• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: TdF Stage 10, Limoges - Issoudun 194.5 km

May 6, 2009
Visit site
gr177002copy_600.jpg

I think every French team will have a man in the break today, but I think it will be a sprint finish, providing they haven't forgotten about anybody up the road.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see if the eventual escape group is so big that Cavendish and Thor will have nothing to fight about in the sprints, unless one or both are actually in the escape group.

Bruyneel said last night that he expected complete madness during the first hour, but that he also didn't think a French escapee would win.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The profile looks like a stock market graph....I imagine a break away will be successfull and a french rider will win, all the faves will stay in the pac and we will have to entertain each other on the forum....Gawd, I hope I am wrong....:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
AG2R and Astana are only going to work hard if there's someone in the break that threatens GC, otherwise Columbia are going to have a hard time controlling the breaks. Maybe Quick Step could help out, given that Boonen's done sod all this Tour so far apart from fall off.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
Looks like a tough stage really. Well for mere mortals it would be tough. I hate those up-down-up-down-up-down rides more than big mountains.

I think a break might do it today.

All Cat 4s today...not too difficult unless you count the uncat climbs...cat 5s and 6s. I always like these type of rides above straight flat roads, but not more than the big mountains...climb for the descent.

I think a break can stay away today...another French victory on Bastille Day. Oh, and a serious crash sometime in the stage.

I suspect a break might stay away today, due to the combination of an undulating course, high motivation on Bastille Day, no radios and the lack of teams willing to chase other than Columbia.

Sylvain Chavanel (20-1) is the most obvious candidate. There doesn't seem to have been much movement in the betting markets for anyone but some money around for Serguei Ivanov at around 60-1.

I'm on Jerome Pineau at 70-1. He got into a Bastille Day breakaway two years ago. Maybe he goes again.

Really a lottery though ....

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Radios versus safety issues

I think, as no doubt many others, who either raced or followed racing in the days of no radios, no helmets and one rest day in a three week tour, that the no radios thing is being hyped up beyond belief. The DS's are wetting them selves cause they can't control the race via the televisions in the cars, this crap about safety issues, is so bogus... that's why there were race bibles, not to mention the hundreds of police that control crowds and poiunt out potential hazrds to the riders. The Limoges stage looks lumpy but most likely will have virtually every French rider in it, July 14th.. everyone else will be on cruise anyways. The organisers knew it would be a benign stage, so virtually no chance for a change to overall.
Imagine say a stage like the Tourmalet without the DS's being able to know what was going on,well, if you step back ten years, it would be normal.
Personally, I'd like to see both radios gone and televisions in cars gone, so the riders can get back some spontaneity and liveliness to racing, I just fall asleep now.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
SITUATION

Thierry Hupond (Skil-Shimano), Mikhail Ignatiev (Katusha), Benoit Vaurengard (FdJ) and Samuel Dumoulin (Cofidis)

Peloton at 3:40

Live Rider Stats - Updated: 13:11 CEST

* Johannes Froehlinger - Milram
o Distance: 0km, Speed: 0km/h, Power: -1watts, Cadence: -1rpm
* Bert Grabsch - Columbia-HTC
* Brian Vandborg - Liquigas
* Chris Sorensen - Saxo Bank
* Nicki Sorensen - Saxo Bank

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
SITUATION

Thierry Hupond (Skil-Shimano), Mikhail Ignatiev (Katusha), Benoit Vaurengard (FdJ) and Samuel Dumoulin (Cofidis)

Peloton at 3:40

man, only two french teams in the first real break attempt (?) and they let them go.

what a rip-off

ak-zaaf said:
man, only two french teams in the first real break attempt (?) and they let them go.

what a rip-off

Agree ... what a soft start to the stage. I thought there would be stacks of teams preventing early breaks if they weren't represented but instead the first real attempt makes it away with only four in it. Disappointing.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty sure the whole peloton is going to slowly pedal the course and finish as a group, given how dangerous it'll be without radios. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS