• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: TdF Stage 10, Limoges - Issoudun 194.5 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe they let the cars drive up through the peloton.. I say put the DS on motorbikes (and let them have their tvs back but only as long as its at least 60cm screen).

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Like it or not . . . no radios . . . no racing .

Another example of the UCI trying to get the genie back in the bottle. If they didn't want radios, they should have nipped it in the bud with Motorolla.

It's too bad the chose Bastille day for a "test", when they knew this was a possible outcome.

Time for a nap.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
So what was the point of the "compromise" if they were going to protest anyway? This is so ridiculous.

Anyone notice that there have been 2 grand tours with Lance this year and 2 rider protests? I blame captain america

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
sometriguy said:
So what was the point of the "compromise" if they were going to protest anyway? This is so ridiculous.

Anyone notice that there have been 2 grand tours with Lance this year and 2 rider protests? I blame captain america

I have a cold. I also blame captain america. One man doesn't make a "rider protest".

PS. i don't even like LA. jus't saying...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I have a cold. I also blame captain america. One man doesn't make a "rider protest".

PS. i don't even like LA. jus't saying...
I'm completely joking about it being 100 percent Lance's fault, but I do believe he was unhappy with the situation. I think astana is the most powerful team and Johan Bruneeyl lead the protest from the teams. I don't think it is a stretch to imagine that Johan stuck it out there because lance was complaining.

So, no, 1 rider does not cause the entire protest, but a few of the more powerful riders to lead to it happening. And lance is probably 1 of about 12 people we can blame for this. I'm sure Jens Voigt also is to blame, which makes me very upset, since I love ol voigt

A

Anonymous

i was unsure about the racing thing, i do think cars zipping in and out of the pelaton is dangerous and i remember many crashes years ago involving support vehicles, then again tactically they obviously effect the race because team orders are constantly going through telling when to attack etc...

(i wonder if without radios some riders are so clueless they wouldnt actually know when to attack)..

but, they are proffesional sportman, and sometime we have to trust there judgement.. if they dont think its safe, sometimes we just have to accept it..

i dunno...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
YAY. 17K till they hit 40! I sense there's action in the pipeline... like, erm a chase to catch the break away and set up a bunch sprint...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
i was unsure about the racing thing, i do think cars zipping in and out of the pelaton is dangerous and i remember many crashes years ago involving support vehicles, then again tactically they obviously effect the race because team orders are constantly going through telling when to attack etc...

Isn't that why they had road captains, who also made calls, ordered people around, and tell them what to do. He's the extension of the DS in the peloton. What are they supposed to do nowadays? If you really need info from your DS, you do as LL did, he moves to the back of the peloton and discusses it. Then he rides back up the peloton and informs his team...

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
sometriguy said:

If the parties reached a compromise, isn't it bad faith from the riders to still protest?:confused:

A

Anonymous

well this is dull..

its giving me time to try and find a pub near paddington showing the time trial next thursday before we travel to paris..

yeay.. found somewhere :D

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Frank71 said:
If the parties reached a compromise, isn't it bad faith from the riders to still protest?:confused:
It is kind of weird. I respect these guys so much for the effor they put out over the 3 weeks. I did a 6 hour ride on Saturday and there is no way in hell I could have gone and done it again the next day and believe me my effort was much lower than theirs.

But i don't understand how some of these primadonas can justify pushing the pace down a mountain cliff to drop somebody, but they can't have their precious radios taken away from them.

Then you add in the doping and they have lost a lot of the resepct I have for them. Fortunately, the soap opera aspect of cycling is still very entertaining!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
well this is dull..

its giving me time to try and find a pub near paddington showing the time trial next thursday before we travel to paris..

yeay.. found somewhere :D

Paddington, haha, it's the UK, London. You've got pubs on every corner. I think they even have a pub in Paddington Station... The UK is great :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I have to confess that the passing of the 40 km mark was yet another disappointment. :(

It seems that the jury radio channel has been pretending all along that a normal day's racing is going on. :rolleyes: