• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris, July 25 1999, alternate post race interview

A sporting fairytale happened today as cancer survivor Lance Armstrong rolled up the Champs Ellyses as the winner of cycling's most important event the Tour de France. Armstrong who was originally diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1996 and given a less than 50% chance of survival completed an amazing comeback beating all comers to take a stunning victory in Paris after three weeks of gruelling competition. The Texans' success has resonated with millions of people around the world, cycling fans, non-cycling fans, cancer patient and cancer survivors alike.

His story has transcended sport and has also helped restore the reputation of the Tour de France after last years drug affected event. Following the finish of the race, Lance spoke of his comeback from cancer and the problems the sport has experienced in the last year.

“To win the greatest, most beautiful sporting event in the world is truly amazing and I hope my story will help give inspiration to the millions of people around the world affected by cancer. I beat this disease and well you know, I had a low chance of survival but I beat it and then returned to the top level of a very tough sport.”

On the subject of drugs in cycling, Armstrong spoke candidly and strongly,

“For me, this is the a new era for cycling and the rebirth of the Tour de France, last years events were very bad for the Tour and the sport but also very good for those of us who compete clean because it raised the lid on the issue of doping in cycling”.

“You know, when I first turned pro, EPO was still entering the peloton but I still managed to win a World Title in 93. However, the following seasons did not live up to my own expectations due to what I believe was the widespread use of EPO by others. I can tell you, my team Motorola were one of the few teams in the peloton not on this stuff, we knew from talking to guys how joined us from other teams what was going on. It was difficult to speak out at the time as we were nowhere and it would just have sounded like we were a bunch of whiners”.

“Well now as the Tour winner, I can speak out, I was personally delighted with what happened at the Tour last year as I felt this could lead to a rethink in many peoples minds, it was a crossraods for cycling, I saw a light and it was at that time that I though that there could be a possibility to compete for this Tour de France cleanly.”

When asked about how clean the 1999 Tour was and how the authorities could deal with the problem of drugs in cycling, Armstrong was once more open and firm in his words.

“Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that cycling has a clean bill of health now, but the fact that I could win this race clean suggests we are heading in the right direction, this race has been a lot cleaner than previous races”

“I think the UCI, race organisers and teams themselves can do a lot more to eliminate the problem of doping in cycling. There are also a few current investigations in Italy concerning doctors who have less than good reputations, I feel we need to support these investigations and support the riders who are testifying, they need to tell the truth, we cant let the lid go back on this problem”

When asked about hs future plans, Armstrong responded,

“For the future, I want to win more Tours for sure, I am a cyclist, thats my job, outside of cycling, I want to stay cancer free and my focus will be on my cancer charity and raising awareness of this terrible disease, but I will also continue to speak about doping in cycling. I want to be recognised primarily as a cancer survivor who won the Tour, but also as a symbol of clean cycling. I love cycling and the Tour de France is the greatest event in the world and I want it to remain that way”

If only......

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
A sporting fairytale happened today as cancer survivor Lance Armstrong rolled up the Champs Ellyses as the winner of cycling's most important event the Tour de France. Armstrong who was originally diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1996 and given a less than 50% chance of survival completed an amazing comeback beating all comers to take a stunning victory in Paris after three weeks of gruelling competition. The Texans' success has resonated with millions of people around the world, cycling fans, non-cycling fans, cancer patient and cancer survivors alike.

His story has transcended sport and has also helped restore the reputation of the Tour de France after last years drug affected event. Following the finish of the race, Lance spoke of his comeback from cancer and the problems the sport has experienced in the last year.

“To win the greatest, most beautiful sporting event in the world is truly amazing and I hope my story will help give inspiration to the millions of people around the world affected by cancer. I beat this disease and well you know, I had a low chance of survival but I beat it and then returned to the top level of a very tough sport.”

On the subject of drugs in cycling, Armstrong spoke candidly and strongly,

“For me, this is the a new era for cycling and the rebirth of the Tour de France, last years events were very bad for the Tour and the sport but also very good for those of us who compete clean because it raised the lid on the issue of doping in cycling”.

“You know, when I first turned pro, EPO was still entering the peloton but I still managed to win a World Title in 93. However, the following seasons did not live up to my own expectations due to what I believe was the widespread use of EPO by others. I can tell you, my team Motorola were one of the few teams in the peloton not on this stuff, we knew from talking to guys how joined us from other teams what was going on. It was difficult to speak out at the time as we were nowhere and it would just have sounded like we were a bunch of whiners”.

“Well now as the Tour winner, I can speak out, I was personally delighted with what happened at the Tour last year as I felt this could lead to a rethink in many peoples minds, it was a crossraods for cycling, I saw a light and it was at that time that I though that there could be a possibility to compete for this Tour de France cleanly.”

When asked about how clean the 1999 Tour was and how the authorities could deal with the problem of drugs in cycling, Armstrong was once more open and firm in his words.

“Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that cycling has a clean bill of health now, but the fact that I could win this race clean suggests we are heading in the right direction, this race has been a lot cleaner than previous races”

“I think the UCI, race organisers and teams themselves can do a lot more to eliminate the problem of doping in cycling. There are also a few current investigations in Italy concerning doctors who have less than good reputations, I feel we need to support these investigations and support the riders who are testifying, they need to tell the truth, we cant let the lid go back on this problem”

When asked about hs future plans, Armstrong responded,

“For the future, I want to win more Tours for sure, I am a cyclist, thats my job, outside of cycling, I want to stay cancer free and my focus will be on my cancer charity and raising awareness of this terrible disease, but I will also continue to speak about doping in cycling. I want to be recognised primarily as a cancer survivor who won the Tour, but also as a symbol of clean cycling. I love cycling and the Tour de France is the greatest event in the world and I want it to remain that way”

If only......

That arrogant ***

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Well at least he is consistent.... hasn't stopped lying since he won in 1999. What a classic. The Hog and Lance must share and brandy now and then and laugh at this stuff.

I just want to clear a few things up about my initial post as it may be confusing people. This is not an actual interview that happened, it is rather one that I invented, Lance NEVER said these things, at least about the doping issues anyway. The aim of the post was to raise a few questions on peoples opinions on Lance & the doping question. Remember, cycling was at a junction in the "Tour of redemption" 99.

Forget what you know or think about Lance now, think back to 1999 and lets assume Lance WAS clean and made these statements and backed up his word with actions during his career. Would it have made any difference to the doping culture in cycling and subsequently your opinion of Lance.

Likewise, if you believe Lance has always been clean, why do you think he never made statements like this and instead done the exact opposite of what is stated in this fake interview, saying he was surprised by what happened in 98, associating with a dodgy doctor and bullying those who spoke out about doping, Bassons, Simeoni.

Do you think if Lance had taken a stance like in the interview, anything would have changed. Could Lance have been a saviour of cycling?

A

Anonymous

so youre quoting a statement he never made, to make the point that had he made that statement, which he didnt, he would be a hippocrite..

without clearly indicating that that quote was fabricated, i think there could be a slight problem with his whole thread, bordering on libellous, or something or other.. wouldnt surprise me if it vanishes over the weekend.. maybe you should edit the first thread to clearly state that it is a made up statement...