• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Tours 2010

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
If you're talking about me I said Freire didn't show anything that resembles a good form, but I also said he's Oscar Freire and he wins when you don't expect it. That's what he does.

Anyway why is everybody talking about Freire having a crappy season? This is his best season since 2007.

No i wasnt talking about you. Well maybe, i dont know. Some people just said they didnt expect Freire to win because hes in poor form, and im proud i stood by him.

El Pistolero said:
If you're talking about me I said Freire didn't show anything that resembles a good form, but I also said he's Oscar Freire and he wins when you don't expect it. That's what he does.

Anyway why is everybody talking about Freire having a crappy season? This is his best season since 2007.

Well he has 2 topnodge wins, but besides those 2 wins he was pretty much invisible.

hrotha said:
This is his seventh victory this year. Early in the season he was pretty dominating. He just sucked at the Tour and the Vuelta.

Well that's what got a lot of attention. I missed most of the early season so I'm sorry for ignorance. I was afraid I would mess up by not checking wiki before saying he only won 2 races ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Found it weird Gilbert didn't try anything on the little hills. But perhaps just the jetlag. I don't see him winning Giro di Lombardia this year though.

Kwibus said:
I got home turned the tele on with 3k to go. Hoped it would've been 20k to go, but it came down to a bunchsprint so didn't really matter.

Very nice by Freire. He starts his season with Milan - San Remo and ends with Paris - Tours. Class rider who always manages to win big races every season. On the dutch tele they said he was complaining this morning that he wasn't good and had some pain here and there which was an indication for the commentator that Freire could win since Freire always wins when you don't expect him to win ;)
Freire didn't complain about his form, he just complained about things in general, which usually means he's good. BTW, the commentator who said this was Stef Clement, his teammate.

theyoungest said:
Freire didn't complain about his form, he just complained about things in general, which usually means he's good. BTW, the commentator who said this was Stef Clement, his teammate.

Ah Clement. Like I said before I joined with 3k to go and I heard this voice, but had no idea who it was. Kinda liked it though.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Paris tours, you could watch year after year and it is pretty much decided on the last two km's on the avenue de grammont. Still exciting but it is always either a small bunch getting caught inside the final km or a bunch sprint. Allan Davis should of gone to this race. He would of won imo.

it's not all about form, in my case, I just didn't expect him to be fast enough to win a major bunch sprint anymore. he won in San Remo of course, but that race was way more selctive. At tour of basque country he couldn't even beat Valverde in the sprint and I don't remember having seen him in the front at any other races this season.

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Paris tours, you could watch year after year and it is pretty much decided on the last two km's on the avenue de grammont. Still exciting but it is always either a small bunch getting caught inside the final km or a bunch sprint. Allan Davis should of gone to this race. He would of won imo.

Is that not the same thing that happens at 95% of TDF flat stages? aS for Davies - not sure, I think Freire may still have edcged it, as Davies would not have been able to ride (Astana weren't invited, so Davies couldn't go)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I thought Wigans had finished his season. I see Peter Sagan is riding, he has this in the bag.

I too saw Sagan on the startlist, but not on the final rankings on CN or the Paris-Tours ASO official website... did he just no start? Anyone hear what happened there? :confused:

search said:
it's not all about form, in my case, I just didn't expect him to be fast enough to win a major bunch sprint anymore. he won in San Remo of course, but that race was way more selctive. At tour of basque country he couldn't even beat Valverde in the sprint and I don't remember having seen him in the front at any other races this season.

He did beat Valverde but was relegated for putting Valverde in the barriers. The next day Valverde put him in the barriers and didnt get relegated. Quite unlucky;)

Also Milan San Remo was won by Cav. Any parcors that can be won by Cav can be won by ANY sprinter.