• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid's take on the Valverde verdict

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Pat McQuaid: "Let's move forward. As president of the UCI, I prefer to look forward to the cycling of today and the cycling of tomorrow, rather than the cycling of yesterday and years gone by. And that includes Floyd Landis and what have you."

Bet you do, bet you do. Personally, I have a preference for seafood and Chablis. But while I slurp away on my oysters, Landis'll come back and bite your sorry a$$.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
Pat McQuaid: "Let's move forward. As president of the UCI, I prefer to look forward to the cycling of today and the cycling of tomorrow, rather than the cycling of yesterday and years gone by. And that includes Floyd Landis and what have you."

Bet you do, bet you do. Personally, I have a preference for seafood and Chablis. But while I slurp away on my oysters, Landis'll come back and bite your sorry a$$.

Then he follows up with "That is a message for any cyclist today - if he decides to get involved in a doping programme, that it may eventually come back to haunt him. There is no statute of limitations in relation to that, so it is a good lesson from that point of view."

Pat's confused.

hektoren said:

I'd stay away from Gulf oysters though. Unless you like them oily.

Let's look to the future. But only in those cases where the past can hurt my cash cows.

If Pat McQuaid believed in looking to the future before Floyd Landis decided to hurl some excreta at the fan, then he would have left Valverde alone a long time ago. He can be satisfied that he finally got his man after years of trying, but he's done so at a time that means his comments only highlight the inconsistencies that he peddles.

"He was certainly involved in Puerto and that has come back to haunt him. That is a message for any cyclist today - if he decides to get involved in a doping programme, that it may eventually come back to haunt him. There is no statute of limitations in relation to that, so it is a good lesson from that point of view"

Perhaps someone from Texas might disagree with you on "statue of limitations".......

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
McQuaid is useless. It's understandable (if not acceptable) for him to have the attitude to doping that he has, but to do such a bad job at lying about it is ridiculous.

Bobby700c said:
McQuaid is useless. It's understandable (if not acceptable) for him to have the attitude to doping that he has, but to do such a bad job at lying about it is ridiculous.

McQuaid's take on Armstrong. Spot the difference:

"These guys coming out now with things like this from the past is only damaging the sport. If they've any love for the sport they wouldn't do it," he said.

The UCI statement said: "The International Cycling Union has learned of the declarations made by Mr. Floyd Landis and published in the Wall Street Journal.

"The UCI regrets that Mr. Landis has publicly accused individuals without allowing sufficient time for the relevant US authorities to investigate.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
the situation is a joke at the moment, especially highlighted by basso and vino.

2 years isn't long enough, if you were banned pro tour teams supposedly were not allowed to sign you.

so here we have 2 riders who brought the sport in disrepute back on big teams and still young enough to be competitive in grand tours. :(

Thee_chisa said:
the situation is a joke at the moment, especially highlighted by basso and vino.

2 years isn't long enough, if you were banned pro tour teams supposedly were not allowed to sign you.

so here we have 2 riders who brought the sport in disrepute back on big teams and still young enough to be competitive in grand tours. :(

There used to be a gentlemen's agreement amongst the big teams that they wouldn't touch a rider coming off a ban for two years, which made it, in effect, a four year ban, though they could get to one or two big races a year. With Basso, that was ignored because he wasn't actually suspended for doping, only for attempting to (let's ignore the minefield of that, he got around the exile because the BAN wasn't for any actualised misdemeanour), and with Vino, well, since he pretty much owned the team, it was set up for him, he was always going to come back with it.

Now, that agreement is out the window. Abarca Sports are publicly backing Valverde, Euskaltel have said they'll give Mikel Astarloza his old roster spot back when he returns...

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
There used to be a gentlemen's agreement amongst the big teams that they wouldn't touch a rider coming off a ban for two years, which made it, in effect, a four year ban, though they could get to one or two big races a year. With Basso, that was ignored because he wasn't actually suspended for doping, only for attempting to (let's ignore the minefield of that, he got around the exile because the BAN wasn't for any actualised misdemeanour), and with Vino, well, since he pretty much owned the team, it was set up for him, he was always going to come back with it.

