• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Today I went on one of my usual routes around London . I rode in basically 53 x11/12 on the return leg heading home including long drags. I caught up with another cyclist and had a chat. He was heading for the city "not to far" and back again. We chatted and I told him that todays ride heading back I stay on my 53 X12.
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12. So the chap who has just started his ride tells me he his going to switch down on to his 12 cog. He took off and I managed to stay with him for half the climb but my legs then just gave out. He then just rode off as though he just dropped Bertie.
It has really wound me up. If my legs were fresh or just a bit fresher I would have had no issue keeping up even putting in a dig. Buts it the smugness. I'm sure he will and tell all his mates how he dropped this guy etc etc.
But its bullsh%%.
When I go past a rider unless "I am pushing myself " I usually always ask where they have been. How long they have been out for" I don't like to feel that I am taking advantage.
Its the smugness that I don't like and no respect for the fact you may have been riding already for 2 or 3 hours.
If I see this chap again and have not had such hard ride I will suck his wheel and take off at the appropriate moment. The attitude I hate.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Rule #71. You care too much if it really bothers you.

Your right. But its the smugness and attitude. I think the fact that I sometimes wear MTB shorts etc and don't dress in typical roadie style seems to aggrieve people.
But you are right KingBoonen. I won't deny that a part of it is my ego. I don't liked getting dropped. It's not something I am used even if it was not a even situation ....I'll get over it.
Revenge shall be mine :D

ray j willings said:
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12.

53x12 at say, 80rpm, is 45kmh.

What hills/very long drags around London are these? Also, I remember you mention that you're over 80kg... are you Fabian Cancellara?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Today I went on one of my usual routes around London . I rode in basically 53 x11/12 on the return leg heading home including long drags. I caught up with another cyclist and had a chat. He was heading for the city "not to far" and back again. We chatted and I told him that todays ride heading back I stay on my 53 X12.
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12. So the chap who has just started his ride tells me he his going to switch down on to his 12 cog. He took off and I managed to stay with him for half the climb but my legs then just gave out. He then just rode off as though he just dropped Bertie.
It has really wound me up. If my legs were fresh or just a bit fresher I would have had no issue keeping up even putting in a dig. Buts it the smugness. I'm sure he will and tell all his mates how he dropped this guy etc etc.
But its bullsh%%.
When I go past a rider unless "I am pushing myself " I usually always ask where they have been. How long they have been out for" I don't like to feel that I am taking advantage.
Its the smugness that I don't like and no respect for the fact you may have been riding already for 2 or 3 hours.
If I see this chap again and have not had such hard ride I will suck his wheel and take off at the appropriate moment. The attitude I hate.

this probably belongs in the Fred Thread but alas it takes all kinds and is a good post IMHO:

True. And I really dont like most roadies now and I am one. Its a 2 minute fitness boast....like we can tell anything in 2 minutes bro... Its comical carnival mentality out there. Chest beating. I rode solo with a guy who went full tilt boogie from the first pedal stroke and kept acting like I was killing his routine "dude I thought you were behind me"???. Dude it 6:30 AM and you are surging to zone 5 2 minutes in WTF?? his reply was "did you eat last night?".... um yea but we have a long way to go and i'm a diesel for the first 10 miles you know? then something about average speed blah blah...at mile 70 he was toast fullof excuses like ti was my fault he couldnt peak..???

I was with a new group local LBS shop ride and it was a slow boat to china spin to start. I sit at back typically to gauge skill sets and it was gnar wheel cross so I went to the front and started a dialog on what a good tempo might be to with everyone help to get things going. I took the helm at a meager 18 and noone would come to front. This went on for 25 miles. Typically I'd bail but my wife was in group and getting along with some gals so I chilled. I picked it up a bit and still no help got another 20. Then with 4 miles to shop on false flat 2 dudes who sucked wheel for 3 hours jumped and hammered it out like they were a break away. So I tried to real them in still no help. When I pulled off to make someone pull there was a dude crossing my wheel on the right then they hit it hard and looking for my wife to make sure shes ok I missed their wheels and was off the back. We get to the shop and dudes are strutting like they are the glam show and I "didnt have it in the end" and i hinted that its a better work out for all if we group tempo it with help and the 2 "winners" were like its all about their fitness...then another guy chewed me out for pulling off to the right that I almost hit him like I had no etiquette and made him miss the break. WTF dont cross my wheel on the right side doofus

It all went to hell when Paul Sherwin and Bob roll devised to describe the" echelon" in the TDF coverage

its a first guy to the signal circle jerk out there for sure.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

BeagRigh said:
Why is the gear you were in relevant to you getting dropped and why would you be riding 53x12 uphill?

