• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix is SO CLOSE

Mar 10, 2009
www.myspace.com
Does anything compare to P-R? I don't think so. Early prediction: Boonen in a 4 up sprint w/ Cancellara, a German, and an American. Maybe Hincapie again?!?Sorry, George buddy but Tom's just too fast.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm with you Cranky McSlik, Paris-Roubaix is the race in my mind. Of course, it was also the first real bike race I was ever exposed to, so that probably contributes to my views.

I can certainly see why your money is on Tom Boonen too. He's in great shape...again.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

I still have a favourite video of P-r from 1992 or thereabouts featuring Gilbert Dulcosel(sp) in a long breakaway,chased by olaf ludwig and greg lemond,awesome stuff.roll on this years edition!

tifosa said:
P-R is the stuff that cyclists and cycling lore are made of. Anyone know the weather forecast? Is Cance riding?

no word on if Fabi's riding or not....but with losing some training time with his recent injury, he may not be in the best of form to re-conquer PR.

I totally agree that PR is the best of the classics. It's pretty much tied between PR, the Tour, and Philly for my favorite races :)

I'm thinking this year it'll be somebody new to take the win, though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Im looking forward to this one aswell as its one of the few races we get live. Im thinking it might be a good year for OGrady to win with Fabs probably not hitting top form yet. Having said that its one of those race you need to be in great form and have a fair amount of luck aswell. Good thing about it is the team tactics really go out the window, no breaks getting pulled back predictably.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RichardH said:
Good thing about it is the team tactics really go out the window, no breaks getting pulled back predictably.

That's why I love the Ardennes and Flandrian classics. At the end it's up to the strongest men in the race to drive the pace from the front. No hiding, just brute strenght over bad roads.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
PR never ever fails to thrill! I think all the really great riders need to perform at PR at least once in their career. LA you listening?

DC

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lance stated in the receint P-R Documentary (Great DVD!) that he regrets not ever competing in the race but when your focuse is on the grand tours it is to risky to enter P-R and best to leave it to the Strong me like Fab and Boonen but for this year I am hoping for a breakthrough rider just to make it more exciting

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ryder hesjedal has shown good form recently, and i reckon he'll get even better but i dont reckon he'll nab it. I also don't think it will be Boonen.
I reckon an up and coming rider that is a bit unknown or Cancellara. I mean 7.6 watts per kilo for a threshold is unbelievable!!!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I know George Hincapie has made this a real focus this year and I think he believes it is now or never. He is such a great guy I would love to see him win it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm making the trip this year for the three - Tour of Flanders, Ghent Wevelgem and Paris Roubaix. Cannot wait! I'm hoping to watch at the Velodrome, and hoping to see a French or Belgian rider come through at the front as I would expect it would be absolutely electric in there. Would like to see Cancellara win it, but I suspect it is not so likely after his training has been hit.

A

Anonymous

Shorty said:
ryder hesjedal has shown good form recently, and i reckon he'll get even better but i dont reckon he'll nab it. I also don't think it will be Boonen.
I reckon an up and coming rider that is a bit unknown or Cancellara. I mean 7.6 watts per kilo for a threshold is unbelievable!!!!

I think Lance can win it, he is just soooooo good.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Eurostar and hotels booked for our seventh pilgrimage to this great event!

Standing alongside the cobbles when the peleton sweeps past makes the hairs on the back of your neck stick up. This is followed by a mad cross-country convoy of vehicles racing to get to the next vantage point. Forget the riders - it's not for feint-hearted spectators either!

For the first time we will be spending a couple of nights in Compeigne before the start at a hotel where traditionally three of the teams stay - looking forward to seeing the teams prepare, and hope to get to the official presentation if possible.

If you only get the chance to watch one bike race, P-R is the one to go for!

Rgds

Pete

Mar 11, 2009
www.birmcc.org.uk
PR is the single day race of the year. Can't wait, hopefully eurosport will manage to show it this year rather than the very poor attempt we have had in the UK for the last couple of years.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dominique

mashjaja said:
That would be amazing and would make me really happy...but it might take him another year or two in these ranks?

Or 6 or 7 years, if he has Hincapie's luck! Either way, I'll keep the hope alive.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If it's possible to say someone deserves to win a bike race, Big George certainly deserves to win this one. I'd love to see him finally get one. But who knows. I suspect Boonen will be there. He's young enough to still be hungry, old enough to be tough enough, experienced enough to know how to win it, and fast enough to beat whoever's left in a sprint. (yes, call me Captain Obvious)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree with Nightfend on the weather. This race calls for stormy weather, and faces lined with mud....

As for possible contenders...I think it's hard to say still...A lot can happen in a month time...
If I have to name someone right now, I'd say Flecha.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
George H

I think this might finally be the year for George. He's had a quiet start to the season, no injuries, good training in ToC and he's riding with a damn good team.

TRENDING THREADS