• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: TdF Stage 8, Andorre-La-Vieille to Saint-Girons

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cadel evans' team mate matty lloyd said that they are going to try to get the time back through the the pyrenees. I think that means today's stage Cadel is going to attack from a long way out. He has to go all out i think and ride with some balls to get theis time back. This will be a real show of his character.

Carlos Sastre needs to do something as well because he is only 10 seconds ahead of Cadel. He needs to make some moves/ attacks as well if he wants to defend his title.

auscyclefan94 said:
Cadel evans' team mate matty lloyd said that they are going to try to get the time back through the the pyrenees. I think that means today's stage Cadel is going to attack from a long way out. He has to go all out i think and ride with some balls to get theis time back. This will be a real show of his character.

Carlos Sastre needs to do something as well because he is only 10 seconds ahead of Cadel. He needs to make some moves/ attacks as well if he wants to defend his title.

I don't know. This stage and the next look like pretty useless stages because of the long run-ins to the finish. Typically on these stages it is only a contender who has a bad day who ends up losing time.

It would be cool if we could get some real racing starting more than 2 km from the line. :)

Those guys need to attack from the first climb, but, even so, they can't topple AC in his current condition, who is the strongest in the race as he demonstrated yesterday.

In fact Evans and Sastre will have to contend themselves with third place at best now, unless AC and Armstrong crumble. It would take a super champion to break them and neither fit the profile. Plus Astana is the strongest team. I don't see them gaining much time.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Those guys need to attack from the first climb, but, even so, they can't topple AC in his current condition, who is the strongest in the race as he demonstrated yesterday.

In fact Evans and Sastre will have to contend themselves with third place at best now, unless AC and Armstrong crumble. It would take a super champion to break them and neither fit the profile. Plus Astana is the strongest team. I don't see them gaining much time.

It's hopeless. Popo and Zubeldia can drag them over the climbs, and Kloden+LL can time trial them to the finish. AC wouldn't even break a sweat and whichever team goes on a mission tomorrow would be hammered on Sunday.

It would be nice to think someone will attack from a long way out but I doubt it will happen and if it does it is doomed to fail.

It's not just the fact that Astana is so strong but also the organisers' choice of route.

Tour de France formula:

One disproportionately strong team
+ an early team time trial
+ a lack of mountaintop finishes
= Boring racing.

Armstrong and Contador can just mark the others' moves, knowing they already lead them and will likely take more time in the final time trial. Just by doing that the race will basically be over even before the base of Mt Ventoux - at least, it will be over for the others ... Contador v Armstrong might be interesting.

I think a breakaway has another great chance today. Surely this is the stage for David Moncoutie to go for a win and the polka dot jersey? He tried to get in the break yesterday but missed out. I see him going early.

An Euskaltel rider or two will also try. Igor Anton the best candidate I think.

I'm on Moncoutie at 17-1 and Igor Anton at 40-1.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Who gets in the break?

Columbia will send someone - Hincapie or Rogers or both. Hincapie tried yesterday.
Caisse - Arroyo, Sanchez
Quick-Step - Chavanel, Devolder? - I think Devolder will definately be there. He tried yesterday
Cervelo - Jose Angel Gomez Marchante?
Bbox - Lefevre? Rolland?
FDJ - Roy? Geslin? Le Mevel?
Saxo - Voigt?
Euskatel - Oroz? Perez
Ag2r - They ahve the yellow jersey but I see them sending Arietta
Rabobank - Freire? Flecha? Freire tried yesterday.
Garmin - Pate? Hesjedal?
Agritubel - Vogondy? Moreau?
Liquigas - Willems?
Milram - Wrolich? Wegmann
Lampre - Ballan? Spilak?
Skil Shimano - Hupond? Hivert? They tried to send Geschke yesterday. Maybe Lemoine?
Cofidis -Moinard? Moncoutie?