Confused :confused:

Some days I ride in small gears. So today apart from the early Muswell hill climb [ 53x 24] and a long rise up from elstree heading back into London [53x 18 or around there about 5 cog from the top] I do the whole ride 53 X 12 /11. I do it for strength.

When I caught the chap up I could have speed past but I did not. I waited. I could have switched to easy gears and matched him but I didn't want to divert form my usual routine. I got dropped because I was knackered from the previous climb we did. He climbed in a much easier gear. He had just started out so was fresh I had been out hammering it for nearly 3 hours. He knew this yet still rode off like he defeated me fair and square on the next rise/longish drag we did.
Fair enough I am at the end of a hard ride and he has just started but it was the smugness and attitude that annoyed me. He was no way a better rider just taking advantage of a situation to make himself feel better.
I'm telling you revenge will be mine.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Vino's Mum said:
ray j willings said:
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12.

53x12 at say, 80rpm, is 45kmh.

What hills/very long drags around London are these? Also, I remember you mention that you're over 80kg... are you Fabian Cancellara?

Well I start out from my house and head over towards Crouch end, muswell hill. there are some nice little climbs to get warmed up on. I sometimes head over towards Highgate ,hampstead lots of short or longish climbing over that way. Heading out towards elstree /st albans there are some nice long rises/drags.
If you hammer it you can really get the benefit.

Yes I am Fabian Cancellara :D

Boeing ,,,I am feeling your post man. Today sucked.

I feel your pain Ray, 3 weekends back I was coming towards the end of my usual Sunday morning ride and had been on the bike for around 3 hours when I decided to do 1 more loop around where I live. It features a lovely little hill which us locals call Jacobs ladder. The climb officially (according to Strava) 1.4k's long at around 6.5% but has a lovely 300m section at 17%.

I was caught up by 2 guys and we chatted for a few minutes as we approached the hill, however the one guy just launched it on the climb and shouted 'follow me if you can' in a smug tone whilst his mate decided to wheelsuck me for around 2 minutes as we got on to the steep section, He was only around 30 metres ahead so I flicked the elbow for him to do a turn a couple of times but no chance, he then attacked when my legs were spent and gave me a cheesy smile as he rode past me. Safe to say I was furious and my legs were in pieces.

As you said Ray, I'd love to be able to see them on there again when im fresh.

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
When I caught the chap up I could have speed past but I did not. I waited. I could have switched to easy gears and matched him but I didn't want to divert form my usual routine. I got dropped because I was knackered from the previous climb we did. He climbed in a much easier gear. He had just started out so was fresh I had been out hammering it for nearly 3 hours. He knew this yet still rode off like he defeated me fair and square on the next rise/longish drag we did.
Fair enough I am at the end of a hard ride and he has just started but it was the smugness and attitude that annoyed me. He was no way a better rider just taking advantage of a situation to make himself feel better.
I'm telling you revenge will be mine.

this reads like some diary entry from carrie bradshaw from sex and the city..

you've raised the importance of this person you don't even know to such heights, it's all in your head man. . just let it go.

You ride around in 53x11/12 all day, try and race anyone else on the road and think it matters, weigh 80kgs+ yet ride a bike well under the weight limit....

It all sounds a bit Frederick to me. Or trolling. I'll let you choose.

In the meantime, lighten up, give your knees a rest and save the racing for when you've got a number pinned on.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
I feel your pain Ray, 3 weekends back I was coming towards the end of my usual Sunday morning ride and had been on the bike for around 3 hours when I decided to do 1 more loop around where I live. It features a lovely little hill which us locals call Jacobs ladder. The climb officially (according to Strava) 1.4k's long at around 6.5% but has a lovely 300m section at 17%.

I was caught up by 2 guys and we chatted for a few minutes as we approached the hill, however the one guy just launched it on the climb and shouted 'follow me if you can' in a smug tone whilst his mate decided to wheelsuck me for around 2 minutes as we got on to the steep section, He was only around 30 metres ahead so I flicked the elbow for him to do a turn a couple of times but no chance, he then attacked when my legs were spent and gave me a cheesy smile as he rode past me. Safe to say I was furious and my legs were in pieces.

As you said Ray, I'd love to be able to see them on there again when im fresh.

Spot on. That's how I felt. Its ok for some people to say let it go etc . But I do have an ego [we all do] and it ruined my day.
"Grow up" I hear some of you say "It don't matter" I agree I should but maybe that mindset is what inspires me to try and ride better.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
You ride around in 53x11/12 all day, try and race anyone else on the road and think it matters, weigh 80kgs+ yet ride a bike well under the weight limit....

