• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
My bad, because that's all anyone has been talking about since he returned: cancer awareness. Not the inevitable leadership issues, his fitness, his recoveries. Nope, it's all about cancer awareness. I really don't mean to be cynical (I've had several people close to me die from cancer), but right now all I see is LA trying to recapture his shine.

Who, who is this "all anyone has been talking about" - who? I read cycling web sites for my cycling news and I don't see any Cancer or Livestrong headlines. Main stream media/local news is total cr@p for real cycling news, most know that (even here in Austin, it's better but still all fluff, as most news is).

It is super easy to find a ton of info about his fitness and recovery, I found it very intersting to follow and was amazed at the way they went about fixing his collar bone. And again I wonder - why in the world anyone (anyone meaning anyone who follows cycling) would be surprised that Lance came out of retirement to *shock* race his bike and try to win :confused:

Padeiro said:
Maybe that's all that anyone is talking about in the cycling arena. Not so in the cancer community. Folks I talk to don't really give two s**ts about the Astana leadership drama. Again, to a lot of people, this is about much more than who gapped whom on Arcalis.

I was talking about in the press. Like the AP, BBC, Reuters, NY Times, etc., etc.

UTFan2 said:
Who, who is this "all anyone has been talking about" - who? I read cycling web sites for my cycling news and I don't see any Cancer or Livestrong headlines. Main stream media/local news is total cr@p for real cycling news, most know that (even here in Austin, it's better but still all fluff, as most news is).

It is super easy to find a ton of info about his fitness and recovery, I found it very intersting to follow and was amazed at the way they went about fixing his collar bone. And again I wonder - why in the world anyone (anyone meaning anyone who follows cycling) would be surprised that Lance came out of retirement to *shock* race his bike and try to win :confused:

I was referring to the media: the folks that disseminate information to the unwashed masses of the world.

I'm not confused one bit about Lance. I'm just not buying that his return was about raising cancer awareness. It was about raising his profile. He missed the spotlight. Happens to all great athletes once they retire.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
He missed the spotlight.

What spotlight are you talking about?! Lance was more Hollywood during his retirement than he ever was during his career. Did you miss all the magazine covers, several gfs, ads selling all kinds of stuff, movie premiers, and all that crap? I guess you can believe whatever you want. But the comeback has been a huge success for raising global awareness and eliciting governmental action in fighting cancer. Whether you want to accept it or not, it is helping. It is saving lives. It is what it is.

Padeiro said:
I guess you can believe whatever you want. But the comeback has been a huge success for raising global awareness and eliciting governmental action in fighting cancer. Whether you want to accept it or not, it is helping. It is saving lives. It is what it is.

Try this link. His charity isn't actually doing as good as you might hope (and myself for that matter, as much as i might seem like a hater, im not and i want him and his foundation to do good). i want to believe its all about the charity but i'm not completely sold on it. It may be raising awarness but it ain't running like the well oiled machine LA makes out.

I just think my hard earned dollars could be better spent with another charity

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The new ad for FRS.

vsh0474l.jpg

LOL! :D Thanks for that.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the fanfare

Publicus said:
I was referring to the media: the folks that disseminate information to the unwashed masses of the world.

I'm not confused one bit about Lance. I'm just not buying that his return was about raising cancer awareness. It was about raising his profile. He missed the spotlight. Happens to all great athletes once they retire.

MJordan missed it, the fanfare, praise, attention etc. It feeds the human need for affirmation. People do not realise the huge downturn and perhaps depression that stars (Movie folks,Sportsmen etc) face when they leave the stage or sport. They begin to ask who am I? what am I? Rather than face the existential question, some run back to the sport or stage. Yes even at the risk of damage to the body.

This return is really a reflection of a deeper LA problem. The post-race mouthing tells a lot.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, been playing out similar scenarios in my head also. I am starting to wonder if Armstrong might pull a TT out of his a$$ and the hold on just close enough on Ventoux to take the Tour.

Pull a time trial "out of his ***"??

