• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 529 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

gladster said:
Travis Tygart gave a lecture about LA and business ethics at a nearby university yesterday.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Pro/2015/11/05/U-S-anti-doping-head-speaks-at-UT.html

Lance is making Comeback 3.0 next year. Yellow bracelets back in fashion? :p

American Lance Armstrong could toe the starting line of a triathlon as early as August 27, 2016 according to the terms of his ban. His ban is up on the 24th of that month, but the 27th is the first Saturday following the ban's end-date.

Yes, Mr. Armstrong's ban is "lifetime," but his ban was levied according to the 2009 version of the WADA Code that included rule 10.10.1 that reads, in part, "An Athlete or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility longer than four (4) years may, after completing four (4) years of the period of Ineligibility, participate in local sport events in a sport other than the sport in which the Athlete or other Person committed the anti-doping rule violation, but only so long as the local sport event is not at a level that could otherwise qualify such Athlete or other Person directly or indirectly to compete in (or accumulate points toward) a national championship or International Event."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Armstrong_tri_eligible_in_2016_5461.html

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
gladster said:
Travis Tygart gave a lecture about LA and business ethics at a nearby university yesterday.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Pro/2015/11/05/U-S-anti-doping-head-speaks-at-UT.html

American Lance Armstrong could toe the starting line of a triathlon as early as August 27, 2016 according to the terms of his ban. His ban is up on the 24th of that month, but the 27th is the first Saturday following the ban's end-date.

Yes, Mr. Armstrong's ban is "lifetime," but his ban was levied according to the 2009 version of the WADA Code that included rule 10.10.1 that reads, in part, "An Athlete or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility longer than four (4) years may, after completing four (4) years of the period of Ineligibility, participate in local sport events in a sport other than the sport in which the Athlete or other Person committed the anti-doping rule violation, but only so long as the local sport event is not at a level that could otherwise qualify such Athlete or other Person directly or indirectly to compete in (or accumulate points toward) a national championship or International Event."

_B099415_2_3-1.jpg

thehog said:
But, yes, weird. Businesses destroyed by Armstrong but enough cash to film people, record phone conversations and release them on to the Internet.

C'mon hog you should know as well as anyone that what was presumably the majority of Lemond's assets at that time came from a source completely independent of his bike biz. His bike biz and brand was ravaged, and he was still very rich by most standards. These two items can be mutually exclusive.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
gladster said:

Which seems that it will also cause the "dirty dozen" to create a sequel. "Dirty Dozen rides again".

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
thehog said:
But, yes, weird. Businesses destroyed by Armstrong but enough cash to film people, record phone conversations and release them on to the Internet.

C'mon hog you should know as well as anyone that what was presumably the majority of Lemond's assets at that time came from a source completely independent of his bike biz. His bike biz and brand was ravaged, and he was still very rich by most standards. These two items can be mutually exclusive.

Some good old fashion corporate espionage from Armstrong and LeMond. This was round 2. Expect Armstrong to strike back when he returns to Tri's next year.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
thehog said:

Some good old fashion corporate espionage from Armstrong and LeMond. This was round 2. Expect Armstrong to strike back when he returns to Tri's next year.

Armstrong return to Tri will not be at a high level as i understand the terms of his ban.

Benotti69 said:
thehog said:
thehog said:

Armstrong return to Tri will not be at a high level as i understand the terms of his ban.
I read the same into the terms of his ban.

It seems he'll be allowed to enter local and mid-level events though.

I would expect him to compete in those as soon as he can be allowed to.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
thehog said:
thehog said:

I read the same into the terms of his ban.

It seems he'll be allowed to enter local and mid-level events though.

I would expect him to compete in those as soon as he can be allowed to.

I expect him to start his own 'Tri-fondos' or similar...guy will need to earn a crust soon :D

Benotti69 said:
I guess his lawyers, bank manager, ex wife etc are hoping...

Former major sponsors who dumped him for their own convenience only when it looked like it might be harmful to their bottom line, will no doubt be back on board when/if the fickle, short memory of public opinion trends positive again indicating possibility of profit from the association.

Benotti69 said:
I guess his lawyers, bank manager, ex wife etc are hoping...

Former major sponsors who dumped him for their own convenience only when it looked like it might be harmful to their bottom line, will no doubt be back on board when/if the fickle, short memory of public opinion trends positive again indicating possibility of profit from the association.

You are joking aren't you? No major sponsor will come close to him again, the guys a joke and will be tied up in lawsuits for years to come

Re:

MarkvW said:
I don't think there is much of a promotional market for 45 year-old second rank dope cheats.