It all sounds a bit Frederick to me. Or trolling. I'll let you choose.

In the meantime, lighten up, give your knees a rest and save the racing for when you've got a number pinned on.

Well you can see one of my bikes ,Its posted in the Weight weenie thread I tried to get started. Check it out.
I don't ride on those gear choices every day. I just ride hard gears like that once a week for strength/power.
I am going for a ride in about 30 mins, I will take it easy today.
My knees are fine thanks. I do leg extensions. IMO it takes the pressure off the knees.
cheers

Must be a London thing

Went out on a ride last Saturday, guy comes past me on first hill says a friendly hello, not steep but nearly 2 miles in length, just let him go, I have nearly 70 miles of riding ahead of me around the hills of Durham and Northumberland

ray j willings said:
But its bullsh%%.

This is most ridiculous post I've read on here for some time. You have to be trolling. What's your evidence for this guys "attitude" or "smugness"? Maybe he's just faster than you. If someone rolled up to me and randomly told me how he was going to stay in his 53x12 I would assume that he was a complete tosser. If you are really that upset by being dropped by someone, you're in the wrong sport. Grow up.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
But its bullsh%%.

This is most ridiculous post I've read on here for some time. You have to be trolling. What's your evidence for this guys "attitude" or "smugness"? Maybe he's just faster than you. If someone rolled up to me and randomly told me how he was going to stay in his 53x12 I would assume that he was a complete tosser. If you are really that upset by being dropped by someone, you're in the wrong sport. Grow up.

You have missed the point entirely . The fact that I was there and saw the smugness and the attitude is a pretty good reason to assume that. Pricey_sky also posted a similar experience.
If you want to carry slagging my post off because you don't have better things to do or simply have not got the control to ignore the post then you seem to have issues,,, IMO
Jog on

ray j willings said:
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
But its bullsh%%.

You have missed the point entirely . The fact that I was there and saw the smugness and the attitude is a pretty good reason to assume that. Pricey_sky also posted a similar experience.
If you want to carry slagging my post off because you don't have better things to do or simply have not got the control to ignore the post then you seem to have issues,,, IMO
Jog on
He was probably wondering "WTF is this guy doing pushing the big ring and the 12 tooth???" I know I would be.

42x16ss said:
He was probably wondering "WTF is this guy doing pushing the big ring and the 12 tooth???" I know I would be.
+1. Relax, Ray. Maybe he just wanted to sprint up the hill.

The other day I was going up a long hill with a friend and a guy got himself in between us on a fixie. He must've been doing around 25 rpm. I let him stay there for a couple kms out of respect (for real) but them I went to the front and proceeded to drop him a little intentionally but mostly just trying to outrun the mental gif that had become stuck looping in my head of his knee ligaments just snapping.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
42x16ss said:
ray j willings said:
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
But its bullsh%%.

Jog on

I was the one riding in 53t x 12 /11 ....He was spinning an easy gear when I caught him up. We were chatting, he knew I was spent then decided use the same gears as me..Read the post again for clarification.
I had been riding on those gears for nearly my whole ride . he just started his ride with fresh legs.

ray j willings said:
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
But its bullsh%%.

Jog on

You "saw" smugness and attitude. Good for you. Why do you care?

Why do you care if he cares? Apparently it gets him, and he decided to share it. I also have my little pet hate, which is when someone in your group wheelsucks you all the way and then spills their guts out outsprinting you just before you're about to reach a stop. And brag about it. And tell you you suck. Makes me want to pull a Barredo on them.

ray j willings said:
42x16ss said:
ray j willings said:
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
But its bullsh%%.

Jog on

I was the one riding in 53t x 12 /11 ....He was spinning an easy gear when I caught him up. We were chatting, he knew I was spent then decided use the same gears as me..Read the post again for clarification.
I had been riding on those gears for nearly my whole ride . he just started his ride with fresh legs.

let me get this straight...
you tell the other guy you've been riding for a few hours, and also after a climb that your legs are "really feeling it". Coincidentally after self inflicted increased effort from own gearing choice.
Are you wanting him to abandon whatever plan he has as to how his ride is to go, because you're nearly toast and want him to stay with you??

I'm a bit with 46x16ss here - if I'd just started out on a solo training ride, I'd have no qualms chatting to a guy I meet out on the road, but if my plan is to push it up certain hills, then I'm going to regardless of what some other rider I meet wants to do... Likewise in the reverse - I'd have no qualms letting the other guy go regardless of gears or freshness. It's his ride to do as he pleases...

Pricey-sky's experience seems somewhat different as it was a whole ride with a bunch, and not just a pair of riders in passing...