I think most teams will be represented today. Similar to that big break that got away in last year's Tour when that Barloworld rider crashed on the descent? Forget his name. It will come back to me.

Moncoutie, Rolland, Moreau, A Columbia rider, Oroz or Perez for Euskatel, Voigt, Devolder, will all be there definately. But who?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I don't know. This stage and the next look like pretty useless stages because of the long run-ins to the finish. Typically on these stages it is only a contender who has a bad day who ends up losing time.

It would be cool if we could get some real racing starting more than 2 km from the line. :)

I sort of thought along those lines initially, but I think that the other GC teams have to attack today and tomorrow.

If they want to be there at the end, IMO, it would pay lotto, saxo, and cervelo, to put aside the personal GC aspirations for the next two days and work together to get their GC riders back into the top spots of this race, currently they are letting Astana dictate the pace and they need to do all they can to disrupt that.

Yeah, before you all flame me, I know snowballs chance in hell of it happening, but its a nice thought.:eek:

msjett said:
I sort of thought along those lines initially, but I think that the other GC teams have to attack today and tomorrow.

If they want to be there at the end, IMO, it would pay lotto, saxo, and cervelo, to put aside the personal GC aspirations for the next two days and work together to get their GC riders back into the top spots of this race, currently they are letting Astana dictate the pace and they need to do all they can to disrupt that.

Yeah, before you all flame me, I know snowballs chance in hell of it happening, but its a nice thought.:eek:

SL and Cervelo should definitely be talking to each other. Their only hope is to blow the race up and hope that one of the Astana's has a bad day, bonks, dehydrates, or whatever. Astana will be content to ride tempo the whole stage.

Since I cannot recall seeing this sort of thing happening in the last ten years, we will probably be in for a boring stage.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
The Barloworld rider was John Lee Augustyn.

I can see a breakaway going today too. I think Moncoutie, Casar, Voigt, Anton, Rolland, Arroyo and Trofimov are great chances to be there. At 66-1 Trofimov is the best bet as I believe he has a better finish than the likes of Casar, Anton, Rolland and Arroyo. I also think he is a better descender than most of the others which will be key.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
SL and Cervelo should definitely be talking to each other. Their only hope is to blow the race up and hope that one of the Astana's has be bad day, bonks, dehydrates, or whatever. Astana will be content to ride tempo the whole stage.

Since I cannot recall seeing this sort of thing happening in the last ten years, we will probably be in for a boring stage.

Agreed, brodeal, on both comments.

I can only hope that someone has the balls and the brains to put something together...;)

Polka Dot Punter said:
The Barloworld rider was John Lee Augustyn.

I can see a breakaway going today too. I think Moncoutie, Casar, Voigt, Anton, Rolland, Arroyo and Trofimov are great chances to be there. At 66-1 Trofimov is the best bet as I believe he has a better finish than the likes of Casar, Anton, Rolland and Arroyo. I also think he is a better descender than most of the others which will be key.

I like the way you think on Trofimov ... a top mountain biker as a junior and won a stage of the Dauphine descending to the finish after an HC climb - see link below:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/jun08/dauphinelibere08/?id=stages/dauphinelibere085

Totally agree 66-1 is over the odds.

It's breakaway weekend, so no worries about Astana having to work for a fortnight. Ag2r have picked up this suddenly dubbed, poisoned chalice.

Rubbish parcours, designed to pay tribute to the Pyreneean monuments, with having the slightest effect on the GC.
Unless, someone is coming down with a mysterious ailment, that it.

Worse yet. French tv have chosen these pair of turkeys, to have whole live stage coverage.

The wearing down process is well and truly underway, for both the peloton and the fans, caught up behind the fanboy train of thought. (maybe thought is a bit too complimentary)

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
It's breakaway weekend, so no worries about Astana having to work for a fortnight. Ag2r have picked up this suddenly dubbed, poisoned chalice.

Rubbish parcours, designed to pay tribute to the Pyreneean monuments, with having the slightest effect on the GC.
Unless, someone is coming down with a mysterious ailment, that it.

