• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Nice, Prologue Houillers -> Houillers 2.9 km, Sunday 3rd March

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A prologue like this proves that there's still a lot cycling can do about improving its appeal to the masses. A Sunday afternoon, probably the highest viewing numbers they can get for the entire race, and what do they put on? A meaningless ultra short prologue, where Lady Luck decides upon the winner.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
A prologue like this proves that there's still a lot cycling can do about improving its appeal to the masses. A Sunday afternoon, probably the highest viewing numbers they can get for the entire race, and what do they put on? A meaningless ultra short prologue, where Lady Luck decides upon the winner.

Mountain stage :D

Tour de suisse used to do that :cool:

I will go Matthews, Porte, Gerrans.

In all seriousness i think Gerrans should do a good time here. I do see him coming in the top 10. Roy and Roux will be good here and Westra, TJVG, Chavanel, De Gendt, Gilbert, Howard, Gesink, Costa, Kelderman and Talansky hopefully can do nice rides.

greenedge said:

In all seriousness i think Gerrans should do a good time here. I do see him coming in the top 10. Roy and Roux will be good here and Westra, TJVG, Chavanel, De Gendt, Gilbert, Howard, Gesink, Costa, Kelderman and Talansky hopefully can do nice rides.

Roux not on the startlist either

greenedge said:

Gesink? If there's any TT that doesn't suit him, it's an ultra short technical prologue.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Orbit501 said:
I'm inclined to think Kittel will place above Viviani. Not sure why Viviani seems to be so favoured for this as I can't find any results that match Kittel's at this distance, and in terms of current form I can't see much difference. Am I missing something?

It's because Viviani done did some track and he's a sprinter. He's the type of rider that should have the qualities to do well in short technical prologue's. But yeah, Kittel has shown more in this type of thing obviously, it's just that Kittel has fallen in disfavour on this forum, because he's been disappointing so much lately.

It will be nice to see if Viviani is up for it though; not expecting too much of him, but I won't be suprised if he does well either. Kittel should do better, but I won't be suprised if he disappoints either, because he has had a very crappy start this season.

gruppeto993 said:
anything technical is a recipe for disaster when it comes to gesink.
While it's nice to joke about Gesink's perceived lack of bike handling skills, there's actually not too much evidence for that. He's done his fair share of good technical TTs. But in this case I meant technical in the sense of a lot of corners and a lot of accelerations in a very short distance, that's not his cup of tea.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
search said:
there is a small cobbled hill in there as far as I can remember

It is a pretty fierce climb, I don't know the percentage but it drags on and it's pretty steep. The nice thing is you go in there coming from a downhill, so you have a good speed to start with.

It's a lot of fun to see the race from there, plus they always do it in the evening so the atmosphere is even better after dark :cool:

tdl0604.jpg

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
from various tweets, some riders are opting for standard road bikes - I assume anyone who is even half serious about doing well today will be full TT kit though?

TRENDING THREADS