• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Giro d'Italia

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,

The Grand Tour riders kick into gear in a week's time with the Giro d'Italia. So it's time to share your thoughts on this year's course and the likely protagonists here.

So, who will it be? Ivan Basso? Lance Armstrong? Someone random? And where will it be won?

I'm not guessing any of these things - but I'm sure looking forward to this year's race!

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm hugely looking forward to it too.

They've done a great job with this year's route. A team time trial to start (Garmin to win that!), a summit finish on stage four (?!), the Milan city centre stage and then the one I'm most looking forward to....... Blockhaus. Should be cracking stuff. :)

I'm completely undecided so far on who will win...... I will come back on that in a few days with a prediction, no doubt a rubbish one.

Quite a few.
Since we haven't yet got a full start list, it is hard to say who they may be.
I would expect Joachim Rodriguez to figure and maybe JvDB, if he is riding again, this year.

There will be some surprises, but the biggest one for me would be your prediction.
There is no way Armstrong should even figure in the top half a dozen, given his lack of preparation.
Two "training" events and an amateur bash is not going to set anyone up for the high mountains which will hit home almost as soon as the race begins.

That's just a "pipe dream". Most likely, he will abandon, in favour of the Tour, after a couple of weeks.

If he wins this, then Ferrari will have found a new fuel, for millionaires only.

I'm very interested in seeing what Thomas Lövkvist can do. Is this perhaps his chance to show he can last an entire 3 week tour? Last year Gustav Larsson finished 14th in the Giro and throughout their careers lövkvist has been the bigger talent in my mind. He just need to grow into the role and perhaps that is now.

Mellow Velo said:
Quite a few.
Since we haven't yet got a full start list, it is hard to say who they may be.
I would expect Joachim Rodriguez to figure and maybe JvDB, if he is riding again, this year.

There will be some surprises, but the biggest one for me would be your prediction.
There is no way Armstrong should even figure in the top half a dozen, given his lack of preparation.
Two "training" events and an amateur bash is not going to set anyone up for the high mountains which will hit home almost as soon as the race begins.

That's just a "pipe dream". Most likely, he will abandon, in favour of the Tour, after a couple of weeks.

If he wins this, then Ferrari will have found a new fuel, for millionaires only.

Let me tell you are underestimating who I think be the best rider for stage-race ever in the history after Marco Pantani...
Lance needn't to race in order to go in shape for a Grand Tour, he knows better than any other how to train in the month prior the main event. Certainly his injunry has not been scheduled before... but all in all he has lost only 4 days; 2 days after the crash he underwent on surgey and just only 2 days later he has started again to train on his home bike.
I'm sure he will suffer a bit on the Dolomites but if the opposing will not capitalize on the situation it will be hard for them when sure in TT lance will be the best by far...

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
My bet's on Leipheimer, especially since it's becoming more and more clear that he's the main man for GC within the Astana equipe. With Armstrong, Brajkovic, Horner and Popovych in support, he should be able to limit his uphill losses (if any) and strike in both timetrials. Basso and Menchov could be on the podium as well, Sastre and the other lot of Italians (Di Luca, Simoni, Cunego, Garzelli,...) will barely make top 10 I think, only Pellizotti could be a real contender for the top 3, but it will all depend on the work he'll have to do for Basso. I'd love to see Bruseghin repeat last years performance, but I'm afraid the climbs this year are a bit too steep for him. And he'll probably have to work for Cunego. The biggest question mark would be Michael Rogers: how is his form, how is his focus towards this Giro? If he puts his mind on it and he finds his old form back, he could be a surprising outsider for the GC, no?

Of course, it still remains to be seen who this years Sella and Ricco will be :D

ingsve said:
I'm very interested in seeing what Thomas Lövkvist can do. Is this perhaps his chance to show he can last an entire 3 week tour? Last year Gustav Larsson finished 14th in the Giro and throughout their careers lövkvist has been the bigger talent in my mind. He just need to grow into the role and perhaps that is now.

Yes.. I think Thomas Lovkvist could be the biggest surprise of the Giro as well

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Hey guys,

The Grand Tour riders kick into gear in a week's time with the Giro d'Italia. So it's time to share your thoughts on this year's course and the likely protagonists here.

So, who will it be? Ivan Basso? Lance Armstrong? Someone random? And where will it be won?

I'm not guessing any of these things - but I'm sure looking forward to this year's race!

Cheers
Greg Johnson

A related question. Since I live in the 'black hole' of Euro cycling coverage(the USA), have any leads on web sites, etc to follow the best race of the year? I know VS isn't covering it even if sir lance is gonna be there.

Jasper said:
My bet's on Leipheimer, especially since it's becoming more and more clear that he's the main man for GC within the Astana equipe. With Armstrong, Brajkovic, Horner and Popovych in support, he should be able to limit his uphill losses (if any) and strike in both timetrials. Basso and Menchov could be on the podium as well, Sastre and the other lot of Italians (Di Luca, Simoni, Cunego, Garzelli,...) will barely make top 10 I think, only Pellizotti could be a real contender for the top 3, but it will all depend on the work he'll have to do for Basso. I'd love to see Bruseghin repeat last years performance, but I'm afraid the climbs this year are a bit too steep for him. And he'll probably have to work for Cunego. The biggest question mark would be Michael Rogers: how is his form, how is his focus towards this Giro? If he puts his mind on it and he finds his old form back, he could be a surprising outsider for the GC, no?

