• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Organizing Local MTB Races - 'Fun' Race Formats?

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Hey all y'all,

I'm planning to organize a small XC MTB race series here, and i'm curious what events others have enjoyed or experienced as more 'fun'-oriented race formats..

For example, a Poker race, where riders collect cards on short laps, and then can stop and 'play' when they feel they have a good hand.

What are some other formats that can be done with relatively short loops that would be fun for a wide range of rider levels?

TIA!

Team relay races on a much shorter, faster course (like a mini 8 or 24 hour), but with 4-5 minute laps.

We did this at our last HS race, and it was a huge hit with racers and spectators.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Here in Utah we have a series that takes place at Soldier Hollow, which was the cross country skiing venue for the olympics and is set up for biathalon. So once a month or so the race is a biathalon, using pellet guns provided by the venue. You race a lap then come and shoot and then do another lap or two depending on your category. There are small penalty laps for each missed shot.

Otherwise, a good weekly series is all about relaxed shorter racing. We have another local series that pays out significant cash to the top 3 or 5 in each category for the series. I was second in the Expert B category and received $250 at the end. They also had decent raffles after each race with about half of all participants getting something.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
haha - that could be fun, except that it'd be too easy to shoot people around here! And, being Canada and all, there aren't a lot of guns, pellet or otherwise..haha..

Thanks for the suggestion tho! We've opted to do Mystery TT, Orientation, Poker race and climb/decending relay (ie, climber rides up, passes on to downhiller who comes down the downhill course.)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Did pig race today, every lap you toss the pigs of pass the pigs fame, each team needed a new rider was a great day out team won best crash. points for the way pigs land its on wiki i believe.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
What's the deal with 'pig race', is it first team to a certain number of points?

I'm a fan of hotdog hill climbs, each rider has to do an uphill technical TT while holding a hotdog (or notdog for non-carnivores) in one hand.

Granny gear 2-up sprints on the flat can be hilarious to watch.

TRENDING THREADS