• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Right, first of all I want to admit that I don't really follow track-racing. So... I might ask a really dumb question here! :p

The basic question is: How does it work with the pairs? I've understood that here in Denmark pair number 7 is quite a big deal. During the Rasmussen suspension Michael Mørkøv was talking about, eventually, getting paired with his younger brother due to the awesomeness of a pair of brother's being pair number 7.
However, I'm still a little lost here; does every country have the same number pairs, or is the Seveners always a Danish pair? Also during the Berlin Six Days (I think it was) there was some writing about Alex constantly having to change partners throughout the race... not really sure how that would work.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
the promoters of each Six choose the pairings. tradition has a lot to do with it (hence #7) and also who is riding hot at the moment. the riders have their requests, and in some cases, requirements on who they want to ride with. every riders contract is slightly different, and every event is a new contract. promoters will often put the best rider with one of their (the events) countrymen, to try to ensue a home victory. When a young, talented rider is coming up, the organizers will pair him with a vet. marketing has a lot to do with it, they won't break up the Aussie world champs while they are world champs, and when a rider gets sick/injured during or right before the event, the promoter will bring in an alternate or re-pair a couple pairings, whatever they want. and I'm sure I've probably left something out or got something wrong, but you get the jist of it now.

TRENDING THREADS