• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oscar Sevilla?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You'll have to excuse me if this has been mentioned somewhere else or part of another thread. I'm phone surfing and it's hard to use the search feature, and I haven't been following all things doping of late. Still, I didn't see anything on it.

Imagine my shock when I looked over and saw this guy riding around the parking lot a couple of days ago before the prologue at Utah? Wasn't he suspended, like a couple of times?? He seems like a really nice guy, btw, so I really didn't have it in me to ask "um, so what the hell are you doing here"?

So what happened with this thing?

TIA

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
You'll have to excuse me if this has been mentioned somewhere else or part of another thread. I'm phone surfing and it's hard to use the search feature, and I haven't been following all things doping of late. Still, I didn't see anything on it.

Imagine my shock when I looked over and saw this guy riding around the parking lot a couple of days ago before the prologue at Utah? Wasn't he suspended, like a couple of times?? He seems like a really nice guy, btw, so I really didn't have it in me to ask "um, so what the hell are you doing here"?

So what happened with this thing?

TIA

I just did a search of the forum and it was covered on this thread here.

In this (in Spanish) article from last October it appears the suspension was lifted in the same way Mosqueras was.

Edit - Just found this article from CN that explains it:
The Spanish Federation ruled that Sevilla should not be suspended since the product is not on the World Anti-Doping Agency list of banned substances. However, it said that if the B sample also showed the presence of the substance, it would have to then decide whether to give Sevilla a doping-related suspension.

The ruling goes along with the Mosquera and De Pena cases. Although they returned “adverse analytical findings”, they were not suspended.

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani explained to Cyclingnews that HES is a forbidden substance, but incurs disciplinary proceedings only when the B sample is also positive.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Leipheimer is not only there, he is the darling of the race. So why not Sevilla and Hincapie and Mancebo and all the other dopers? Sevilla has already been punished by being exiled to race in the Americas, and he was never convicted. It would be a bit of a farce to ban Sevilla while Levi "Astronomically High Off-Score" Leipheimer is allowed to win the race.

Maybe Joe Papp will get in a few good tweets like last year.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Doc!

So, just so I'm getting this right:

-a year to get his B sample open

-"there's no way he would have doped (with a masking agent), since he new he was going to be tested?" (I can only imagine something got lost in the translation on this one).

-"it wasn't on the banned list, so why should he be suspended"?

Hmmm.... I'm not even sure how I feel about this, or am supposed to feel about this. I guess I should be outraged or something, but I think I'm just worn out. I guess the shock effect would have been lessened if I had actually looked at the start list.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Leipheimer is not only there, he is the darling of the race. So why not Sevilla and Hincapie and Mancebo and all the other dopers? Sevilla has already been punished by being exiled to race in the Americas, and he was never convicted. It would be a bit of a farce to ban Sevilla while Levi "Astronomically High Off-Score" Leipheimer is allowed to win the race.

Maybe Joe Papp will get in a few good tweets like last year.

To be totally honest, that's pretty much how I feel about it. Keep in mind, most of the Papp list guys are still racing (and some are still winning), and probably half a dozen guys who testified to the feds that they were boosting are still out there racing. Meanwhile, USADA is busy sanctioning Cat 3' Masters guys. So I guess Sevilla may as well have his hall pass, too.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
Thanks Doc!

So, just so I'm getting this right:

-a year to get his B sample open

-"there's no way he would have doped (with a masking agent), since he new he was going to be tested?" (I can only imagine something got lost in the translation on this one).

-"it wasn't on the banned list, so why should he be suspended"?

Hmmm.... I'm not even sure how I feel about this, or am supposed to feel about this. I guess I should be outraged or something, but I think I'm just worn out. I guess the shock effect would have been lessened if I had actually looked at the start list.

Ooops - shows how often I check the home page of CN, they have an article from today that gives an update on Sevillas case.
"My situation was similar to Ezequiel Mosquera, and for the moment, it is not finished, but I have no answers yet on the decision," Sevilla told Cyclingnews. "I am supposed to find out about the Spanish Federation's decision in November and December. But, I don't think anything will happen."

Like you I was 'meh' when I started reading in to it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts