• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: 2009 Tour of Austria

May 6, 2009
Visit site
And surprise surprise Columbia win the opening stage through Andre Greipel. Seriously, he should change teams. There is no way a sprinter of his calibre should not be racing at the Tour.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
think you meant "who really cares about Australia"?

Well they make great appetizers like the Bloomin' Onion....things there must be really great!

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
is that Alf Stewart's restaurant?

I don't know but they are getting ready to delete his Wiki reference, so you Aussies need to sign a petition or something?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
think you meant "who really cares about Australia"?

That's a bit harsh. The reason why i said "who cares about the tour of austria" is because it is continually overshadowed by the tour de france and doesn't get much attention.

auscyclefan94 said:
That's a bit harsh. The reason why i said "who cares about the tour of austria" is because it is continually overshadowed by the tour de france and doesn't get much attention.

Yea, let's skip Volta Ciclista a Catalunya and Bayern Rundfahrt when there'll be Giro, let's skip Tour of Benelux when there will be Vuelta.
Doh, man, I know Tour Down Under doesn't have any rivals in that part of the season, but we have cyclocross season here... so please no "Tour Down Under" threads next January... in fact cyclingnews should close "ROAD CYCLING" section between November and Februrary.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Martin said:
Yea, let's skip Volta Ciclista a Catalunya and Bayern Rundfahrt when there'll be Giro, let's skip Tour of Benelux when there will be Vuelta.
Doh, man, I know Tour Down Under doesn't have any rivals in that part of the season, but we have cyclocross season here... so please no "Tour Down Under" threads next January... in fact cyclingnews should close "ROAD CYCLING" section between November and Februrary.

The tour de france is the biggest cycle race in the world. The vuelta or giro are not as bigger or prestigious events. Tour of Catalunya and Tour of Benelux are protour events so they still get lots of media attention. Tour of Austria isn't a ptotour event. How much on cyclingnews do you hear about the tour of austria? Hardly anything...

craig1985 said:
And surprise surprise Columbia win the opening stage through Andre Greipel. Seriously, he should change teams. There is no way a sprinter of his calibre should not be racing at the Tour.

You gotta figure he leaves at some point. More wins than anyone in the peloton the last two years, save Cav but never gets to test himself in the biggest races.

auscyclefan94 said:
The tour de france is the biggest cycle race in the world. The vuelta or giro are not as bigger or prestigious events. Tour of Catalunya and Tour of Benelux are protour events so they still get lots of media attention. Tour of Austria isn't a ptotour event. How much on cyclingnews do you hear about the tour of austria? Hardly anything...

To which I say; well summarized, and exactly therefore we need a thread dedicated to the Tour of Austria.

jaylew said:
You gotta figure he leaves at some point. More wins than anyone in the peloton the last two years, save Cav but never gets to test himself in the biggest races.

Aren't there rumors that Cav could leave Columbia next year for Sky.
That would change his perspective al Columbia drastically.

11 wins this year already...
and he was completly out of racing for some month after crashing in Australia.
He raced only 26 days this season.

Rechtschreibfehler said:
Aren't there rumors that Cav could leave Columbia next year for Sky.
That would change his perspective al Columbia drastically.

11 wins this year already...
and he was completly out of racing for some month after crashing in Australia.
He raced only 26 days this season.

Griepel might be the most underrated cyclists out there. He was overshadowed at T-Mobile by the GC presence and now he is overshadowed by Cavendish. HE still is fairly young i believe (26 or 27 maybe??) so this be a good time to find a team willing to make him the man for the sprints

Thanks for making this a sticky. I'm so burnt out on the Tour Circus, it's great to read about actual racing, and pure racing. Something cool about UCI 2.HC races. You get a lot of good racing on good courses, and guys that are on the fringe of making it big, or talented guys like Albasini and Greipel who get a place to shine.

Anyone have a link to the official site, to where I can see profiles and maps? CN doesn't show them.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Thanks for making this a sticky. I'm so burnt out on the Tour Circus, it's great to read about actual racing, and pure racing. Something cool about UCI 2.HC races. You get a lot of good racing on good courses, and guys that are on the fringe of making it big, or talented guys like Albasini and Greipel who get a place to shine.

Anyone have a link to the official site, to where I can see profiles and maps? CN doesn't show them.

http://www.oesterreich-rundfahrt.at/en/index08_en.htm

May 6, 2009
Visit site
DJ Sprtsch said:
Stage 2, another win for Columbia.
Albasini won the mountain top finish sprint on Kitzbuehler Horn in front of G. Caruso. Albasini was in the initial 13 man breakaway and had been out in front for about 150km.

The next Tour of Switzerland IMO.

TRENDING THREADS