• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

overcoming the dreaded sweet tooth

masking_agent said:
so around late afternoon and sometimes at night I tend to crave something sweet. Any recommendations on a healthier "afternoon" snack vs nutella and bread ? Any recommendations on a healthier non sugary night time snack ?

thx

blackbeanbrowniesbl.jpg

Chocolate Fudge Brownies. Check the link. Not at all as bad as it might sound at first! You'll need to scroll down a bit to find it. There are a lot of great recipes on that page though.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Many naturopaths sugest chromium picklonate in small does daily 200 mcg micrograms should stop craving and will help sugar balance.

Make sure there is none of it in any suppliments you may use so you dont get too much.

Dont buy sweets and chockolate leave it on the supermarket shelf even easter eggs.

Sugar will spike insulin and start you off on a bender.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I usually go for a fruit smoothie, for instance mango, banana and/or strawberries and skimmed milk, the fruit has enough sugar in it so you don't need to add any and you get vitamins an fiber and all that stuff.
You can use a blender or a hand mixer. I also sometimes add some oatmeal or granola just for added texture.

My advice is to stay away not only from the sugar-sugar, but also all the fruit-sugar... It's all spiking your blood sugar and then insulin and then you get the high and then you get the low. Sorry, but it doesn't matter where the sugar comes from.

The combination of where the food is on the GI and how much sugar it's got are the key things.

Not to plug any diets or anything, but personally I was recently on a low-carb diet and then have had a period being off it. When eating to that diet my energy levels changed after a few days - no low spots in the afternoon. My tea/coffee consumption turned from a fix to having a cuppa when I felt like it, not as a drug, I didn't need snacking and I slept less. Did I mention I didn't suffer from going dead in the afternoon? As well as not being bloated either...

As soon as I went off the diet for just a two days or so I went back to feeling like a sack in the afternoon and all the other stuff.

The Chromium advice is good though - or so I believe!

What happend to good old fruit? Is fruit the enemy now! Does everything we eat have to come from a packet thesedays or some fad diet recipe book where they use stevia and aspartamine to 'trick' you into feeling 'satisfied'.? lol!

Whats more natural that satisfying our NATURALLY OCCURRING sweet tooth with some sweet and juicy fruit? Saying thats bad is like making people feel guilty for breathing fresh air! LOL!

Carbs give insulin issues? People need to get up to speed with the research. Check out Dr Barnards clinical trials vs following some Dr Atkins heart attack in a cannister bacon and eggs zero athletic performance quackery. :cool:

Dr-2.jpg

Read Doug Graham's book on fruit and how it improves your health and athletic performance. I love it when people say 'dont eat fruit!' and they are binging on choc cake at home.

IMGA0191-1.jpg

Check out my gals vid on youtube 'I up to 50 bananas a day'.

Want fresh air?
Get outside and breath.

Want sweet?
Get some fruit and enjoy.

durianrider said:
What happend to good old fruit? Is fruit the enemy now!

Erhm, no. Who said that it was?

OP asked for a "non sugary midnight snack" - I pointed out fruit is not non-sugary. Fruit is full of vitamins and antioxidants as well, so def not the enemy. But as for blood sugar and all that - you're not better off going with (most) fruits.

I keep a bag of Dove choc's in the fridge, when I get a sweet craving I eat one, sometimes two, and that does it for me. ...and no I don't want to sit down and eat the whole bag! :)

..btw I am a veggie so this is what I need to do for me...and that is correct, sugar is sugar to your body so not great to overdo anything sweet.

durianrider said:
What happend to good old fruit? Is fruit the enemy now! Does everything we eat have to come from a packet thesedays or some fad diet recipe book where they use stevia and aspartamine to 'trick' you into feeling 'satisfied'.? lol!

Whats more natural that satisfying our NATURALLY OCCURRING sweet tooth with some sweet and juicy fruit? Saying thats bad is like making people feel guilty for breathing fresh air! LOL!

Carbs give insulin issues? People need to get up to speed with the research. Check out Dr Barnards clinical trials vs following some Dr Atkins heart attack in a cannister bacon and eggs zero athletic performance quackery.

Dr-2.jpg

Read Doug Graham's book on fruit and how it improves your health and athletic performance. I love it when people say 'dont eat fruit!' and they are binging on choc cake at home.

IMGA0191-1.jpg

Check out my gals vid on youtube 'I up to 50 bananas a day'.

Want fresh air?
Get outside and breath.

Want sweet?
Get some fruit and enjoy.

erm..is that your pet? snakes are a huge phobia for me and that freaked me right out to see that on here...:(:)...I can appreciate 'her' coloration or whatever you call it...eek

I dont believe in pets personally, actually it was a wild diamond python sunning itself on the ground near where I was. I just got the shot and left it alone.

Here its bigger cousin. This mumma tried to come inside and I had to gently pick it up by the tail to turn its direction to somewhere safer for both us and snakey. Amethystine python it is.

snake.jpg

Saying 'sugar is sugar' is like when non cyclists say 'bikes are bikes'...lol!

With fruit you get ALL the goodies! With refined chocolate crap you get trans fats, oil, grease and god knows what else.

Stay cute
Eat fruit.
thDSC04117.jpg

Sugar IS sugar to your body after it's broken down, other ingredients notwithstanding. No one is saying you have to pack your body with ***t and fats along with the sugar.
I happen to believe in common sense and moderation. Fruit is terrific and I eat it every day, but I also don't think I'm going to die young if I have a treat of something now and then....and I don't necessarily mean junk food binges or such.

That's great that some people are proud of a 'pristine' diet (their def), the reality is , life is short-- take good care of yourself, eat well but don't obsess. There's a bigger picture out there than believing that everything that you are doing is 'right'.
If some diet is what you think is perfect for you and that makes you feel better, great....

actually, at the base level bikes are bikes..lol
they all have a frame and two wheels (standard bikes:)) and they all make people get their **s off the couch and move themselves.

I agree sugar IS sugar so why not just eat the best forms of it ie: sweet fruit when you want something sweet? lol!

My gal speaks about her experiences eating up to 50 RIPE bananas a day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UK-aX0_fAw

This is how my girl friends body changed after dropping the high fat, animal based sugar stuff and instead, picking up fruit when she wanted something sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UK-aX0_fAw