This is a guy who structured the past 10 months of training around peaking in the very last week of the Tour de France. Every indicator I have seen so far leads me to conclude that he is on course to do just that. If he smokes the time trial it will not be "out of his ***" but rather the result of meticulous preparation and timing.

I am not addressing you directly, but it seems the Lance bashers are quickly realizing that Lance DOES have the form to win this race and their starting to get wishy washy in their excuses.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Try this link. His charity isn't actually doing as good as you might hope (and myself for that matter, as much as i might seem like a hater, im not and i want him and his foundation to do good). i want to believe its all about the charity but i'm not completely sold on it. It may be raising awarness but it ain't running like the well oiled machine LA makes out.

While I agree 18% fundraising is high. 4.9% administrative is actually pretty good. 77% of donated money goes to the cause. Its not great but I've seen "charities" with worse.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Ten Percent Grade said:
Pull a time trial "out of his ***"??

This is a guy who structured the past 10 months of training around peaking in the very last week of the Tour de France. Every indicator I have seen so far leads me to conclude that he is on course to do just that. If he smokes the time trial it will not be "out of his ***" but rather the result of meticulous preparation and timing.

I am not addressing you directly, but it seems the Lance bashers are quickly realizing that Lance DOES have the form to win this race and their starting to get wishy washy in their excuses.

Given his age and circumstances of his return, I look at Armstrong's performance in the Tour this yr as a daily experiment.

I don't think anyone can say they "know" how he is going to perform--not even Armstrong himself--with certainty.

If he does well, those who "predicted" it can say they guessed right, but that's about it. Same if he does poorly.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

That was exactly what I said to the guy. It just takes a couple of minutes in the spotlight for anyone guessing mr. Armostrong's real return intentions.

Azdak6 said:
Given his age and circumstances of his return, I look at Armstrong's performance in the Tour this yr as a daily experiment.

I don't think anyone can say they "know" how he is going to perform--not even Armstrong himself--with certainty.

If he does well, those who "predicted" it can say they guessed right, but that's about it. Same if he does poorly.

+1. He is an unknown quantity at this point. I'll say this though, he's not look "fluid" in the mountains. He's been there for every move, no doubt, but he looks more like Levi than Lance 2005 if that makes any sense. Maybe he's holding back in anticipation of the Alps.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:

Did you look at the other cancer charties? It appears that Livestrongs(77.0) has a better percentage of Program Expenses than the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network(86.5%) and the American-Italian Cancer Foundation (93%)

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Azdak6 said:

I agree with you. I'm not predicting anything - I'm just saying if he performs well it will not be by accident.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Today's news...before this gets censored...

LA said today in an interview on French TV:

“I won't just sign off on third-place yet,” said Armstrong. “To be completely honest, there has been some slight friction on the team. Alberto has some aggressive ambitions; I won this race a few times so I understand."

He also said he and JB expect to be forming a new team in 2010 to compete in the TDF.

I think the new JB/LA team is the worst kept secret in cycling. Gotta think Nike might be involved.

AC still has one year on his contract.

Not sure if this got posted or not:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=336417&FS=F1

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
+1. He is an unknown quantity at this point. I'll say this though, he's not look "fluid" in the mountains. He's been there for every move, no doubt, but he looks more like Levi than Lance 2005 if that makes any sense. Maybe he's holding back in anticipation of the Alps.

I think we discussed this before. I agree--he looks like a 37 yr old rider with good (excellent?) aerobic conditioning. The first thing that goes is the ability to accelerate.

That was always my basis for thinking that he could not be considered anything more than a top 5-10 finisher. I figured he would ride in the mountains like Leipheimer--always in the top tier group, but distanced in the final km. Kind of what we saw in the Giro--kind of what we saw in Stage 7. I assumed that there would be at least 3-4 riders who would be able to drop him on the mountaintop finishes and he would be competitive but not dominant in the TT. To me that was emphasized when he only finished 18 sec ahead of Andy Schleck in the opening TT.

The course setup for this yr's TdF means that nothing has been revealed yet--except that Menchov was not ready to ride. I don't think there has been any need to "hold back" because none of the stages has really called for a maximum effort.

