its as if the writer is calling all fat people to hate him :D yea, guess that might be great for the fat conglomerate to turn on him :rolleyes:

May 18, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/sport/cycling-armstrong-doping-walsh/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

Back in 1999, when the world was in thrall to the cancer survivor after Armstrong's remarkable comeback to win the Tour de France that year, Walsh was immediately skeptical.

"It was perfectly obvious to anybody with half a brain that Armstrong was cheating," said Walsh

LOL Walsh saying Lemond is an idiot.

LeMondArmstrong490H366.jpg

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
ChrisE said:

Well Lemond is meant to be anti doping? Never heard him criticise any rider for doping other than Armstrong. Theory - the down fall of Armstrong was never about doping, par say, it was about dysfunctional doping and demonstrative control on the bicycle industry, get it! There is a difference.

Walsh quote on new era:

"They (Sky) say they're clean. I've seen nothing to make me suspicious that they're telling a lie when they say they're clean, though that doesn't mean that things couldn't be happening behind my back".

Nar not worried about 'The Little Troll's' back. Probably not doing anything behind backs, just closed doors. I think anyone with half brain knows that!

ElChingon said:
Good?

He's following the "Omerta caught doper mould". Say nothing, or the bare minimum no matter what, sure he said he doped but what else? Nothing, no solid methods or ways like, we obtained product X from so an so and then we took it this way and met here and there... etc. Sure the R.D. confessors listed out some of it but Lance never has. (or did I miss it?)

I think the article has appropriate insight into the individual and reflects what a number of observers here have stated.

That is not the same thing as what you and I both agree needs to happen as much as Wonderboy getting a ban.

Doc, I don't agree Cookson's claimed reforms will happen. The guy is in campaign mode right now promising everything to everyone. As an example, he's promising more attention to Women's cycling, yet he was directly quoted as unwilling to promote it because it didn't generate revenue months ago. His claim that anti-doping would be "independent" doesn't mean he'll let WADA open cases. The discussions around this topic are always the same, delegating it to lower ranked people in the UCI.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Good stuff. It's why I always called the guy "the talent" portion of the team that did the fraud. Based on Race Radio's prior posts, he's not on speaking terms with the guy who allegedly inflated the scam, Thom Wiesel, and probably a few others. No more management team preparing him for interviews where he would improvise PR gold, hopelessly mixing a for-profit and non-profit, and more.

Without a team doing all the prep, Wonderboy 2013 as described in the article is exactly what you get.

Well written. The description fits what happens when the Grinder's monkey gets off his chain. Wait...Monkeyface!

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
horsinabout said:
Well Lemond is meant to be anti doping? Never heard him criticise any rider for doping other than Armstrong. Theory - the down fall of Armstrong was never about doping, par say, it was about dysfunctional doping and demonstrative control on the bicycle industry, get it! There is a difference.

Lemond has never been critical of the riders. He himself has stated that he was fortunate for his career to start when it did because he was never faced with the question of having to dope to be competitive. He is critical of the system, the doctors, the coaches, and the UCI. Armstrong just happens to be a strong supporter of the omerta and the system. It was all about institution of doping.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
horsinabout said:

Walsh quote on new era:

"They (Sky) say they're clean. I've seen nothing to make me suspicious that they're telling a lie when they say they're clean, though that doesn't mean that things couldn't be happening behind my back".

Nar not worried about 'The Little Troll's' back. Probably not doing anything behind backs, just closed doors. I think anyone with half brain knows that!

Not sure if English is your first language, but this was some pretty wild tangential arguing here. Try not to turn this into a Sky rant or the reason of LA's downfall.

I will try to type it out clearly for you - Walsh says anybody that didn't know LA was doping in 99 had less than half a brain. GL had no issue with LA until LA tied his TdF win total in 2001, ergo Walsh is saying GL is a rube (if one is inclined to believe GL didn't know of his doping before 2001).

Pretty funny from my POV, and straight forward. Why even the knee-jerk GL fanboys can't see humor in this is beyond me; instead they go off on screeching tangents. Have a nice day.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Not sure if English is your first language, but this was some pretty wild tangential arguing here. Try not to turn this into a Sky rant or the reason of LA's downfall.

I will try to type it out clearly for you - Walsh says anybody that didn't know LA was doping in 99 had less than half a brain. GL had no issue with LA until LA tied his TdF win total in 2001, ergo Walsh is saying GL is a rube (if one is inclined to believe GL didn't know of his doping before 2001).

Pretty funny from my POV, and straight forward. Why even the knee-jerk GL fanboys can't see humor in this is beyond me; instead they go off on screeching tangents. Have a nice day.

Yes ChrsE, I am English, so understand the irony you point out re Walsh's statement related to Lemond's early support of LA :)

I was pointing out another irony that I observed in the Walsh (half a brain statement) and throwing it back on him re his rather double standard support of Sky. Have a nice day!

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Berzin said:
Pretty pathetic attempt at revisionist history, ChrisE.

Lemond didn't question Armstrong's accomplishments until it was made public that he was working with Dr. Ferrari.
LeMond also believed/trusted Landis. Kimmage trusted another doper. Kohl it was? Walsh has faith in Team Sky.

And indeed, LeMond only went into the attack when Walsh exposed the pharmaceutical bike shop owner from Austin Texas as a client of Michele Ferrari. One of the goons that cut short a lot of LeMonds former teammates and friends and also caused some of them an early death.

Good to see the bikeshop owner from Austin Texas is there where he should be, at an amateur/tourist race:
http://ragbrai.com/

Will ChrisE attend?
;)

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
LeMond also believed/trusted Landis. Kimmage trusted another doper. Kohl it was? Walsh has faith in Team Sky.

And indeed, LeMond only went into the attack when Walsh exposed the pharmaceutical bike shop owner from Austin Texas as a client of Michele Ferrari. One of the goons that cut short a lot of LeMonds former teammates and friends and also caused some of them an early death.

;)

And this is the understandable bit of Lemond's anti doping stance. But the is a some hypocrisy there too.

ChrisE said:

Well, at least Lemond caught onto Armstrong's doping faster than he did to his opponents' even more obvious doping after 1991...

Good to see the bikeshop owner from Austin Texas is there where he should be, at an amateur/tourist race:

Will ChrisE attend?
;)

Hilarious.......thanks for this.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
I am always amazed at your ability to find almost everything on the net that has something to do with The Lance. Do people talk to you before they put up anything on the interwebs? (genuine question, am not trying to be a wise as$)

Google search alerter.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
ChrisE said:

I always thought that GL's relationship with LA went downhill dramatically after GL learnt of LA's relationship with Ferrari through an article written by Walsh (whose publication was preempted by LA)??

darwin553 said:
I always thought that GL's relationship with LA went downhill dramatically after GL learnt of LA's relationship with Ferrari through an article written by Walsh (whose publication was preempted by LA)??

That's it. GL began distancing himself from Wonderboy after he read the article. I think he did have some suspicions beforehand, the article seemed to back those up.

Will ChrisE attend?
;)

Very nice, fgl!