• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paracycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
angling to be para millar qua angle angling para millar.

guffaws ensue

#blackcatiness
:D

Michael Gallagher: "my coach Dan who had no idea"
Millar: "my close friend and coach Dave who had no idea despite dating my sister who was running my program, and despite holding my hand right there in that restaurant in Biarritz when I got blitzed and my house got raided by the French police"

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
angling to be para millar qua angle angling para millar.

guffaws ensue

#blackcatiness
:D

Michael Gallagher: "my coach Dan who had no idea"
Millar: "my close friend and coach Dave who had no idea despite dating my sister who was running my program, and despite holding my hand right there in that restaurant in Biarritz when I got blitzed and my house got raided by the French police"

If Dan was a good coach there aren't that many scenario's where you could imagine that statement being true if Gallagher is being honest about only using EPO this year. There would be a big jump in performance from previous seasons data. The coach would have to know.

More likely is that Gallagher has been on the sauce for years and that's whey the coach had no idea, or maybe he did but didn't say anything? Who knows? We are being asked to trust a statement from someone who is not deserving of that trust.

I noticed the outfit Gallagher coaches for pulled all traces of him off their site before the news broke.

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Interesting article. But what I don't understand with Gallagher is he said he obtained a natural Hct of "45.9," that was achieved while clean and boosted with EPO to only "47.7"...a dismal gain of ~3.9% (marginal improvement on VO2max?). However, he says he was seeing a 5% increase in performance...so he must have been a super-high responder or something.

Re: Re:

Nomad said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Interesting article. But what I don't understand with Gallagher is he said he obtained a natural Hct of "45.9," that was achieved while clean and boosted with EPO to only "47.7"...a dismal gain of ~3.9% (marginal improvement on VO2max?). However, he says he was seeing a 5% increase in performance...so he must have been a super-high responder or something.
Performance improvement is due to many physiological factors, and is not solely due to changes in HCT. Keep in mind performance can improve while HCT declines, e.g. through increased blood plasma volume after a block of VO2max work. Training that can also increase cardiac output, and of course peripheral adaptations in the muscles (increased mitochondrial enzyme activity, capillarisation etc).

There would also be natural variation in HCT levels depending on athlete status when blood was taken/checked. e.g. hydration status.

TRENDING THREADS