• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O'Grady non-confession-confession confession

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
That chapter was left on the cutting room floor of O'Grady's book. No doubt O'Grady taught young Shleck a thing or two about the Grand Tour recovery regime.

Wiggo is the only cyclist left who comes close to the drug and drinking intake of he Aussies. Last time I saw Wiggo on TV he was clearly off his chops.

Wiggo is the only guy to wear the world championship rings whilst toking on a spliff. Legend.

15hhg5d.jpg

Wiggo: I kind of like the guy, his taste in music and swear words and all, but I can't help feeling he's going to lose the plot when he retires. No more stimulation. Like father like son.

Another chapter in the human book of material success and moral failure.

Hope I'm wrong. At heart, he's really likeable to me.

Stingray34 said:
That's funny, what's the toxic cousin doing these days?

Blackcat makes a good point about Cooke, except his gold has tarnished: the best he could rangle this year was Safeway? The best Lampre rider at the Tour? Man, I hope pappy gets popped - OK not likely now. Maybe that's the point.

Cousins moved back to Perth, apparently a basket case these days. Just stares at the walls.

The YouTube ****take on his documentary quite funny: http://youtu.be/syNvJhwKGY4

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
That chapter was left on the cutting room floor of O'Grady's book. No doubt O'Grady taught young Shleck a thing or two about the Grand Tour recovery regime.

Wiggo is the only cyclist left who comes close to the drug and drinking intake of he Aussies. Last time I saw Wiggo on TV he was clearly off his chops.

Wiggo is the only guy to wear the world championship rings whilst toking on a spliff. Legend.

15hhg5d.jpg

Actually, the arc en ciel and dope go hand-in-hand: Rik Van Steenbergen. Wiggo has it all, athletic virtue and moral vice all at once. I really do fear, not for him, but for his children. Cycling is the most unhealthy of professional sports.

thehog said:
Cousins moved back to Perth, apparently a basket case these days. Just stares at the walls.

The YouTube ****take on his documentary quite funny: http://youtu.be/syNvJhwKGY4

Cousins isn't quite that bad - my partner works in communications for an engineering firm on a resources project and had some limited dealings with him for some promotions.

She said most of the time he was fine but every now and again he'd take a conversation off on an unexpected tangent or lose track of where he was supposed to be at a given time. He had to have his Dad with him most of the time.

He was surprisingly sharp when talking about sport though and not just AFL.

blackcat said:
think he is going down the Bike Tour chaperone route.

he could not get a contract at the start of 2014, so he retired after riding the aus Nationals as a club entrant. I think he may have got a gig at TDU last year riding for the composite team UNI-SA
Davis rode the SKCC SuperCrit again this year, looked ok too apparently. It seems like he's going to join the likes of Duncan Smith and Ben Kersten and just race over the summer now. If he wanted a ride with one of the Aussie Conti squads he'd probably get it.

42x16ss said:
Cousins isn't quite that bad - my partner works in communications for an engineering firm on a resources project and had some limited dealings with him for some promotions.

She said most of the time he was fine but every now and again he'd take a conversation off on an unexpected tangent or lose track of where he was supposed to be at a given time. He had to have his Dad with him most of the time.

He was surprisingly sharp when talking about sport though and not just AFL.

Cheers, thanks. Good to know. Phenomenal player. Was never sure if he was iced the entire time but those first years with the Eagles he was amazing to watch.

Incidentally back in those days Matt Barber was the Eagles weights coach. He was the guy who coached and supplied Capobianco and Gerrard Keating. Think he supplied Shirvington as well.

Stingray34 said:
I've spent some time on holiday in Europe catching up with (much more talented) friends racing in Belgium and France long after I stopped racing. The Aussie pros were party animals. Baden Cooke shoud've won a lot more races, to say the least. I'm rather ashamed to say I've shared spit on a spliff or two with more than a few of these guys, not that they ever seemed to give a damn.

Those boys were monsters, any Aussie who rode at a decent level knew and Cooke was one of the best. I don't know about the current crop (apart from Bobridge and Hepburn's Spanish antics) but Fly V certainly carried the flag with pride!

thehog said:
Cheers, thanks. Good to know. Phenomenal player. Was never sure if he was iced the entire time but those first years with the Eagles he was amazing to watch.

His book suggests that he started getting into it towards the end of high school when it was obvious Cousins was going to be drafted early and become a high profile player. The wrong type of people were gravitating towards him very early and gave more than a little help to go off the rails :(

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
His book suggests that he started getting into it towards the end of high school when it was obvious Cousins was going to be drafted early and become a high profile player. The wrong type of people were gravitating towards him very early and gave more than a little help to go off the rails :(
johnjohn kizon

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I think he wants in as a DS at Orica and is trying the Neil Stephens/Matt White approach. Better off keeping his mouth shut and slipping in when there's a distraction.
in his defense, his best mate Matt White is the best manager and DS in the peloton i reckon. very underrated, Jayco's Jerry Ryan should be sending him around new Ferrari's every offseason. and no, that aint a euphemism.

blackcat said:
in his defense, his best mate Matt White is the best manager and DS in the peloton i reckon. very underrated, Jayco's Jerry Ryan should be sending him around new Ferrari's every offseason. and no, that aint a euphemism.
I agree. The only reasons that Matt White had such a long career are:

1. He's a hilarious SOB. An absolute crackup and was one of the most popular guys on all his squads.

2. From all reports, he was an awesome road captain, like, extra DS good. Shame he struggled to do anything the second road went up :p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I agree. The only reasons that Matt White had such a long career are:

1. He's a hilarious SOB. An absolute crackup and was one of the most popular guys on all his squads.

2. From all reports, he was an awesome road captain, like, extra DS good. Shame he struggled to do anything the second road went up :p
love Whitey.

inherits the mantle of Heiko Salzwedal as le patron of Australian Road cycling in Europe.

Cookies still a boss tho.

TRENDING THREADS