• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: TdF Stage 10, Limoges - Issoudun 194.5 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mellow Velo said:
Levi, Wiggins, Karpets and Menchov all lost 15 seconds.
I expect someone will be around to blame Contador.:rolleyes:

I just got the news in a tweet from Leipheimer. Contador attacked a defenseless Levi, which was not in the team's plan for the stage. Leipheimer is now angry. You don't want to get him angry. Leipheimer played the dutiful teammate the whole time and refused to chase down Contador. The Spaniard has no honor.

jaylew said:
Menchov missed a split in the peloton? Shocking!!

Some idiot crashed in last 2km, to be honest but split was between cav and Thor if you ask me and Duque and Farrar, and they all have same time, but Levi, Menchov... have 15 sec on Cav how come????? I wonder why AC have same time as CAv, he was sprinting along side him??? And what about 3km to go everybody have same time, this is idiotic, I bet that between Cav and Armstrong was at least 10 seconds!!! This stage was JOKE!!!!!!!!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Some idiot crashed in last 2km, to be honest but split was between cav and Thor if you ask me and Duque and Farrar, and they all have same time, but Levi, Menchov... have 15 sec on Cav how come????? I wonder why AC have same time as CAv, he was sprinting along side him??? And what about 3km to go everybody have same time, this is idiotic, I bet that between Cav and Armstrong was at least 10 seconds!!! This stage was JOKE!!!!!!!!

Yes, this makes no sense to me. Some reports have Boonen 15-20 riders back with around 1 KM to go, but he ends up finishing 94th @ 15 seconds down (according to VeloNews)? I don't understand this at all...

A

Anonymous

it was in the last 3k, but interesting comments from emma pooley on eurosport.. when she has challenged it she has lost as if you are not involved in the accident and just slowed down by it it doesnt count..

cant see that happening.. i expect the 15 seconds to be turned over or there will be more protests tommoro

the gap wasn't because of a crash though..

it was because some lazy *** peleton riders allowed a 1 sec gap to form...

the only crash in the last 3km didn't affect anything. it was a single rider crash and over to the side

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Saxo Banks roadcaptain Arvesen is out the Tour. Sad. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saxo-banks-arvesen-out-of-the-tour-de-france

Kinda ironic that this photo was taken this morning:
Arvesen_737350p.jpg

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Pharazon said:
the gap wasn't because of a crash though..

it was because some lazy *** peleton riders allowed a 1 sec gap to form...

the only crash in the last 3km didn't affect anything. it was a single rider crash and over to the side

it's a Lampre guy that caused the gap at the finish line.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
mambo#5 said:

Simon Spilak looks to be the culprit...

# 45. Yaroslav Popovych Astana at s.t.
# 46. Lance Armstrong Astana at s.t.
# 47. Luis-leon Sanchez Caisse D’epargne at s.t.
# 48. Carlos Sastre Cervelo Test Team at s.t.
# 49. Anthony Geslin Francaise Des Jeux at s.t.
# 50. Da Costa Rui Alberto Faria Caisse D’epargne at s.t.
# 51. Koen De Kort Skil-Shimano at s.t.
# 52. Mickaël Delage Silence - Lotto at s.t.
# 53. Simon Spilak Lampre - N.g.c in 4:46:58 at 00:15
# 54. Styn Vandenbergh Team Katusha in 4:46:58 at 00:15
# 55. Stéphane Auge Cofidis Le Credit En Ligne in 4:46:58 at 00:15
# 56. Julian Dean Garmin - Slipstream in 4:46:58 at 00:15
# 57. Alexandre Pichot Bbox Bouygues Telecom in 4:46:58 at 00:15
# 58. Fabian Cancellara Team Saxo Bank in 4:46:58 at 00:15

mambo#5 said:
I don't see how they can penalize those guys 15 seconds.

those are the rules though. if there's more than 1 second gap between the finising times it's not considered in the same 'peleton'...

i think it's a bit off to be honest, but those are the rules. personally, i'd like them to have a look and see if the peloton was split, and you can see it wasn't. but then again, you don't see Contator or Armstong hanging at the back of the peloton, and that's for a reason

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Although the gap in that photo doesn't look very large and certainly not 15 seconds, but wouldn't they take the time from Cav crossing the line which we don't see in the photo.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
mambo#5 said:
I don't see how they can penalize those guys 15 seconds.

Especially when the whole concept of "giving the same time" is based on rider safety. So, essentially with this ruling, they would be encouraging a guy like Levi Leipheimer or Bradley Wiggins to sprint to the front of the bunch to try and close the gap and save time in their GC classification. That's ridiculous.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This reminds me: 3 years ago CSC tried to form a "wall" by stopping in front of everyone just before the line, not letting the GC contenders pass so they would lose time to Sastre who had already crossed the line near the front of the peloton.

The gap was annulled and they got a reprimand and a fine.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:
Although the gap in that photo doesn't look very large and certainly not 15 seconds, but wouldn't they take the time from Cav crossing the line which we don't see in the photo.

Yes. That's why it's 15 seconds.

Hopefully they'll overturn this particular case, as even though it's in accordance with the letter of the law, it's against the spirit of it.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Pharazon said:
those are the rules though. if there's more than 1 second gap between the finising times it's not considered in the same 'peleton'...

i think it's a bit off to be honest, but those are the rules. personally, i'd like them to have a look and see if the peloton was split, and you can see it wasn't. but then again, you don't see Contator or Armstong hanging at the back of the peloton, and that's for a reason

but what can you do on a course like today that has so many turns at the end of the stage?

May 19, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:

that's the time in the pic showing 14 seconds. By the time the lampre guy's transponder crosses the line, it goes to 15.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The gap looks very small for a 'split peloton'. Maybe it's the perspective.

Anyway, they were soft pedaling the whole day and inattentive at the finish. 15" is not a big deal.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
S2STURGES - Couldn't agree more, yawn!! Remote controlled automatons with very little personality - where's charisma now? Oh yes, disappeared, along with Pantani (RIP), Virenque, Cipollini, Commesso, Durand, et al. Vive Le Tour and thank the Lord for Cav!!

Cobblestones said:
The gap looks very small for a 'split peloton'. Maybe it's the perspective.

Anyway, they were soft pedaling the whole day and inattentive at the finish. 15" is not a big deal.

Well it does to Levi and Bradley, I saw at least 3 similar line crossing before this one and they were not penelized, just before Armstrong was the last one, and first was between Farrar and Duque.

TRENDING THREADS