• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Parkpre Italian?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have never heard of them, the site doesnt contain much information about them. The question is are they handmade from italy or just painted in italy.

Certainly the name goes way back as one of the early MTB manufacturers. It jumped out at me for that reason in the forum listing.

Obviously the Italian version is some sort of phoenix on the name. A similar thing happened with Vitus some time ago - resurrected from obscurity.

Not saying this is the case here, but I've read quite a bit about certain factory-style operations from certain rapidly developing countries buying into the US and Europe markets by using a readymade brand name. Not in bike manufacturing, but you know, but it's an easier sell than a homegrown (and therefore unknown) name. This is something these new kids on the block have learned from the Japanese and Korean consumer goods booms. Maybe it's their strategy for gaining traction quicker. And I suppose they think we're dopey enough to buy the story.

I'd say then that more research is advisable. :)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Parkpre USA is run by the original head of Parkpre, Cozy Yamakoshi, son Ken. They are based in California and make a few frames in China. I seem to remember they were making an inexpensive aluminum frame that was good for crits

The Parkpre Italia guys are the former distributor who wanted to keep the name alive when Parkpre shut down about 15 years ago so they licsens the name and had there own bikes made in China. Their bikes are completely different from the new Parkpre USA bikes. They have sponsored one of the top Italian Grand Fondo teams for the last 5-6 years.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
My first real upgrade mountain bike was a Parkpre Sledge Hammer. Tange Prestige XT 1991.

They were based here in SoCal and became quite popular. there is some history on one of the links above.

The Italian bikes popped up in one of my auto searches. I search certain vintage bikes and try to nab them cheap. (It is a disturbing hobby and I wouldn't recommend it.)

As someone mentioned, there isnt much information on the site however my read of the site suggests that the Frames are made in Italy and custom options are available.
Make Your Bike?

@L'arriviste - I was thinking the same thing regarding Vitus and even nukeproof revivals.

Looking at the 29 frame and all the company logos on the toptube another thought is perhaps the Italian company is an importer/distributor and they aquired the Parkpre name brand as a house brand like Salsa QBP etc..

BTW is it me or are there a lot of poor European bike Company websites out there?

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Race Radio said:
Parkpre USA is run by the original head of Parkpre, Cozy Yamakoshi, son Ken. They are based in California and make a few frames in China. I seem to remember they were making an inexpensive aluminum frame that was good for crits

The Parkpre Italia guys are the former distributor who wanted to keep the name alive when Parkpre shut down about 15 years ago so they licsens the name and had there own bikes made in China. Their bikes are completely different from the new Parkpre USA bikes. They have sponsored one of the top Italian Grand Fondo teams for the last 5-6 years.

And nowdays the bikes are made in Italy.
Not the lightest but quiet good if you like lugged frames.

By the way; I like a lot the frame they made for Bartoli (which I suppose to be made by Sarto).

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Honestly I donno their prices, but I know many brands that use same sources for tubes (similar shape overall of the bike), even the shop where I use to go; they do around 1.800euro for a full custom lugged frame.

TRENDING THREADS