• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Nice 10 March - 17 March 2019 77th edition

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sky's tactics are really a bit disgusting. They continue to getting away with doing nonchalant crap over and over again, but are winning anyways on sheer power anyways and people and commentators are praising them for riding tactically. They are just so much better, teamwise, that its almost impossible to lose man. Keep holding on to dead domestiques for two long, doesn't matter.

Congrats to Egan, but he basically didnt do anything all race other than holding on to Rowe's or Sosa's wheel.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Didn't see it, but Bernal made no attempt to follow Quintana?

None whatsoever.
At least Henao tried to follow Contador in '17, but I guess the team that SKY sent on that occasion was a lot weaker than the ridiculous train they had this time. For this reason, I could not really be bothered watching the stage, seeing how 6 SKY riders kept Quintana on a 50 second leash for most of his brave attack. It seemed inevitable that the long range attack would fail unlike in previous years. Apart from the echelon stages in the beginning of the race and the cat-and-mouse-play between Yates, Martinez and Lopez yesterday, I don't think Paris-Nice was anything special this year. Tirreno, so far, has clearly been the better race.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Sky's tactics are really a bit disgusting. They continue to getting away with doing nonchalant crap over and over again, but are winning anyways on sheer power anyways and people and commentators are praising them for riding tactically. They are just so much better, teamwise, that its almost impossible to lose man. Keep holding on to dead domestiques for two long, doesn't matter.

Congrats to Egan, but he basically didnt do anything all race other than holding on to Rowe's or Sosa's wheel.
lol

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

When a team has the money to buy the best domestiques it's what you get.

Red Rick said:
[quote="tobydawq":371frhbr][quote="Red Rick":371frhbr]Didn't see it, but Bernal made no attempt to follow Quintana?

None whatsoever.[/quote]
Booooo. Kinda disappointing really.[/quote]

He had no reason to follow.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

You are forgetting the great time trial he did.

Re:

yaco said:
Quintana attacked one climb too early - Waited to the second last climb with his team-mates up the road and with more energy, while Sky will have one less rider at the front of the peleton, then he had a better chance of stealing PN.
That's correct. But now we know. I would have done the same as they did since they had 3 guys in front. The problem is that they didn't last long but Soler.

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Didn't see it, but Bernal made no attempt to follow Quintana?

None whatsoever.
Booooo. Kinda disappointing really.
Disappointing yeah, but the reasonable choice. There was no way he was ever gonna lose the race if he just stayed with his team so why should he have made himself vulnerable by isolating himself

I agree totally. It is hardly the fault of Sky for racing in a sensible manner. It would be like a basketball team having a 10 point lead late in the game, and running down the shot clock on every possession, and complaining because they made sure of the victory (in a boring way).

It's the sport itself that needs to change, not the teams. Some sort of a salary cap? I don't know how this would be arranged, as the sport doesn't really own the teams, as they are sponsors that come and go, they are not the Golden State Warriors (well, they created a super team anyway :lol: ).

Any ideas? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Chapeau to Bernal and Team Sky. I feel Egan could have followed Nairo had he been more exposed but with 5 teammates still in the group at the time it was wise for him to put his faith in them to control the gap.

Most eye catching results on GC for me was Madouas in 11th but equal in time for 10th, Naesen in 13th and on that form set to be a beast in the classics plus Jack Haig profiting from Yates losing time in the crosswinds and getting a career best performance in 4th.

TRENDING THREADS