But after the USPS suit is over, Lance will be pretty much done with lawsuits because of the statutes of limitation.
He still sells a lot of papers/magazines, and he's not even competing. I think you're correct for everyone except for Lance, but that's just my opinion and I can't see the future...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

irondan said:
MarkvW said:
I don't think there is much of a promotional market for 45 year-old second rank dope cheats.

But after the USPS suit is over, Lance will be pretty much done with lawsuits because of the statutes of limitation.
He still sells a lot of papers/magazines, and he's not even competing. I think you're correct for everyone except for Lance, but that's just my opinion and I can't see the future...
You never know what the Masters Tri community will spend money on. They like to buy everything from PED's to the latest cycling / swimming gadget. That community is probably 100% the biggest loser group ever. Maybe Lance will be able to fill his pockets with their money.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
thehog said:
gladster said:

Which seems that it will also cause the "dirty dozen" to create a sequel. "Dirty Dozen rides again".

Looking forward to the aferparty tweet: 501 tests!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

MacRoadie said:
Bonerjams96 said:

$500 million for "cancer research" huh? Glad to see he has a firm grasp on the facts there.
I think dude is just a comedian that has not done much financial research at least not like the experts here at CN or the dirty dozen.

Seriously did you hear the crowd? People here complaining about this comedian dude and the applause he got is pointless. That guy and the crowd which much like jo-shmo know nothing about cycling and less about how much money was raised by LA for whatever. No way you can change that.

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

Glenn_Wilson said:
MacRoadie said:
Bonerjams96 said:

$500 million for "cancer research" huh? Glad to see he has a firm grasp on the facts there.
I think dude is just a comedian that has not done much financial research at least not like the experts here at CN or the dirty dozen.

Seriously did you hear the crowd? People here complaining about this comedian dude and the applause he got is pointless. That guy and the crowd which much like jo-shmo no nothing about cycling and less about how much money was raised by LA for whatever. No way you can change that.

Sadly, You're correct. Seems he(Wonderboy) still has fanboys and no matter what he's done and to whom, it's the same old:" it was a level playing field, he did NOTHING that the other top RIDERS didn't do, they all doped, every single one of them, they all blah blah blah..." As if to justify what he's done as being ok. They also recite the "he raised $500 million for.cancer victims" nonsense ad nauseam.

Seems many of these folks are ignorant to the facts or just don't get any of it.

Glenn_Wilson said:
irondan said:
MarkvW said:

You never know what the Masters Tri community will spend money on. They like to buy everything from PED's to the latest cycling / swimming gadget. That community is probably 100% the biggest loser group ever. Maybe Lance will be able to fill his pockets with their money.
Proudly sponsored by Amgen...
"Look what you can do when on our products",
"What are you on?"...

Don't know if this has been mentioned here. It's a few months old, but Trail Runner magazine seems to be happy to help Armstrong in his latest attempt to rehabilitate himself. Warning, go here only if you can tolerate writer Jenn Shelton's cloying sycophancy.

"Lance looked down at what he calls his “burger belly” and smiled. It was a smile I didn’t even know that I’d seen before until that moment—a smile that all of America smiled alongside every July for seven years. Boyish and mischievous, resting below a set of hardened blue eyes. A visage so unmistakable that no beard or baseball cap could ever disguise it."

http://trailrunnermag.com/people/adventure/article/1806-a-grand-odyssey-lance-armstron-jenn-shelton

The irony for me is that I stumbled on this in writer Christopher McDougall's twitter feed. Chris is the hawking his book "Natural Born Heroes."

Re:

Orvieto said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned here. It's a few months old, but Trail Runner magazine seems to be happy to help Armstrong in his latest attempt to rehabilitate himself. Warning, go here only if you can tolerate writer Jenn Shelton's cloying sycophancy.

"Lance looked down at what he calls his “burger belly” and smiled. It was a smile I didn’t even know that I’d seen before until that moment—a smile that all of America smiled alongside every July for seven years. Boyish and mischievous, resting below a set of hardened blue eyes. A visage so unmistakable that no beard or baseball cap could ever disguise it."

http://trailrunnermag.com/people/adventure/article/1806-a-grand-odyssey-lance-armstron-jenn-shelton

The irony for me is that I stumbled on this in writer Christopher McDougall's twitter feed. Chris is the hawking his book "Natural Born Heroes."
This link has been posted here before, but it just goes to show that Lance permeates US media very deeply.

His antics can be found in every crack and crevice of the internet, and are often stumbled upon on accident.

TRENDING THREADS