Worse yet. French tv have chosen these pair of turkeys, to have whole live stage coverage.

The wearing down process is well and truly underway, for both the peloton and the fans, caught up behind the fanboy train of thought. (maybe thought is a bit too complimentary)

Agree. Today will be a lot bigger than everyone thinks. To be honest in my mind today is the biggest stage of the Tour.

AG2R cannot defend the yellow. Therefore Astana have to protect Armstrong and Contador. Expect to see the break gaining 30 minutes with 70km to go. Now who's going to chase that ? on a decent ? no chance of brining it back.... now if you throw a potential top 10, top 20 guy into that its going to open the race right up. Today is concentration day. Big concentration. Every rider in the top 40 has to be watched.

Mark my words. Fireworks.

tour09profile08.gif

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Stijn Devolder - I'm feeling something big about him tonight. Monfort and Hincapie too.

Devolder can descend well......

Same with Trofimov

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
WBT...Hope you are right about the fireworks. Otherwise I am facing a sleep deficit to be bored to near death.

It will be a long night for you. Stick with it thou. It will unfold slowly. We've already seen the teams looking at each other and shrugging their shoulders and saying "not my responsibility".

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
After the Giro's parcours, le Tour's course looked very dull in comparison with the exception of the TTT, the few uphill finishes, and, of course, the LE MONSTRE! of Stage 20. But thankfully, the riders have made a show of it anyway, and the race has been the most exciting in years, I think. So, yes, today's useless mountains, some forty kms from the finish--really, what's the point, why waste the mountains?--suggest a boring day, but there are too many riders with serious time deficits to allow any opportunity to go by without a response. Even if Sastre or Cadel or the Schlecks don't do anything, I think we can look for a David Millar-like effort from someone (where is Mr. DeVolder anyway or Ballan or Zabriske?) to enliven the race. If nothing else, a brave French lad will be off the front. The race has been excellent so far, so I'll trust it to continue.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:

It will be hard for those teams' leaders to get away but if they work together then they could catch AStana off guard. The other teams have to be ambitious if they want to win. they also have to work together.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It will be hard for those teams' leaders to get away but if they work together then they could catch AStana off guard. The other teams have to be ambitious if they want to win. they also have to work together.

Absolutely, and obviously there is no way they are going to let Evans, Sastre and baby shclek in a breakaway, They are marked men, and right now astana have them where they want them....behind in time.

And I have to add, that it really is a bit of boring race when Evans (who many label as a boring wheelsucker) is the one to add a bit of spice to a stage. lol :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
Absolutely, and obviously there is no way they are going to let Evans, Sastre and baby shclek in a breakaway, They are marked men, and right now astana have them where they want them....behind in time.

And I have to add, that it really is a bit of boring race when Evans (who many label as a boring wheelsucker) is the one to add a bit of spice to a stage. lol :p

They didn't say any of the other gc boys were wheel sucking when they were. Double standards. Hope Cadel rides with a lot of agression and panache + kicks their arses tonight. GO CADEL! They don't have to go in a breakaway to get time back. Their needs to be collabration with the gc teams to all sttack Astana from the bottom of the Col d'Agnes. It is possible but a long shot!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
They didn't say any of the other gc boys were wheel sucking when they were. Double standards. Hope Cadel rides with a lot of agression and panache + kicks their arses tonight. GO CADEL

Actually Armstrong admitted to wheelsucking...but he didn't call it that, he called it "following wheel"...lol

I am hoping for some opportunities for Cadel...bless him....he needs some good luck to happen to him....oops, bit fanboy/girl that, ah well. Go Cadel!;)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Stupid TTT......oh well maybe next year it will be removed.

Cadel sould throw in a couple of fake attacks on the first climb, then put in a big attack on the second. But it would be good to see Evans have a go, then Andy, then Carlos. Astana will use some petrol covering all the attacks.