• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

One for the commentators

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Michel Wuyts is amazing. Some classic expressions like 'en nu ... met de versnelling', but everybody's favourite, 'ujujujujujuj'... I like Steels as well.

ujujujujujuj :D That should be oeioeioeioei if you wrote it down in dutch, but the way he pronounces it sure sounds like ujujujujujuj.
He's great though. Belgian commentary is really good.

Pronouncing names from different languages is done wrong in every nation. Some names are just too hard to pronounce for someone in a different nation. Specially the russian/eastern europe names are quite hard. Personally I think I got quite a good pronouncing of the western european countries names, but Eastern European names are hard. Unless they pronounce their own names and I can repeat it, but if I just look at their names and try to pronounce those names I will probably fail :)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Menchov should be Menshov? What the hell. Why hasn't he corrected people mispronouncing his name? He lives in Navarre, for god's sake - he has to hear everyone saying his name wrong all the time. Are Russians just so accostumed to everyone raping their names that they aren't bothered anymore?
"Menchov" is just a spanish transcription of "???????". If spoken by spanish it actually sounds pretty similar to original. I guess he just got used to it and keeps using it for all languages, that's all.

Proper english transcription is "Menshov" -- but no matter how you transcribe it will never get as close spanish variant.
________
Teen gothic

Kwibus said:
ujujujujujuj :D That should be oeioeioeioei if you wrote it down in dutch, but the way he pronounces it sure sounds like ujujujujujuj.
He's great though. Belgian commentary is really good.
And oeioeioeioeioei is not a Wuytsian invention, it's just a Dutch expression of shock or surprise. His famed "Tommeke, Tommeke, Tommeke, wat doe je nu?" is a direct ripoff of Frank Snoeks' "Timmertje, Timmertje, Timmertje, wat ga je doen?"

hrotha said:
Menchov should be Menshov? What the hell. Why hasn't he corrected people mispronouncing his name? He lives in Navarre, for god's sake - he has to hear everyone saying his name wrong all the time. Are Russians just so accostumed to everyone raping their names that they aren't bothered anymore?

Well, the diffrence between ch and sh is rather minimal compared to some of the other mispronounciations that abound. Totally mispronounced vowels, completely wrong stress or switching of hard and soft consonants are more noticeable.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
And oeioeioeioeioei is not a Wuytsian invention, it's just a Dutch expression of shock or surprise. His famed "Tommeke, Tommeke, Tommeke, wat doe je nu?" is a direct ripoff of Frank Snoeks' "Timmertje, Timmertje, Timmertje, wat ga je doen?"

no! frank stole it from michel! michel is holy! :(
well it doesn't matter he's amazing:p

Jaja and Fignon were also darn good. I was watching some races whilst on holiday in France and I must say that I was amazed :p

Michielveedeebee said:
no! frank stole it from michel! michel is holy! :(
well it doesn't matter he's amazing:p

Jaja and Fignon were also darn good. I was watching some races whilst on holiday in France and I must say that I was amazed :p
Frank Snoeks said it during the 1998 Olympics, when Marianne Timmer won her first gold medal, so I'm afraid he has a case, if it ever comes to court :p

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Frank Snoeks said it during the 1998 Olympics, when Marianne Timmer won her first gold medal, so I'm afraid he has a case, if it ever comes to court :p

yes I know, I was a-kidding :p
and for the Michellovers: here is the Tommekevideo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH9BybSAXbE starring: Tommeke Boonen, Polleke Bettini, nickske Nuyens, Valverde and of course Alexandre Vinokurov and MOEDER WE ZIJN NOG NIET THUIS :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
With that said, Todd Gogulski and Steve Schlanger did a good job on the Giro and Vuelta this season IMHO

Yeah, I always like listening to Gogulski. I think he brings a nice balance between no-nonsense commentating and a natural, irrepressible enthusiasm for the sport. Obviously, his own pro background gives him the credibility and added insight that is invaluable in the booth. Plus, he never sounds likes he's trying to be a "commentator." Not so sure about his sidekick though (although I realize they have different roles). Todd just tells it like is and seems to greatly enjoy the process.

His coverage of the Tour of the Basque Country was great too! :)

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ah but thats not the same. As i understood the comment, Ligget called Gilbert the winner and said Hushovd only got silver.

Why do they wait untill these commentators are really sinile before they retire them.It was the same with David Duffield and that guy who used to do F1 on the BBC,both completely ga ga at the end.
Anyway who is the most unpronounceable name in the bunch.Euskatel must have some good ones.

simo1733 said:
Anyway who is the most unpronounceable name in the bunch.Euskatel must have some good ones.
Depends on your familiarity with the language. Also, I can try to pronounce Rein Taaramae, but I have no clue how it should be pronounced in Estonia.

A race name which is impossible to pronounce (or write): Szlakiem Grodow Piastowskich (POL-2.1)

janraaskalt said:
Depends on your familiarity with the language. Also, I can try to pronounce Rein Taaramae, but I have no clue how it should be pronounced in Estonia.

A race name which is impossible to pronounce (or write): Szlakiem Grodow Piastowskich (POL-2.1)

Since estonian is closely related to finnish, you have have exposure to finnish names it's rather easy to figure out estonian names as well.

And it's often possible to find an example somewhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iho_X1eo_fY

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
I don't know any of the Belgian commentators who people were talking about earlier, although occasionnally I watch races on RTBF2 but then that's French. I don't know their names but I find them pretty good.

My favourite is France 2's team though: Thierry Adam; Laurent Jalabert and the other Laurent (forgot his last name) on the motorbikes, Gérard Holtz, the guy who always does the historic parts ... too bad Laurent Fignon passed away, he was great too.

Then Eurosport Germany's speakers are pretty good too, Ulli Jansch and Carsten Miegels. Unfortunately they often split up, and one will do Tirreno while the other does Paris-Nice for example. They also have a third one now from Southern Germany by the sounds of it, but I don't like him as much.

You don't know Eddy Merckx?

--
I don't think I've ever heard the correct pronunciation of Valverde. Except by the Spanish and Italian commentators.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
My favourite is France 2's team though: Thierry Adam; Laurent Jalabert and the other Laurent (forgot his last name) on the motorbikes, Gérard Holtz, the guy who always does the historic parts ... too bad Laurent Fignon passed away, he was great too.

I like France 2 because they show you the race from inside, with all the interviews with DS, I like too the historic part done by Jean-Paul Olivier.
But Thierry Adam, IMHO, is a complete cycling ignorant. For instance, he once said that Pellizotti is not a climber.
In France, I prefer to watch cycling on Eurosport France, especially when the duo Patrick Chassé and Jacky Durand are commentating. They'e very funny and they know what they're talking about. JF Bernard is sometimes present as well as Virenque. But Virenque is average I think.
Btw, the other Laurent is called Laurent Bellet or something.

TRENDING THREADS