I am sticking to my firm prediction that ..... I can't really make a prediction. :p

Ten Percent Grade said:
I agree with you. I'm not predicting anything - I'm just saying if he performs well it will not be by accident.

You are right of course it will not be an accident - and as others have said we have not seen much to tell us he has the form of previous tours. I for one think his head still thinks his legs can do things that they will not be able to deliver.

I will be as excited as many posting here to see Lance at full throttle and Contador, Schleck etc having to dig really deep to compete.

One thing I will say is that the simplicity of an ITT followed by defending a lead on Ventoux is something that plays into Lance's hands. He will not have to show much until then and there is little time for anyone to respond once he has taken the initiative.

As we keep saying it's going to be a great last week.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Looks like Armstrong is getting a free-ride from the UCI again....
____

LIMOGES, France (Reuters) - International Cycling Union (UCI) president Pat McQuaid on Monday refuted allegations that the organisation's anti-doping testers were "indulgent" towards riders on the Tour de France.

Pierre Bordry, the president of the French Anti-Doping Agency which works hand in hand with the UCI on the Tour, told French paper Le Figaro to be published on Tuesday: "There is a lack of rigour in the work of the UCI testers.

"I have the feeling there is some indulgence towards the riders and that the same rules do not apply to all of them."

He would not elaborate.

"I received a letter from Pierre Bordry and I am going to reply to it," McQuaid told Reuters by telephone.

"I refute allegations that there is any indulgence."

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
whiteboytrash said:
Looks like Armstrong is getting a free-ride from the UCI again....
____

LIMOGES, France (Reuters) - International Cycling Union (UCI) president Pat McQuaid on Monday refuted allegations that the organisation's anti-doping testers were "indulgent" towards riders on the Tour de France.

Pierre Bordry, the president of the French Anti-Doping Agency which works hand in hand with the UCI on the Tour, told French paper Le Figaro to be published on Tuesday: "There is a lack of rigour in the work of the UCI testers.

"I have the feeling there is some indulgence towards the riders and that the same rules do not apply to all of them."

He would not elaborate.

"I received a letter from Pierre Bordry and I am going to reply to it," McQuaid told Reuters by telephone.

"I refute allegations that there is any indulgence."

The UCI, indulging Him? Surely not? :rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
The AFLD did a good job at the Tour last year. So I tend to think what they say carries some weight. They are there on the ground and will know what is going on.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
This is how Lance Armstrong likes it. Riding on the shoulder of an enemy, ready to pounce, keeping him, keeping him guessing guessing. Once it was Marco Pantani and Jan Ullrich. Now the enemy is his own team-mate. And Alberto Contador can be sure that, some time in the next 12 days, the attack from within will come. But he cannot know when or where.

That is one Lance Armstrong: the man who claimed victory in a record seven Tours de France while surrounded by suspicion and innuendo concerning his training methods and his performance, none of it supported by conclusive evidence. This is the arrogant Texan whose exploits, since his days as a junior triathlete, have been fuelled by anger and resentment and are based – in the words of one of his early mentors – on a desire not just to win, but to crush his opponents.

On his comeback to the race with which he is identified, Armstrong is again the focus of attention. As one of his 179 rivals said the other day, "There's one camera on him and one on the rest of us." And while presenting a genial, equable front, he is leaving no doubt that his killer instinct remains active. Whether it remains potent enough to propel a 37-year-old body towards a reprise of the great feats of its earlier incarnation, an apprehensive Castilian is about to discover.

The other Armstrong is the man who came back from radical surgery and radical surgery and debilitating chemotherapy to launch a cancer campaign and who became through his two best-selling books and his public appearances, nothing less than an inspiration to countless fellow sufferers. The total sale of his Livestrong charity's yellow rubber wristbands at a dollar (or a euro) apiece has now reached 75 million, and those who buy them during this year's Tour are assured by Armstrong that the proceeds will go to local cancer organisations.

