• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid Ignores Women's Cycling

If this has already been posted, then just delete it.

Pat is at it again.

In an interview with Rupert Guinness he remains silent to keep the sorry state of Women's Pro cycling just as awful as ever.

The money quote "All I will say is that the UCI continues to work on women's cycling just as it does on other disciplines." Meaning, leaving it alone. He's got money to make at WCP.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...om-greenedge-says-mcquaid-20120120-1qa8f.html

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a disgrace really! The 'wonen's' cycling is in such a bad state really - at least compared to the men's and women's. gets no media attention whatsoever.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
What else is new? The guy only cares about things that will make a profit, he doesn't see a profit in womens cycling. I wonder though how many people would pay attention to womans cycling if the UCI placed more importance on it, if they had more womans cycling events, or if there was more coverage of it?

Forunculo said:
Touche ;) But are their male branch so important in terms of world reaching, because except the 100m the rest is unknow for a comercial target.

It's the central sport in the Olympic Games, which means that one year in four it's as big as sports get. The other three years, well that's a different story.

Track and field stars are often big or biggish names in one country, but because Olympic adulation is so linked to nationalism, an individual is rarely a big commercial prospect internationally.

'I want the UCI to embrace this massive pool of untapped potential
-women and girls-and provide them with as many opportunities to
enjoy cycling, whether for recreation, as a competitor or as a means
of travel.'

UCI President Brian Cookson/5 May 2014/telegraph.co.uk/
on the eve of the inaugural Friends Life Women's Tour of Britain.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Afrank said:
What else is new? The guy only cares about things that will make a profit, he doesn't see a profit in womens cycling. I wonder though how many people would pay attention to womans cycling if the UCI placed more importance on it, if they had more womans cycling events, or if there was more coverage of it?

More coverage sounds like something that could be useful, indeed. I remember watching a World Championship for women a couple of years ago (couldn't say exactly which year anymore, I'm afraid) and it was more exciting than most men's races I'd seen on tv live that year (also more exciting than the men's WC). If that was indicative at all, I'd rather see some more races for women covered live and some less men's races and I doubt I'm the only one at that.

The question remains if the UCI is going to spend more attention to it then. I'd hope so.

HSNHSN said:
More coverage sounds like something that could be useful, indeed. I remember watching a World Championship for women a couple of years ago (couldn't say exactly which year anymore, I'm afraid) and it was more exciting than most men's races I'd seen on tv live that year (also more exciting than the men's WC). If that was indicative at all, I'd rather see some more races for women covered live and some less men's races and I doubt I'm the only one at that.

The question remains if the UCI is going to spend more attention to it then. I'd hope so.
I believe Mr. Cookson announced in March that
all nine races of the 2014 UCI Women's Road
World Cup will be broadcast.

Follow @UCIWomenCycling on twitter for up to
date information, my friend.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
I believe Mr. Cookson announced in March that
all nine races of the 2014 UCI Women's Road
World Cup will be broadcast.

Follow @UCIWomenCycling on twitter for up to
date information, my friend.

I have seen a couple of them. 30 minutes on Sports net 1 which has carried a lot of cycling. My problem is a lot of segments lab led cycling get basketball games shown with maybe 20 minutes of after the end of the game and not even the last 20 minutes of the race just a random 20 minute segment.

Lots of coverage gaffs like the men's final of Paris Roubaix where the second group's finish was completely missed by the TV cameras. Saw a podium right after 10 km to go then after the winer was presented they showed the last 10 km and the finish?
So they are being broadcast but the channel caring them still misses a lot of them .

Are there races that women can compete in? Yes? That is all that matters. It does not matter one iota whether you are paid enough to be "professional". If you want to suck from the advertisers' (and therefore consumers') teat, put on a show that attracts a big-enough audience for this to work. Otherwise STFU and get a job. That's what I and 99.9999% of cyclists do to fund our cycling.