• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The "race to the sun" is nigh, and being one of my favorite races, I thought I could get the discussion going.

Thoughts on the race? My early prediction is AC remembers to eat this time around :rolleyes:

Link

ImmaculateKadence said:
The "race to the sun" is nigh, and being one of my favorite races, I thought I could get the discussion going.

Thoughts on the race? My early prediction is AC remembers to eat this time around :rolleyes:

Link

Last year's race really was spectacular. I expect this year will be a showdown as well, considering there is more at stake. Evans needs a Tour invite. I expect BMC will be all over this race.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Last year's race really was spectacular. I expect this year will be a showdown as well, considering there is more at stake. Evans needs a Tour invite. I expect BMC will be all over this race.

Evans is on form right now. AC is riding as well. Going to be a big week

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Race Radio said:
Evans is on form right now. AC is riding as well. Going to be a big week

Too bad BMC are riding tirreno and not here ;)

preliminary starting list http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MTk2NTU=

hoping for a good show from mollema, the course should suit him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
stage 5 looks nice

PROFIL.gif

last stage could be decisive too if it comes to that.
Stage 7 too seems ok. not a big finish though.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
That's a shocker. BMC not riding P-N?!? Honestly, I'm surprised.

a lot of people are, I think it was BMC's choice too. The T-A course is nice this year tho (imo).
It only makes sense that they ride PN if they want to increase their chances for a tour wildcard.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
Contador or Valverde will take PN.

Rogers will take TA - although, I might change that selection when I see the start list.

I highly doubt rogers will win considering the course... no time trial, a pretty hilly race on a whole.. asif he will win. Not saying rogers isn't any good here, but I see it unlikely him dominating this kinda race.

T-A will go to someone like sammy sanchez, evans, gesink, nibali, kirchen or schleck.. men who do well on the hills.

TA provisional startlist: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MTk2NTY=
TA route: http://www.cyclingfever.com/stage.html?editie_idd=MTk2NTY=&etappe_idd=MTgxMDg=

blaxland said:
I think Krueziger or Contador will win depending on there peaks.............

I can see these guys with the caisse duo fighting the top 5 out. Maybe frank schleck (if he riders) can do well too considering the limited time trials kms.

I'm tipping AC for the overall (shocking, I know :D), but I believe that Lulu will be riding for Caisse, which will make them an incredibly tough team to be (with Valverde) as well. Too bad Nocentini broke his leg last week. :( I was looking forward to seeing his form compared to the creme de la creme.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I highly doubt rogers will win considering the course... no time trial, a pretty hilly race on a whole.. asif he will win. Not saying rogers isn't any good here, but I see it unlikely him dominating this kinda race.

T-A will go to someone like sammy sanchez, evans, gesink, nibali, kirchen or schleck.. men who do well on the hills.

TA provisional startlist: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MTk2NTY=
TA route: http://www.cyclingfever.com/stage.html?editie_idd=MTk2NTY=&etappe_idd=MTgxMDg=

I can see these guys with the caisse duo fighting the top 5 out. Maybe frank schleck (if he riders) can do well too considering the limited time trials kms.

I haven't seen the route. I assumed there was a time trial. In that case, he won't win.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'm tipping AC for the overall (shocking, I know :D), but I believe that Lulu will be riding for Caisse, which will make them an incredibly tough team to be (with Valverde) as well. Too bad Nocentini broke his leg last week. :( I was looking forward to seeing his form compared to the creme de la creme.

Lulu wasn't originally going to do PN. Have Caisse changed their minds?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
I haven't seen the route. I assumed there was a time trial. In that case, he won't win.

There WAS a time trial. Then they reshuffled the route. Right now it looks like a pre-2006 Tirreno. Freire for the GC, anyone?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
That's a shocker. BMC not riding P-N?!? Honestly, I'm surprised.

they told the organisers not toinvite them as they didn't want to go there without a top quality squad.

Please Note all aussies: SBS will be showing 15 minute highlights of paris nice in the morning...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Good squads from Vacs, BBT and AG2r going, so they should animate it and hopefully pick up a stage or two between them. FDJ look like they have the beginnings of a stage race team there for the first time in ages, which is good to see, though no Di Gregorio is a pity. Sky could be fun to watch in this one too, if they realise that they are realistically not going to win, and look to get in breaks with Pauwels, Gerrans and Cummings.

Quickstep look to be doing their best to support Chava's bid to win. Radioshack are sending their younger guns, and look a hard team to beat, but Astana have the best squad for such a race preliminarily listed, and if they bring them in support, the Accountant could be banking on the win.

TRENDING THREADS