Now, that agreement is out the window. Abarca Sports are publicly backing Valverde, Euskaltel have said they'll give Mikel Astarloza his old roster spot back when he returns...

disgraceful situation. bans really need to be life bans to have any effect.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
life ban

i come from the sport of rowing where there is a life ban for positive drug tests. this means rowing is one of the cleanest sports out there (although not totally clean i suspect), still, its a damn sight better than cycling in that regard.

Life bans for doping...lets see how that would change the speed of the peloton...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Life bans would do little to change the sport.

Riders come and go, but the doctors like Ferrari, Cecchini, Santuccione remain. Directors continue to push riders into organized doping programs. All while the UCI plays stupid games and ignores the issue.

The true systemic issue with the sport lies with these criminals, not the riders who may only be in the sport for a few years.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Riders come and go, but the doctors like Ferrari, Cecchini, Santuccione remain. Directors continue to push riders into organized doping programs. All while the UCI plays stupid games and ignores the issue.

The true systemic issue with the sport lies with these criminals, not the riders who may only be in the sport for a few years.

How about a life ban OR a 6 month suspension if you provide evidence and testimony that leads to your supplier and any other participants being penalised?

Race Radio said:

Exactly. I wish more people realized this.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
2ag6zdj.png

"Cycling is clean" UCI President Pat McQuaid told a bewildered press late today.

"It is almost 4 hours since a rider has been suspended or tested positive - this is magnificent progress" he continued while checking his Rolex.

Flanked by 5 beefy lawyers he said he was "delighted" to look forward and celebrate new young champions like Basso, Garzelli and Scarponi.

"Cycling is clean" he continued "because of the 'Biological Passport' and the 'whereabouts' system we now know that all the riders are up to date with their donations," he smiled. "they are all clean".

When pressed on if he accepted the CAS ruling to give Valverde a ban until 2012 McQuaid said "of course we accept the CAS ruling, we also accept Mastercard and Visa".

A lawyer then jumped in and said "please ask these questions tomorrow so we can dismiss it as yesterdays new's".

Asked to clarify on how he can be so confident on the future of the sport when Pawel (20) and Kacper (19) Szczepaniak were sanctioned last week for their second offences, Pat sobbed "those were the dark old days of May 2010" as 2 lawyers held onions under his eyes.

Finishing in an upbeat mood McQuaid said, "Cycling is such an exciting and unpredictable sport - look at today, the leader of the UCI rankings changed without a pedal being turned" he smiled, along with his lawyers...

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
2ag6zdj.png

"Cycling is clean" UCI President Pat McQuaid told a bewildered press late today.

"It is almost 4 hours since a rider has been suspended or tested positive - this is magnificent progress" he continued while checking his Rolex.

Flanked by 5 beefy lawyers he said he was "delighted" to look forward and celebrate new young champions like Basso, Garzelli and Scarponi.

"Cycling is clean" he continued "because of the 'Biological Passport' and the 'whereabouts' system we now know that all the riders are up to date with their donations," he smiled. "they are all clean".

When pressed on if he accepted the CAS ruling to give Valverde a ban until 2012 McQuaid said "of course we accept the CAS ruling, we also accept Mastercard and Visa".

A lawyer then jumped in and said "please ask these questions tomorrow so we can dismiss it as yesterdays new's".

Asked to clarify on how he can be so confident on the future of the sport when Pawel (20) and Kacper (19) Szczepaniak were sanctioned last week for their second offences, Pat sobbed "those were the dark old days of May 2010" as 2 lawyers held onions under his eyes.

Finishing in an upbeat mood McQuaid said, "Cycling is such an exciting and unpredictable sport - look at today, the leader of the UCI rankings changed without a pedal being turned" he smiled, along with his lawyers...

Have I mentioned that you are a comedic genius?

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
2ag6zdj.png

...Pat sobbed "those were the dark old days of May 2010" as 2 lawyers held onions under his eyes.

And UCI is glad to announce an exclusive sponsorship agreement with Duracell and the Radioschlecks, ahem, RadioShack, just in time for the Tour: we just keep on going and going"

Ha, ha, ha, vroom, vroom, Vrijman :D!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
2ag6zdj.png

Brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS