• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid

May 16, 2009
Visit site
Is this guy seriously the head of world cycling? Pity the sport and no wonder it bounces from one crises to the next. I'm not sure if he's stupid or just so pig-headed that he can't see the damage he's doing?

Let's start with how he lost the unlosable public opinion battle between the UCI and ASO. How the greedy ASO was able to come out smelling of roses while McDuck threatened ridiculous sanctions he didn't have the power to impose, is incompetence at its finest. It certainly changed my opinion of the ASO (as did its restructure) that the sport would be nowhere near where it is today without the entrepreneurial organization.

Next up, how he has single-handedly screwed track cycling for the foreseeable future. This time McDill, in his ultimate wisdom, decided to play with the big boys at the IOC and got his pants pulled down as track cycling lost its most prestigious event (IP) and its most entertaining (Madison). I would have thought the corrupt cronies at the IOC and the corrupt cronies at the UCI would have spoken the same language... apparently the corrupt cronies at the IOC are infinitely better at their job than McStupid.

How this great sport has continued to grow in spite of imbeciles like McDick and his predecessor Hein 'baked beans' Verbruggen (who even made the IOC cronies look clean) is amazing. The sooner we get ride of the old brigade (who think that just because they've worked in the sport for 40-years means they deserve to run it) and replace them with well educated sports administrators, the better.

To me, the whole fact that the UCI put its (ridiculously expensive and badly designed) HQ in the middle of a paddock in Aigle, rather than up the road in Lausanne (to be near the IOC) pretty much sums these numskulls up.

But they're just my thoughts.

$100,000 cash for cover

Can anyone explain as to why a cyclist would donate $100,000 to the UCI. Can people get over their love affair with Mr Armstrong and realise what an **** he is.Makes you a wonder what other donations have been made.The sooner this whole doping thing is exposed and we see the real extent of the problem the sooner the sport will be credible.
Bring on Le Tour:cool:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Pat's career was started by him accepting start money from South African phuks. He has shown that he will suck all and every that have a checkbook. he is the isngle most reason that cycling is second tier.. great riders.chit union

When an organization has a phony election, where the outgoing president hand picks his successor and moves him to Switzerland before the election even takes place, the odds are pretty good that the new El Presidente was chosen more for who he knows rather than competence.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have not come to expect boldness of any kind from CN, but I think that now is a time when they could make a positive difference in world cycling. This site is an established and respected part of the world of cycling journalism, and if it took a strong editorial stance that McQuaid's position has become untenable and he should step down I think it would encourage other news outlets to do the same and increase pressure on the UCI to shape up.

Pat McQuaid
"Bordry needs to learn the rules of anti-doping and follow them," he said. "The AFLD has tested riders four times this year when they were not required to do so. The last was just last Friday. They went to test riders from RadioShack who were riding the Dauphine Libere but when they presented a list to the directeur sportif Alain Gallopin, it included the name of a mechanic and a soigneur. How bad is that?"

As bad as the boss of the UCI not knowing the name of his own race?
Bumbling, incompetent and clearly on the back foot.:eek:

As for why the AFLD would ask to test two of the Shack's background boys, anybody who followed last year's Tour should know the answer to that one.

A Different Opinion

I do believe the view expressed here so far is quite different from mine.

The former head of ASO was removed and replaced. Patrice Clerq lost himself a pretty nice leading spot. He is out, and suddenly ASO and UCI are talking and working together again. I would call this smelling like a rose, but what is to be gained in punishing ASO? It was a leadership issue.

Peter Bordry on the other hand. How many different French words are there for ****? This guy is the French version of Richard Pound. Yet another person in power who seems only able to justify their existence by making flaming statements.

Pat McQuaid is dead on with his remarks.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
mcquaid is a disgrace, the UCI needs to go, all of it and be replaced by a proper cycling body with some power and guts. not just the doping stories but all the **** they have done with the track cycling at the olympics too.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
BroDeal said:
When an organization has a phony election, where the outgoing president hand picks his successor and moves him to Switzerland before the election even takes place, the odds are pretty good that the new El Presidente was chosen more for who he knows rather than competence.

Well said.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sibex9591 said:
I do believe the view expressed here so far is quite different from mine.

The former head of ASO was removed and replaced. Patrice Clerq lost himself a pretty nice leading spot. He is out, and suddenly ASO and UCI are talking and working together again. I would call this smelling like a rose, but what is to be gained in punishing ASO? It was a leadership issue.

Peter Bordry on the other hand. How many different French words are there for ****? This guy is the French version of Richard Pound. Yet another person in power who seems only able to justify their existence by making flaming statements.

Pat McQuaid is dead on with his remarks.

McQuaid is in the business of dirt.....the eejit broke the IOC declaration against athletes taking part in south african sport back in the 70's....and therefore cost him his place in representing ireland in the olympics..why? for money? he's as corrupt as Don Corleone

go get an education on sport politics or are you trolling

TRENDING THREADS