• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

One of the most impressive attacks I've ever seen

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
look from how far he comes and sets in his attack. and if you look even further back in the clip you can see he came back from the 2nd group all the way and then attacked on the chicane which is apart from very small, very hard to ride on because of the curve and it's also so smart because the gap is so small on that curve so no one can counter in his wheel straight away. I was mightily impressed.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought the production was excellent, the TV pics, the race info. If smaller European races did the same, it would be excellent.

The UCI's policy of "globalization" doesn't really seem to be working does it? Will we see many if any of those South American racers in the "Historic Calendar"? Scott/Marcondes were in financial trouble last I heard, but I's love to see more team coming out of other places than Europe, US.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
I love the smaller road races in the Americas. That was a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for posting it.

Parenthetically, did you know that the national sport of Belize isn't football, it's cycling?! They've had a big race there every year since 1928. Pretty cool.

same thing with guadeloupe, colombia and bolivia for instance.

also. in brazil there's been enorm shake-ups in recent years because they had incredible dopingproblems(more so even than portugal) and the story's are often legendary. 3 years ago a dutch team went to race the volta santa catarina only to be relegated and dropped out. within few stages the team could go home as they were all put out of time. the opening ttt alone of only 10 km they lost over 2 minutes to the winners scott marcondes cesar(now a clean pct). a famous story of one of those riders one day was when a cyclist at the startline went to them and litterally opened a box with pills saying here try some of it. I feel sorry for you guys as he smiled LOL!!

also a famous story on cyclingnews years ago I think it was american cyclist scott monninger who rode in brazil once and the braizlian cyclists asked him if he used epo because he couldn't follow them. he said no and they were all shocked as they didn't believe you could be a cyclist without using epo.

well in last few years brazilian cycling has gotten very much dopingfree now especially with young generations and very talented generations some former dopers have made the transition to clean cycling while others have stopped or are suspended.

cycling is a huge sport in brazil, especially in the southern states and as you can see very professional with helicopters live coverage from start to finish and a lot of money. the winner of the copa america cup at the end of the season takes in 1 million dollars.

about globalisation. the uci is solely focussed on africa and some of asia which is pointless really because the talent is in latin america. the latin american cycling country's don't care too much for europe either and seem fine with their local racing. although it isn't too local as races in brazil, uruguay and argentina will often feature riders from all those countrys and chili and paraguay. so there some good mix-up as well. same way the vuelta colombia features a good share of venezuelan riders and ecuador riders often.

the most talent of course is in colombia followed by venezuela and argentina I would say. colombia is making the transition to come to europe in recent years (they also have the most history in europe) and with much success. argentina isn't trying too much and venezuela don't care either.