Of course, it still remains to be seen who this years Sella and Ricco will be :D

Garzelli is out of the top 20...
I think instead that Leipheimer will work for Her Majesty Lance Armstrong

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
A related question. Since I live in the 'black hole' of Euro cycling coverage(the USA), have any leads on web sites, etc to follow the best race of the year? I know VS isn't covering it even if sir lance is gonna be there.

You can use Tvants to stream live video. Most likely it will be french eurosport.

I just go on to http://cyclingfans.com/ On race day they usually have a decent amount of Video feeds (they appear on the right side bar). You'll have to play around with them because most of em' are geo-restricted. The Eurosport ones are usually pretty good though, and I love the french announcers (They're always cracking jokes).

Also, don't expect anything high-def, grainy and perhaps a bit laggy is the way to go! Alternately, maybe you want to try subscribing to cycling.tv?

Pietro said:

The place to watch any cycling live on the net is:

http://www.steephill.tv

Although you will need a half decent internet connection, it provides all the different feeds for each race ie. sporza, eurosport, fr eurosport, etc, etc (even versus on races they cover.)

The actual link you need though is:

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/

if you scroll down it has a link to live feeds. But since the giro hasnt started yet the feed links arent up. Come may 9th though it will be a different story.

Hope that helps
Cheers

Unless there is a new "proven" product on the market, my money is on Cunego and Menchov.

Ivan Basso: The third week will show his lack of depth or the long time being off the bike.

Lance Armstrong: No way Jose. Lack of preparation. No matter how gifted you are.

Levi: Maybe.

Dark Horses: Simoni, Soler, Pellizoti, Di Luca, Spanish riders (They are so unpredictable sometimes).

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't write Sastre off completely. Seems he wants to do well in this and while Cervelo are a new team, they have some experienced riders.

If I had to take a wild stab at it...... I'd go for Levi. But that is a very tentative guess. I just can't wait for the fun to start.

Will be good getting the thoughts on the action of everyone here too.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Hey guys,

Cheers
Greg Johnson

My vote goes to Leipheimer, because he finally needs to establish himself as a GT rider/winner. His program leading up to the Giro seems to be perfect. He will probably be surrounded with a very strong team.

This is contrary to Cunego's program, who might have used too much energy in the recent hilly classics. Leipy is also a better TT than Cunego. (a 15 and a 61 ITT(!) and a 20 TTT)

Menchov is only there in preparation to the TdF, so I expect him to pass when it really gets tough (despite his very good performance last yr). On the other hand, if he really feels like he/the team could take a win, I don't think they'll let it pass. On the other other hand, RAB is famous for it's wild decision making at important moments, so, they might remain dedicated to the Menchov/TdF combo while a Giro win is within reach...

The dark horse is Basso. He has been keeping a low profile, he hasn't wasted a lot ot energy showing himself. He has been away for a long time, but really eager to elevate himself to former glory.

Di Luca, Garzelli, Sastre...I think they will lose too much time in the TTs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
You can use Tvants to stream live video. Most likely it will be french eurosport.

As long as you keep a port open, otherwise you're pulling data from the nw, but are not contributing it/sharing the feed. When many people do it, it basically kills the nw, hence the stream.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Podium

Levi
Basso
Cunego
I'm not saying anything about LA until that fist mountain stage after that I will revise, if he rockets himself up that mountain then he's gonna win.

I'm amazed how everyone now appears to be tipping Levi.
A month ago, all the talk was of Levi taking it easy for the Tour.
Domestique duties for his highness, only.

What's changed? I'm guessing LA's lack of race prep.

In which case, folks need a broader outlook.

This race won't be decided in either the Dolomites, Alps or the ITT, but in Central Italy.
Stages 12-14 will be a shock to all who don't know this terrain.
The "Volcano" will be another eye opener.

A lot of riders will be "on the rivet" and beyond, just to survive.
It's where the Italians and maybe the odd Spaniard will excel.

A pity you won't be having Versus over there.
Ah, the price of having one guy at the races.:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
This race won't be decided in either the Dolomites, Alps or the ITT, but in Central Italy.
Stages 12-14 will be a shock to all who don't know this terrain.
The "Volcano" will be another eye opener.

...stage 12 is the 60K ITT, 13 is as level as a pool table and 14 is hilly/mountaineous with a ascent finish in Bologna?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to say so, but Zomegnan really made it difficult for Italian riders to win it this year.
No chance for a win by Di Luca, Cunego or Simoni.
They'll all lose massive time in the TT's, and the mountain top finishes aren't nearly as difficult in years past.
Where are Zoncolan:cool:, Mortirolo, Marmolada, Stelvio...?
No chance of a pure climber like Simoni to win.
Only Basso has any chance.
Pellizotti? No CERA this year + has to play domestique. The same goes for Bruseghin. If those two make it into Top 10, they should be happy.
If Liquigas are strong enough and put enough pressure on the Astanas, they might break Levi on the stage to Monte Petrano (stage 16). That is where Basso can win it.
Podium:
1. Basso
2. Menchov
3. Leipheimer

Top 10 favorites: Lovkvist, Soler, Simoni, Di Luca, Cunego, Sastre, Valjavec, Cobo, Pellizotti

TRENDING THREADS