• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
?XD Nothing is fair about that, hes just trolling and baiting as usual and its a damn wonder why he's still allowed to post on this forum. If this was said about Contador back in the day, he'd be gone.

Anyways, when the race was ridden this incredibly hard, its not surprising that he ran out of gas. He needed a bit more of a tactical race, but he can only thank his useless team which also waited 10 km to send Nathan down. Not that it would have changed a lot as he still would have dropped, but he would've gotten contact on Kwaremont easily and saved energy - probably for a 3rd.

Hes not at 100% obviously, hes close, but its not good enough against absolute peak Mathieu and Poga. Roubaix should be better.
But why isn't he at 100%? Why don't you just see that he doesn't have the same level MVP and Pogi has? Roubaix is another story but in Flanders he can't beat them.

Because he was better last year and his preparation hasn't been optimal. Do you know what 100% means? I think riders rarely hit their absolute peak and there can be lots of different reasons for that, but I have seen better versions than this.
He wasn't in Flanders last year, WTH are you talking about? You are comparing different seasons when he didn't ride last year. We should wait for Roubaix to say something about his shape.

He was the favorite going in to Flanders based on what he did in that spring. I don't know why I need to specify that, I think it was obvious.

If you think this is the absolute best version of Wout then go ahead. I don't
He was the favourite because MVP came from injury and we didn't know how he would be in classics. Pogi was an unknown wildcard before flanders. He wasn't the favourite because he is the best. He was the favourite because of the uncertainty involving Pogi and MVP

?XD Nothing is fair about that, hes just trolling and baiting as usual and its a damn wonder why he's still allowed to post on this forum. If this was said about Contador back in the day, he'd be gone.

Anyways, when the race was ridden this incredibly hard, its not surprising that he ran out of gas. He needed a bit more of a tactical race, but he can only thank his useless team which also waited 10 km to send Nathan down. Not that it would have changed a lot as he still would have dropped, but he would've gotten contact on Kwaremont easily and saved energy - probably for a 3rd.

Hes not at 100% obviously, hes close, but its not good enough against absolute peak Mathieu and Poga. Roubaix should be better.
He is at 100 %. His problem is how hard Pogi makes the race.

If someone is using some satire in their posts, that's okay with me. And there might be some uncomfortable truth in it. I am a fan of Wout, but his inability to hit his biggest one day targets is notable.

He was the favorite going in to Flanders based on what he did in that spring. I don't know why I need to specify that, I think it was obvious.

If you think this is the absolute best version of Wout then go ahead. I don't
He was no better in E3 last year than Wevelgem this year. He didn't race against Pogi and Van der Poel in the Flemish classics last year, and he has consistently been better than anyone else also this year.

Reactions: Didinho
Mostly he appears to run out of steam on the longer routes that are raced very hard with many accelerations.

Exactly when Pog and Remco catch another gear, WVA droops.

It is telling that the only long monument he has won is the one that basically has two main accelerations (if that).

Mostly he appears to run out of steam on the longer routes that are raced very hard with many accelerations.

Exactly when Pog and Remco catch another gear, WVA droops.

It is telling that the only long monument he has won is the one that basically has two main accelerations.
Roubaix should be interesting, cause it may be somewhat specific to De Ronde.

Against a good Pogacar and Van der Poel, Van Aert just looks very pedestrian. Maybe this is what it is, he's a good allround rider but not exceptional in any category.
I think he suffers from some indecisive tactics and maybe races by the book too much. Pog and Mvdp are much more free thinking in their strategy.
And sometimes having a strong team can backfire.

Belgian Degenkolb is too disrespectful a title even for @Ilmaestro99.
Come on, Degenkolb was really good before that horrible training camp crash.

That said, I do often make fun of Wout, but with his crash I really can't say that much about his performance today/how much that took out of him. Of course the team tactics were questionable as usual, they only send NvH up the road when everyone else send their nr. 2 co-leader on the attack. Maybe people would mark Laporte, but Benoot would have been a significant upgrade. Anyway, Roubaix should suit him more, even if he always seems to suffer a bit on the first harder sectors and the team for that race is potentially insane. Van Baarle back in action and guys like NvH and also Affini are much more dangerous if you send them on the attack on that kind of terrain, compared to the RVV.