• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omni racer

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about swapping out my dura ace cassette for something lighter. I thought about going red till I found an article about omni racer titanium cassettes. Anyone try them, any issues? They seem well constructed and light but what about durability?

Thanks
Jeff.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Keep your DA cassette and stop being a weight weenie. No replacement will shift as good as the DA cluster, and will wear out much faster. Stop counting grams and go ride your bike. Who was it that said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" ? :D

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Keep your DA cassette and stop being a weight weenie. No replacement will shift as good as the DA cluster, and will wear out much faster. Stop counting grams and go ride your bike. Who was it that said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" ? :D

lol...well said...:p

Duckula said:
Thinking about swapping out my dura ace cassette for something lighter. I thought about going red till I found an article about omni racer titanium cassettes. Anyone try them, any issues? They seem well constructed and light but what about durability?

Thanks
Jeff.

Well, lessee..they are expensive, not as durable as steel, shift not as well.

For all that $, how much weight will you be saving? Couple of power-bars of weight?

Stay away from Red also, noisy, expensive. ''Least expensive compatible cogset and chain". They are consumables, afterall.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies . I was looking at saving some weight that is true but I was also interested in adding North American components to my ride. Just a personal choice but important to me.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Duckula said:
Thanks for the replies . I was looking at saving some weight that is true but I was also interested in adding North American components to my ride. Just a personal choice but important to me.

You really want to support your local economy, you could start by selling off that damaged and repainted off-the-shelf Specialized, get a custom frame built from your nearest frame master, then have a wheel set built with a sweet US made hub set. Forget about using SRAM as an excuse to support American companies. What you're doing with that is supporting the top 3% of a huge corporation that produces the cheapest quality Asian made crap in bikedom. If I was wrong, they wouldn't be the kings of OEM and have the absolute best warranty out there. They need that killer warranty like you wouldn't believe. You feel me? :cool:

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
You really want to support your local economy, you could start by selling off that damaged and repainted off-the-shelf Specialized, get a custom frame built from your nearest frame master, then have a wheel set built with a sweet US made hub set. Forget about using SRAM as an excuse to support American companies. What you're doing with that is supporting the top 3% of a huge corporation that produces the cheapest quality Asian made crap in bikedom. If I was wrong, they wouldn't be the kings of OEM and have the absolute best warranty out there. They need that killer warranty like you wouldn't believe. You feel me? :cool:

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site

Wow! Not a nice response to a guy asking a simple question about Titaniumm Cassettes, all the weight insults and attempting but failing spectacularly in your attempt to come across like the fount of ALL cycling knowledge when in fact all you are doing is simply shouting your own biases and beliefs as facts. Omni make and sell a lot of these, meaning that according to YOU there are a lot of fools out there! I don’t not believe that someone as biased and narrow minded as you appear to be should be listened to.

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site

Thanks
Jeff.
From the very little I know Titanium Cassettes do wear a bit quicker than their steel compatriots and may possibly not shift as well as their Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo equivalents BUT these companies have millions to spend on development!

However if for example you are attempting a very long steep ride I see no problem with using lighter materials for that purpose, if it makes the going easier, these are easy to swap components so you do not need to ride them everyday the Pro Teams will often mix and match components across group sets where compatibility permits, so why shouldn’t you?

I am heading for Mont Ventoux and the Alps Maritime next year 2023 and as a 65 year old who is not 68Kgs I am also considering buying one for the trip.
The appalling response you have received from one individual on here is at best shameful at worst insulting, and is a very real problem with these forums, in that they are all to often inhabited by creeps that often have little or no Cycling experience but feel they have the definitive opinion on everything.
And anyone that dares challenge the creeps opinion is immediately buried under a wall of abuse! If these creeps spent as much time out on their bikes as they do attempting to convince themselves and others THEIRS is the only view with any validity the forums and the world would be a better place!