• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread TdF Stage 18 Annency-Annency 40.5 km ITT

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
CARTEVIGNETTE.gif

They're already under way, though no one has finished yet. So many interesting questions to be resolved later -

- how much time will the Brothers lose?
- how much can the old man pick up?
- will Cancellara win?
- can Wiggins claw back the time he lost?
- can Tony Martin redeem his Tour with a top finish?

...and many more. I'm looking forward to this big time.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
This should really favor the pure TTists. The hill is 3.7K with 6% gradient so that shouldn't give anything away for the climbers since the TTists can power over that with ease.

I bet Cancellara for the win since the route suits him very well and he didn't have to overdo himself yesterday. Armstrong's TT skills are still quite a mystery but I expect him to finish well to. Contador should do as well or better than LA.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Just as some kind of guide - top time of the first 10 riders home is 00:50:45 by Nicky Terpstra.

Since TT is not so "long" I think we can expect smaller time gaps than if it were a normal 50K+ TT. Maybe under two minutes between A.Schleck and Armstrong/Contador.

RdBiker said:
This should really favor the pure TTists. The hill is 3.7K with 6% gradient so that shouldn't give anything away for the climbers since the TTists can power over that with ease.

I bet Cancellara for the win since the route suits him very well and he didn't have to overdo himself yesterday. Armstrong's TT skills are still quite a mystery but I expect him to finish well to. Contador should do as well or better than LA.

Do not underestimate that climb. F ex Ignatiev made 1 minute advantage against Bert Grabsch on those 3,5 K after Grabsch had almost matched him up to there. Terpstra was even faster on the climb but is losing on flats.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara would obviously be the bet.

I wonder after yesterdays saunter through the mountains could Evans produce a big one - although would that look a bit pathetic for want of a better word?

Wiggins will be interesting - alot of expectation and pressure built up on him for this TT since the weekend. Hopefully will do well.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
They're already under way, though no one has finished yet. So many interesting questions to be resolved later -

- how much time will the Brothers lose?

What's Nibali like at the ITT? Could he claw back time on Schleck jnr?

TrudyTas said:
What's Nibali like at the ITT? Could he claw back time on Schleck jnr?

Nibali has Top 10s in TTs in both Giro & Tour + podiums in smaller stage races. He is at his best in around 20 K distances, but he does not only CAN, but SHOULD take time on A.Schleck and major time on Fränk.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
my gc top 5 at the end of today:

Contador
Wiggins
Armstrong
Kloden
Schlecklet

with max 10 seconds between Wiggins and Armstrong and a similar margin between Kloden and Schleck

Spartacus to win the stage but not by much, that's a pretty big lump that they have to get over!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
LinkAge said:
CANCELLARA is out, now we'll see how good of a time IGNATIEV did.
Rogers lost 1:23 to igantiev, I didn't see that coming .

Rogers has lost whole worlds of time this tour, so he would be conserving energy for tomorrow to get Cavendish over the line. Especially considering he has lost ITT form in recent years anyway.

I picked up 6 non-overall-contenders to be good today :

David Millar
Jose Ivan Gutierrez
Tony Martin
Stef Clement
Mikhail Ignatiev
Koen de Kort

So far, one good pick, one ok, one not featuring....

I expect relatively disappointing results from cance, Zab & Larsson... Soon we see...

TRENDING THREADS