• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Operation Puerto

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

rick james said:
alternator said:
"We can't legally release the data but we we have it - would be a great shame if it got out - yoo-hoo, fancy bears, are you listening"
if it was a British Tour winner it would have been realised already

As there were exactly 0 British Grand Tour winners prior to 2006, it would be highly unlikely a British Tour winner was invovled as Wiggins was a 2nd (?) year pro (so possible, although unlikely that he was going to Spain for doping) and Froome hadn't turned pro yet. Most of the names are likely Spanish and Italian and not cyclists.

I think what Ricky is getting at is that British winners are unfairly picked on, discriminated against, treated in a prejudicial manner and held to a higher standard than everyone else, purely because they are British.

Which is bollocks, of course. Ricky only started watching cycling in 2012 do he doesn't know that in the 13 years prior to a British winner, 9 of the Tour winners had their wins revoked :lol:

Reactions: 42x16ss
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
rick james said:
alternator said:
"We can't legally release the data but we we have it - would be a great shame if it got out - yoo-hoo, fancy bears, are you listening"
if it was a British Tour winner it would have been realised already

As there were exactly 0 British Grand Tour winners prior to 2006, it would be highly unlikely a British Tour winner was invovled as Wiggins was a 2nd (?) year pro (so possible, although unlikely that he was going to Spain for doping) and Froome hadn't turned pro yet. Most of the names are likely Spanish and Italian and not cyclists.

Froome was technically still a Kenyan in those days.

GwaneTIme

BANNED
Sep 27, 2019
Visit site
This operation was felt by the bookmakers also. I remember that the indices of some Spanish football teams decreased after this operation. I was betting a lot on the Spanish teams back then, just like I do today. The first decade of the 2000s was shameful for them. But this didn't affect a lot their fans, people like shows, and for them doesn't matter if their team used supplements or not. For some of them is important to have a show to watch, while for others, like me, it's important to have the numbers moving on the table so that they can make money from bets.
My bookmaker: https://www.gtr55.com/บ้านผลบอล

Last edited:
Does anybody know if Oscar Sevilla Operacion Puerto involvement was ever resolved?

Team Medellin is requesting invitation to some of the WT races and I am not sure if that could be a problem for him in the WT races. I know he has raced at the UCI sanctioned Continental level but I am not sure if WT level would make a difference.

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Or at least a published transcript.
As an EN<>ES translator, in the likely event that La Sexta doesn't upload the interview with English subtitles, I'd be happy to pitch in. However, I'm quite busy these days, so it would be of great help if someone could get their hands on a transcription. They should definitely include Spanish subtitles for accessibility purposes (SDH), so producing a transcription might not require any knowledge of Spanish. LMK if you're interested in making this happen.

Here is what a friend posted (on a group in facebook) about what is being said about the interview. (I'll post what he said in Spanish and then the way it's translated)

El médico canario Eufemiano Fuentes será el protagonista, el próximo domingo, en Lo de Évole, programa de entrevistas conducido por el periodista catalán Jordi Évole. En el extracto que el programa ha utilizado para promocionar la emisión, Fuentes considera “casi seguro” que habrá quien esté nervioso por lo que pueda decir.
Fuentes, además, reconoce que “hacía trampas”, evitando, al menos en este extracto, usar la palabra dopaje y añade que “no conozco a nadie que no las hiciera”. Así mismo, asegura que si él contara todo lo que sabe, alguna de las medallas conseguidas por los deportistas españoles en los JJOO de Barcelona de 1992 serían retiradas. Lo de Évole se emitirá el próximo domingo a las 21:25 horas en La Sexta.
Fuente: Ciclo 21.
Canary doctor Eufemiano Fuentes will be the protagonist next Sunday in Lo de Evole, talk show conducted by Catalan journalist Jordi Evole. In the excerpt the program has used to promote the broadcast, Fuentes considers ′′ almost certain ′′ that anyone will be nervous about what they can say.
Sources also recognize that he ′′ cheated ", avoiding, at least in this extract, using the word doping and adding that ′′ I don't know anyone who didn't do them ". He also claims that if he told all that you know, some of the medals achieved by Spanish athletes in the JJOO of Barcelona in 1992 would be withdrawn. Evole's thing will air next Sunday at 21:25 p.m. on La Sexta.
Source: Cycle 21.

We’ve probably all been frustrated by the number of times there were hints that more of the Puerto details would be revealed, and then . . . Nothing. But I’m still interested, because it was so huge, and involved more than just cyclists. And there was that whole thing with the code names on the blood bags that left folks researching what were the names of their dogs, debates about Whose nickname was whose, etc. And it also was disturbing how some riders were outed and damaged their careers and others were not, even though the evidence was sitting in those fridges. So I will still keep tuning in.

We’ve probably all been frustrated by the number of times there were hints that more of the Puerto details would be revealed, and then . . . Nothing. But I’m still interested, because it was so huge, and involved more than just cyclists. And there was that whole thing with the code names on the blood bags that left folks researching what were the names of their dogs, debates about Whose nickname was whose, etc. And it also was disturbing how some riders were outed and damaged their careers and others were not, even though the evidence was sitting in those fridges. So I will still keep tuning in.

You know, thinking about it now, I probably should have titled the thread: Operation Puerto --- The Never Ending Case.

I think you're right about the the fact many will keep tuning in in hopes of just a little new information. Although I think the comment that apparently was made in the report advertising the interview more confirms some speculated thoughts that many of the 1992 Spanish athletes were doping. Also wonder if that comment alludes to it actually being even bigger than has been suspected.

Reactions: Sciatic

TRENDING THREADS