"That's the difference this year," he said in Tarbes last night. "All the money stays here. I want people to understand that. It's not going back to the USA or to Texas." How could anyone criticise an activist in such an impeccable cause? Even here, however, it is possible for those who dislike the way Armstrong's presence overshadows the race to accuse him of exploiting the Tour's history for his own purposes for his own purposes. The appropriation of the colour yellow, identified for more than a century with the leader's jersey, is debatable, and there are other ways in which the race has become an Armstrong vehicle.

One cherished Tour tradition is the fans' habit of covering the roads with hand-painted exhortations to their heroes. This year four black and yellow Livestrong vans are travelling ahead of the race, selling the wristbands and promoting the charity while neatly stencilling the course, a kilometre at a time, with messages from Armstrong's supporters: "Get a goal and reach further", "Enjoy living not just life", "It's about hope, not the bike". Meanwhile, Armstrong rides on, accepting the applause and the adulation from his old position just behind the front of the peloton, lying third in the general classification, a negligible nine seconds behind Rinaldo Nocentini and two seconds behind Contador, and looking every bit as much in charge as he was in his glory days. When Laurent Fignon, twice a winner of the Tour and now a fellow fighter against cancer, suggested that Armstrong has resumed his former role as the patron of the race, the American demurred.

"My position in the peloton is different," he said. "Perhaps before I ran it with an iron hand. Now it's different. I'm not the sort of boss I was before." He has become adroit, however, at sending out conflicting messages. In almost the same breath as announcing that it is now "war" between him and his team-mate, he explained his lack of response to Contador's surprise attack in Andorra last Friday by saying that he had only been following team orders.

"When Alberto went, there was nothing I could do," he said. "A lot has been made about the team politics but he is my team-mate, and I can't chase him. I can't do anything about following him. That was the case in Andorra." If the same thing were to happen in the mountain-top finish in Verbier on Sunday, or on the Mont Ventoux on the Tour's penultimate day, he added, he would have no choice but to do the same. "I can't break the rules of the team. If he's the best rider in the race, there's nothing I can do. So I try to relax, to keep the atmosphere as calm as I can." He is expecting to grow stronger as the race progresses, as he did in the Giro d'Italia in May, pointing out that he had gone through a month without races between the Giro and the Tour. "I think it's logical that we came into this race a little flat. Not out of shape, but a little... … dull." It takes racing, he added, to recover true form.

For Contador and the rest of the field, the bad news is that Armstrong will not be finished with the Tour when it ends in Paris on 26 July. "Maybe one more," he said yesterday when asked whether this would be his last appearance. And after that he will return with a team of his own, run in partnership with his long-time team director, Johan Bruyneel, supported by Nike and promoting Livestrong, with a main sponsor yet to be identified.

That project, one might imagine, explains why he has become so pally with Mark Cavendish. In assembling the key components of hissquad, Armstrong will require the services of a top sprinter. Cavendish is in awe of the seven-times Tour winner, and proud of the fact that they started exchanging texts a few weeks ago. By the time Team Armstrong, or whatever it turns out to be called, arrives for the start of its first Tour, probably in 2011, Cavendish will be 26 and nearing his prime.

And after a couple of seasons running his own team, what then for Lance Armstrong? The current speculation is that, having spent the last few years being welcomed by heads of state and polishing his public persona, he will run for high political office. This is not a joke. He is a political animal, as his rivals old and new can attest. His public work for cancer and the polishing of his defence against those who accuse him of doping have made him an accomplished performer in front of the cameras and the microphones. He charms world leaders and puts the stiletto into enemies in the peloton with equal efficiency.

If the current US president stuffs up in three or seven years' time, an Armstrong bandwagon may begin to roll. As a sometimes abrasive Texan, and a former cycling buddy of George W Bush, he would seem to fit neatly into the Republican profile. But a personal tendency towards the more liberal end of the political spectrum – he was against the invasion of Iraq – might make him attractive to Democrats in a post-Obama era.

There are battles to be won before his career takes that sort of turn. Bradley Wiggins, who has ridden alongside Armstrong and Contador for the past few days, gave an interesting view of their rivalry yesterday. "I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen between those two," he said. "There could come a point at which they get off the bikes and start fighting each other. It could get as messy as that."

I wouldn't want to be Alberto if it came to that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.