• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He looks chubby.

With regards to WvA declining or not: he has the biggest engine in the peloton. Not the best in W/kg (Vingegaard, Pogacar), not the most explosive (MvdP), but the biggest. For the last 5 years, and probably for the next 5 years as well.
A rider like WvA is a once in a decade affair. But we're all spoilt these days with many fantastic riders (like Masnada). Those who downplay WvA at this moment in time don't seem to realize they could simply enjoy watching his incredible power, whatever his results / classic wins.
With great power comes great responsibility.

I still say he needs to be more aggressive. Granted Omloop and KBK aren't monuments, but racing from the front both days paid off well enough. And he could have had a chance to win Omloop if he'd rolled an attack after Jorgensen.

Reactions: Volderke
He looks chubby.

With regards to WvA declining or not: he has the biggest engine in the peloton. Not the best in W/kg (Vingegaard, Pogacar), not the most explosive (MvdP), but the biggest. For the last 5 years, and probably for the next 5 years as well.
A rider like WvA is a once in a decade affair. But we're all spoilt these days with many fantastic riders (like Masnada). Those who downplay WvA at this moment in time don't seem to realize they could simply enjoy watching his incredible power, whatever his results / classic wins.
Hmm, trying to think if anyone comes to mind . . .

• Haha
Reactions: Volderke
He looks chubby.

It's a cold, wet part of the season where he actually could be healthier with some fat stores. Classics don't have the feeding opportunities that a GT has so he pretty much knows what'll work for him now. I do think he'll find Jorgensen as his kind of team player, too. He's not in decline...quite the contrary and is a rarity as you so eloquently point out.
We should also give credit to MvP; his chief motivator. It's been an impressive rivalry between those two.

When they retire they should buy a big family house in Kauai and drink Maitais, surf and snorkel. Almost no ridable roads and nothing to do but appreciate their mutual nature love of nature. Particularly when it rains: it's still 76 degrees F.

He looks chubby.

Ganna, Tarling have bigger engines, FWIW, which as far as entertainment value goes, is not much.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ganna, Tarling have bigger engines, FWIW, which as far as entertainment value goes, is not much.
I haven't seen ANY rider besides WvA put so much pressure on the best peloton there is (TdF) in 4 consecutive years (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
People with eyes see what WvA did there, day after day, and there is absolutely nobody that has done this. Ganna may have a bigger engine (at least for a 1-hr effort), but he simply hasn't pulled off season after season what WvA did.

So no, I don't agree with others having (showed) bigger engines, and I don't agree with the entertainment value. WvA's entertainment value during all these tours was pretty high, so much that he determined the outcome of GC more than once.

I haven't seen ANY rider besides WvA put so much pressure on the best peloton there is (TdF) in 4 consecutive years (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
People with eyes see what WvA did there, day after day, and there is absolutely nobody that has done this. Ganna may have a bigger engine (at least for a 1-hr effort), but he simply hasn't pulled off season after season what WvA did.

So no, I don't agree with others having (showed) bigger engines, and I don't agree with the entertainment value. WvA's entertainment value during all these tours was pretty high, so much that he determined the outcome of GC more than once.
And people with eyebrows felt their foreheads involuntarily shrink.

I just don't think "engine" is the word you're looking for. Recovery? Maybe. Consistency? Maybe. Most dominant gregario of all time? Bingo! He might have the best combine score in the peloton (w^2 / kg). But the more drool you emit over his physical characteristics, the more you have to admit that he's underachieved in terms of the goal of crossing finish lines first.

I just don't think "engine" is the word you're looking for. Recovery? Maybe. Consistency? Maybe. Most dominant gregario of all time? Bingo! He might have the best combine score in the peloton (w^2 / kg). But the more drool you emit over his physical characteristics, the more you have to admit that he's underachieved in terms of the goal of crossing finish lines first.
Agree. He has way more talent than to waste it riding for Vingo.

I can enjoy a rider making the race and not winning it. Even if that rider is a gregario.

He should try to anticipate by attacking racing himself for once. Especially in the minor classics like E3. What do you have to lose? Now it's just reactive riding based on what MvdP does and that breeds mistakes like today and not being in control. I believe he has the physical ability but not the cohones to just try.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Interesting race today. He might just not have it for the big races. Or, given he's won E3 the last 2 years in a row but had already peaked and was off the winning touch for his targets, he might just have needed a race in his legs and his form could get better from here. Time will tell.

Roubaix suits him the best indeed. WVAs power comes from his legs (like a sprinter/TTer). Whilst Mathieu uses the combination of his lower back and legs wich suits a climber more. The best way to spot the difference is the frequency of when they're "en danseuse". You see MVDP's back move from left to right whilst Wout doesn't swivel that much.
A flat race like Roubaix, on the cobbles, definitely his best shot.

Interesting race today. He might just not have it for the big races. Or, given he's won E3 the last 2 years in a row but had already peaked and was off the winning touch for his targets, he might just have needed a race in his legs and his form could get better from here. Time will tell.
It's not like riders who beat Van der Poel at RVV and PR in the past (Asgreen, Colbrelli etc) are a level above Van Aert. Quite the opposite. So "he might not have it for the big races" is simply not true. The problem is that he is always one of the big favorites, so he can never surprise as an outsider (like Asgreen and Colbrelli for instance) and every 2nd tier rider will always look at him to do the work, to react when Van der Poel for instance attacks. But on the other hand, in a 1v1 he manages to lose, either on power/form, or on tactical dumbfuckery.

Basically, he is too good to be able to race as an underdog and get a free pass by lesser riders or some leeway by the other top favorites. But compared to the other top favorites he misses that killer instinct, that extra top end to make the difference, the tactical nous and sometimes that bit of luck..

It's not like riders who beat Van der Poel at RVV and PR in the past (Asgreen, Colbrelli etc) are a level above Van Aert. Quite the opposite. So "he might not have it for the big races" is simply not true. The problem is that he is always one of the big favorites, so he can never surprise as an outsider (like Asgreen and Colbrelli for instance) and every 2nd tier rider will always look at him to do the work, to react when Van der Poel for instance attacks. But on the other hand, in a 1v1 he manages to lose, either on power/form, or on tactical dumbfuckery.

Basically, he is too good to be able to race as an underdog and get a free pass by lesser riders or some leeway by the other top favorites. But compared to the other top favorites he misses that killer instinct, that extra top end to make the difference, the tactical nous and sometimes that bit of luck..
It's not like when Asgreen or Colbrelli won MvdP was at this level

Latest posts