• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2017

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tonton said:
I like the route and praise the race organizers for giving Mont Brouilly another shot. That being said, it could end up cancelled like it was last year. And with that in mind, the Col de la Couillole at close to 1700m, the second week in March, that's a bit too much of a gamble IMO.
Why? Worst case scenario, they cancel Saint-Martin and still ride the MTF, even if it snows the last few kms...

Netserk said:
Tonton said:
I like the route and praise the race organizers for giving Mont Brouilly another shot. That being said, it could end up cancelled like it was last year. And with that in mind, the Col de la Couillole at close to 1700m, the second week in March, that's a bit too much of a gamble IMO.
Why? Worst case scenario, they cancel Saint-Martin and still ride the MTF, even if it snows the last few kms...
Remember when that was the idea last year?

Netserk said:
Tonton said:
Yeah, as Red Rick wrote, we've seen/heard/read this before. But (at least) agree that if you double down on Brouilly after last year's debacle, why gamble with that stage? You could lose both, and it's a much different route, like Tirreno Adriatico last year...GVA for the win (if he races it) and a second black eye for the organization. Greedy, risky...stupid? We shall see. Better be lucky than good, I suppose.

I lived in Nice and was skiing at 1600m in April. And today, I went on French websites and there's a sense of uneasiness coming from posters (some of them locals) about that stage.

Mont Brouilly is in the Beaujolais (Brouilly and Moulin a Vent are the best Beaujolais wines BTW), so that snow last year was a bit of a fluke. But it's nonetheless possible, as we saw.

Close to Nice, there were many really good climbs at 1000m or so, tough ones, and the choice would have been much clever IMO.

Tonton said:
I lived in Nice and was skiing at 1600m in April. And today, I went on French websites and there's a sense of uneasiness coming from posters (some of them locals) about that stage.

Mont Brouilly is in the Beaujolais (Brouilly and Moulin a Vent are the best Beaujolais wines BTW), so that snow last year was a bit of a fluke. But it's nonetheless possible, as we saw.

Close to Nice, there were many really good climbs at 1000m or so, tough ones, and the choice would have been much clever IMO.
Ok. If they have one of those other climbs lined up as an alternative if it does go wrong that would be good. Don't think they've mentioned.

Tonton said:

If they can use climbs with an altitude of 1000m, they can use the MTF as well, no problem. Snow is only a problem on the descent of Saint-Martin, there's absolutely no danger for the riders to ride in the snow in the last few kms of a MTF. We saw that on Terminillo.

Re:

rick james said:
Are the ramps steep enough for Bertie this year?, don't want another Paris-Nice with all his fans moaning saying the climbs were to easy

This year it's
5vonlk.gif

versus
208ilqc.jpg

last year.

That should be difficult enough, and we can assume that it's not very likely that mont Brouilly will be cancelled again.
And we saw what Contador did in the final stage last year.

TRENDING THREADS