• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oxyclean Classic Brugge - De Panne: They're Cleaning With Air Now! (24th and 25th Mar)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just based off the UAE? He didn't even win a stage. That's like expecting the dominating riders from the Tour Down Under to go on and dominate the rest of the season...

I don't want to sound like I don't like or rate Dekker, but where else has Dekker sprinted and actually won a bunch sprint of a somewhat decent level? I mean, I'll be happy for him if he proves me wrong of course.

I just thought it was pretty clear that Kooij is the man for the bunch sprints in absence of Dylan. Oh well. Let's wait and see.
No, from what I thought I'd seen from looking at social media of the two riders over past years. Obviously now properly looking more in depth at results on somewhere like PCS I've been proved wrong. I still wouldn't say Kooij is a pure sprinter though.

Kooij speed is sick, there is a video of an early trainingcamp this season when he give Dekker a run for his money in a sprint between the two of them and I think David was going quite fast. Last year Olav also made Bauhaus looks very slow in Settimana, but the stage was 100 kms long only. I believe that in traning he can be the fastest Jumbo (behind Groenewegen) even with Van Aert there. But he doesnt seem to have the engine ready to put the same display of power afetr 200 km with the WT riders and in hard or windy conditions, the Slovenian and CRO races are much easier for a very young talent, Coppi Bartali Stage also.

In the other hand Dekker seems more explosive and fast than I initially thought, and he has a big engine and is a perfect rider for windy conditions and for high speed racing of one day races in Belgium. He was in great condition in UAE and he has been training at altitude in Tenerife recently. Maybe considering all the factors he should be the initial leader, at least.

Clipboard.jpg

ciao!

At the moment it seems that only Ewan can offer Bennett any real competition at all. Seven bunch sprints so far this year. Five wins. One loss to Bol when he was way out of position. One loss to Ewan. That’s total early season dominance. Sprints haven’t been this predictable in years
I'd like to see how Merlier goes up against him. He looks absolutely lightening to me, but always seems to come from way back or go really early. Neither of which will work in the big races.
I think both are down to ride the Giro aren't they?

I'd like to see how Merlier goes up against him. He looks absolutely lightening to me, but always seems to come from way back or go really early. Neither of which will work in the big races.
I think both are down to ride the Giro aren't they?
Bennett riding the Giro? I'd expect DQS to send Ballerini there. And I don't know if Merlier is riding the Giro either. Maybe you mean the Tour?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Watching it a second time, it looks even easier. Bennett just sits there, looking totally relaxed as Philipsen and Ackermann pull alongside him. Then he puts the power down and he’s almost immediately three bike lengths clear and celebrating before the line.

Ackermann in the wind alongside Bennett and Morkov for 100m before Bennett kicks. I know it’s extremely hard to beat the fastest sprinter, with the best leadout man and the strongest train, but he has to know that this isn’t a viable tactic.

Philipsen was pretty good, but not currently in Bennett’s division.

Instalment 127 in “It doesn’t matter if you are fast if you are never in a position to compete: The Cees Bol Story”

Anyone know what happened to Demare? Chain?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts