• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread - TdF Stage 11 Vatan - Saint-Fargeau (192 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
As Yet, we have:
Boonan- No form
Freire- No form
Ciolek- No form
Haussler- No form
Van Avermaet- No form
Bennati- No form
The French- No sprinter

'The Paris Procession' continues, in all competitions.

+1.... I am a little surprised by Boonen. He hasn't even made it to the front half of the peloton yet..... :(

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The only surprising thing about the day was the sprint for the 1 KOM point at the top of the final cat 4 climb. And..Not just what happened to Boonen, where have Bennati and Haussler gone? :confused:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
The only surprising thing about the day was the sprint for the 1 KOM point at the top of the final cat 4 climb. And..Not just what happened to Boonen, where have Bennati and Haussler gone? :confused:

Boonen is mentally out of it after everything that happened before the tour. Haussler is worling 100% for his teammate Hushovd. But he's not doing a good job. I'm guessing Haussler will leave Cervelo soon and find a team without a 1st class sprinter.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
What a sprint!

The Stage 11 finish featured one of the best finishes I've seen all year. All the teams battled for control of the front from about 10K out though Columbia fought like dogs for the bone. I was truly amazed to see Cav, Thor, and Tyler fight it out like they did. Terrific finish.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Tusher said:
Hate to say it, guys, but Cavendish can manage with or without a train.

He's super strong for sure. Watch the replay from today though. Garmin was super close. Dean was motoring and Hincapie pulled off in front of him. Had he continued with his momentum, he might have launched Farrar into the win. Farrar certainly put on a good fight. And congrats to Garmin. Farrar only has one guy working for him and to get that close is a really good result.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
i thought hushovd was meant to be better on teh uphill finish.. ;)

my my reckoning thats green back on his shoulders..

anyone know where boonen is.. :D

Hushovd said that he was surprised by the final slope. He thought it would be 2-3% so he went in using a wrong gear ratio. He should've read this thread I suppose.

Zabel does the homework for Columbia. Who does it for Cervelo?

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Today, Farrar has imo earned a one time leadout train formed by Wiggins, Millar and Dean. If he has to do the same - little to none - work as Cavendish in the last kilometre, and gets launched with the same starting speed as Cav, I bet he could give him a real good run for his money, even beat him maybe. But now, with only Dean in his service, Farrar will never be able to beat Cav and his Columbia train. If Millar and Wiggins are pulling him to the front with their devastating pace, though, it's a whole different story.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Today, Farrar has imo earned a one time leadout train formed by Wiggins, Millar and Dean. If he has to do the same - little to none - work as Cavendish in the last kilometre, and gets launched with the same starting speed as Cav, I bet he could give him a real good run for his money, even beat him maybe. But now, with only Dean in his service, Farrar will never be able to beat Cav and his Columbia train. If Millar and Wiggins are pulling him to the front with their devastating pace, though, it's a whole different story.
I don't know. Second stage he couldn't even hold Cav's wheel. He looked relatively better today because of the slope. Won't happen again this TdF.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Chav:p is just to far ahead of the other sprinters right now, whats happened Quickstep...no train for Boonen.....no GC contended. Thought Cancellara would of had a go yesterday or today in the finale. Bring on the Alps for some action (I hope).:eek:

A

Anonymous

Pharazon said:
gotta suck for Allan Davis huh?

i think boonen is out of order to be honest...

he must have known prior to the tour that either his head wasnt in the game, or he wasnt fully fit or on form.. he should have had the good grace to let davis keep his place..

I was a fan of toms, but his performances may not have put me off, but he must have known he was not at 100% and alan davis had trained, built up and was ready for the tour.. in reptrospect it was a damn awful mistake by QS

A

Anonymous

Pharazon said:
i just don't get why the other teams allow the Columbia train to even set up..

Milram made a good effort of distupting the train, but if they just set up their own train from the start they might stand a chance, but once that Columbia train is set, it becomes very difficult to break into it..

they have to find a way to make Cavendish follow someone elses train, then we'll see if he's really got it this tour. his 4 wins have all been routine for him.

i disagree.. i think he has worked bloody hard for them, and i think his team have... i dont think any one of those four wins came easy and if you think they do you do the competition a tremendous disservice and discredit..

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Hushovd said that he was surprised by the final slope. He thought it would be 2-3% so he went in using a wrong gear ratio. He should've read this thread I suppose.

Noone. Poppel said they talked to the guy in charge of the course at ASO before the race. Ridiculous. Spending millions of dollars trying to win and they can't get a guy to have a look at the final kilometer? Columbia has a whole team (including Zabel) mapping out the finish for Renshaw and Cavendish.

dimspace said:
i disagree.. i think he has worked bloody hard for them, and i think his team have... i dont think any one of those four wins came easy and if you think they do you do the competition a tremendous disservice and discredit..

i don't mean routine as in easy, i mean routine as in it's all worked out exactly how Columbia HTC wanted it to. their train has worked perfectly all 4 times. they haven't had to really adapt or fight for position too much ; cavendish hasn't had to hop to another train.. it's all been set up perfectly for him to do what he does best.

A

Anonymous

Pharazon said:
i don't mean routine as in easy, i mean routine as in it's all worked out exactly how Columbia HTC wanted it to. their train has worked perfectly all 4 times. they haven't had to really adapt or fight for position too much ; cavendish hasn't had to hop to another train.. it's all been set up perfectly for him to do what he does best.

they remind me of ross braun and schumaker at ferrari.. not a single detail is missed, not a single situation not considered.. ultimate pro's... the other teams should be looking and learning.. but i dont think they are..

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Versus did an interview with Julian Dean after the race and he described in detail some of the goings-on at the front during the final few hundred meters. and how Columbia's overall tactics helped Cav today as much as he helped himself. Certainly nothing new for anyone here who has ever been part of a finishing sprint, but clearly supported your statement above that it's not just an issue where other teams "let" Columbia/Cav have their way and a clear path the the line.

Per Mick Rogers Twitter feed: "Wow, last 5km was warp speed speed. We dropped Mr Cavendish off for the sprint perfect to take the stage win."

At least for today, Tyler was every bit the equal of Cavendish. His team just got out-muscled at the end.

Cobblestones said:

It was quite clear in the road book that the gradient over the last 500m was about 6%, or at least I assume it was because it is on the last 5km profile on the tdf website.
Thor should have been able to read that for himself.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
andrew_s said:
It was quite clear in the road book that the gradient over the last 500m was about 6%, or at least I assume it was because it is on the last 5km profile on the tdf website.
Thor should have been able to read that for himself.

Oh, I definitely agree.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Oh, I definitely agree.

I don't really understand which pic you guys are using, because the one on the TdF site (see below) shows a quite shallow rise. I saw before that some were under the impression - and when I watched the rerun on Versus the commentators as well - that the finish was really steep.

PROFILKMSVIGNETTE.gif

as far as I can tell from this particular picture is a low of 167 meters at the 1k point, gradually rising to 199 meters at the finish. 199-167=32m/1000=3.2%...

Are you using a different one?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I don't really understand which pic you guys are using, because the one on the TdF site (see below) shows a quite shallow rise. I saw before that some were under the impression - and when I watched the rerun on Versus the commentators as well - that the finish was really steep.

PROFILKMSVIGNETTE.gif

as far as I can tell from this particular picture is a low of 167 meters at the 1k point, gradually rising to 199 meters at the finish. 199-167=32m/1000=3.2%...

Are you using a different one?

No, I'm using the 500m point.

Then it's a rise from 169 to 199m over 500m, so 30/500=6% :D

TRENDING THREADS