• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Online gear sites

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I've purchased a number of items from competitivecyclist.com. Never had any problems, and customer service is top notch. They generally carry the higher-end merchandise, but for the less expensive stuff (cheaper cassettes, chains, etc.), performancebike.com has been good.
It seems to me glorycycles.com has a good reputation as well, though I've not had any experience with them.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I also highly suggest nashbar.com I think they are owned by Bitech (also owns Performance) but they usually have screaming deals.

Also I just bought some (2) knockoff bib shorts/jersey set combo from this place in China. Yes they are knockoffs but for the price it is hard to beat. The chamois is pretty decent. I was concerned when I bought the 1st one, but, after getting them in the mail. I was pleasantly surprised. I had a (Real) Giordana bib that I paid $240 for and wore 3 times. Crashed in a local crit and the $240 went into the trash. Some of these (knockoff) kits are $60 and at that price I do not have to care that much about them being destroyed in a crash.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/index....e667n7g2i9t6&light_select=229&keyword=cycling

Happy shopping!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
These are the sites I purchase from. They are all in England and they beat most prices here in the states even with shipping which is mostly free. Hell my last purchase from Nashbar took over a week to get to me, and all of my purchases from the sites below have all been delivered faster.

Wiggle
Ribble
Total Cycling
PBK

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
In Aus Shipping from the US take 3 times the time from the UK, literally 10-14 days against 3-4 days, I have had items in 2 days!
(and the prices for Wiggle and PBK are either minimal (AU$6.90 = US$6) or free if over about $80
Somethings I support my LBS because saving $5 isn't important, but when it $100...

As to you company above, I note they sell Look, in Australia (not sure about the US) they are VERY protective of their name and will only sell to the "right" type of store with expertise, support and reputation. (The importer has other brands that they sell to all stores, but Look is their premium) So here it is usually a good sign

A

Anonymous

my .02 worth

bc_hills said:
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but does anyone have any experience with these guys:

http://www.glorycycles.com/

I'm mostly concerned with turn-around time and, of course, honesty in sales.

Can anyone recommend any other sites?

Thanks!

competativecyclist.com = least competative price wise. check there for the MSR

nashbar = I have bought some of their own branded stuff and it has all been cheap flimsy, shoddy junk. otherwise shimano is shimano, etc. seemed clueless and not very helpful.

excell sports boulder = OK

Jenson USA = OK

Performabce = OK

UC universalcycles.com = very large selection, good information prices good, quick service

biketiresdirect.com = good deals come along sometimes

worldclasscycles = best place for tires and related stuff. prices and selection good all the time. appears to be inhabited by real people(!)

like the song says... "My mother told me, you better shop around."

(PS I'm 50 miles from a BIG bike shop with inventory so I must shop on-line)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've personally used TotalCycling to get my last grouppo.
I paid like $850 or so for the new carbon Centaur group (minus hubs).
And now I see that they have the new Ultegra for really cheap (might have to look into that.)
I was very happy with my purchase, especially with the fast, cheap shipping.
But be forewarned, if you call them, be ready for some SERIOUS northern British accents.
I had to ask them to repeat themselves a few times, and I had to stop myself from laughing. :)
But they're good people who love bikes.

A

Anonymous

If your username means you are BC, then stay away from places like Performance, Nashbar, Glory Cycles and the like.

These places tend to ship with either UPS or Fedex and both of those services will end up costing you a bunch of extra money - they charge you a "brokerage" fee to bring the goods into the country. This is not duty, or taxes or anything else as bike parts are duty free. It is a completely bogus addition to their bottom line.

I have used Biketiresdirect a number of times and my recollection is that they mailed the product - so no extra charges. Same with World Class Cycles.

Also be aware of the tendency of certain of the outlets to charge wildly excessive "shipping" charges to even mail to Canada. Universal Cycles was mentioned. I have used them when in the US on vacation, the shipping charge was $8. The estimated shipping charge - by Universal - to mail the same goods to Canada was $60.

The best outlets, with best prices, and fastest shipping are the UK sites such as PBK, Wiggle, Total Cycling and Ribble.

I have used all of these and have been very happy with the service from all of them.

If you are going to order online from US outlets - only order from those that USPS - otherwise you are going to get a very nasty surprise in the final billing.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I second the UK sites. I have had good luck with them so far. Of course it depends on what one purchases, but stuff coming into Norway can get expensive...

For those of us in the Scandinavian region I have found cyclecomponents.com to be a good online source and it's simplified in that you can pay in Norwegian krone with MVA included in the price...

-myra- said:
These places tend to ship with either UPS or Fedex and both of those services will end up costing you a bunch of extra money - they charge you a "brokerage" fee to bring the goods into the country. This is not duty, or taxes or anything else as bike parts are duty free. It is a completely bogus addition to their bottom line.

Are bike parts really duty free in Canada? I have payed a lot of duties over the years having parts shipped to Canada. You are right about avoiding UPS and sticking to USPS if you are ordering from the States. The brokerage fee is robbery!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
For those ordering gear for import to Canada ex USA, this link may explain charging:http://www.canadaone.com/ezine/sept07/import.html

whilst components may be duty free and tax free, they still need to be cleared/declared across the border for statistical purposes. a broker is not going to make this declaration out of the goodness of their heart - they're not charities! - and you will be charged. hope this helps.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
Are bike parts really duty free in Canada?

icebreaker said:
If the goods are mailed, they will arrive at the post office, in most cases without any duties or taxes.

You should not pay duty, bike parts are duty free (alternate form of transportation is - I think - the category). But you will usually be charged GST.

TRENDING THREADS